Re: [PPLetterpress] Re: Claude Garamond Promotes His Old Style Typefaces

  • Ph. D.
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 2, 2005
      Paul W Romaine skribis:

      > > But later research by Beatrice Warde in the late
      > > 1930s showed that those model types were actually designed
      > > by Jean Jannon.
      >
      > Not to quibble, but this sounds late. My notes have "Paul Beaujon"
      > (Beatrice Warde) publishing in 1927 _The 1621 specimen of Jean
      > Jannon_.

      Well, that's what happens when I rely on my memory.

      > And I agree with Gerald that Storm's "Jannon" *is* very nice.

      And so do I. It is a very nice rendering.

      Ph. D.
    • Ph. D.
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 2, 2005
        Gerald Lange skribis:

        > Paul W Romaine wrote:
        >>
        >> Not to quibble, but this sounds late. My notes have
        >> "Paul Beaujon" (Beatrice Warde) publishing in
        >> 1927 _The 1621 specimen of Jean Jannon_.
        >
        > Without consulting any sources, wasn't the appellation
        > Paul Beaujon used before Ms Warde was employed
        > by Monotype? <snip>

        I'm relying on my memory again, but as I recall, English
        Monotype offered "Paul Beaujon" a job sight unseen
        based on "his" writings. "He" accepted, and caused
        quite a stir when Beatrice Warde showed up on the first
        day of work. Perhaps she continued to write under that
        name after taking the job at Monotype.

        > Yeah, Storm is quite a typophile's delight. I am so pleased
        > to see the Czech work being revived. When I happened
        > upon Preissig's work way back when I was still quite wet
        > behind the ears, I first understood the power of typographic
        > letterforms. The prices at Storm are actually quite good
        > relative to what many European foundries have charged
        > for fonts. We have quite denigrated the value of digital
        > fonts in the US right from the get go, consequently some-
        > times the Euro pricing comes as a shock.

        Agreed. I haven't seen much Czech work, but I was impressed
        with the work of Oldrich Menhart. The prices do seem reason-
        able for what you get.

        --Ph. D.
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 2, 2005
          When the iron curtain fell the renowned Czech Printing Office (I think that is who held the Menhart) disposed of all its metal type. I was doing the typographic work on a Czech "related" book at the time and with the help of a representative at Velké Losiny papermill the printer-publisher of the book, Robin Price, was able to secure some of the last of Menhart's Manuscript. We wanted to use it for display. Theo Rehak was able to mill it down but there was a problem so we were only able to use it for reproductions, which were then scanned and digitized. My understanding is that Manuscript and others were directly influenced by the earlier Preissig work.

          At one point Letraset was working on digitizing some of the Czech faces but they were quite "harmonized" for the digital environment and thus lost most of their endearing characteristics. P22 has also digitized some the Czech, I was sent the beta Dyrynkova a while back, and it was quite nice. Don't know if that has been released yet.

          http://www.p22.com/

          [P22 is recently the owner of the Lanston Type collection. Hopefully there will be further development of the line.]

          Gerald

          > Agreed. I haven't seen much Czech work, but I was impressed
          > with the work of Oldrich Menhart. The prices do seem reason-
          > able for what you get.
          >
          > --Ph. D.
        • Kathleen Whalen
          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 3, 2005
            There was a number of The Monotype Recorder issued as a tribute/obituary to
            Beatrice Warde, called 'I am a Communicator', edited by Hans Schmoller. It's
            a Quarto sized paperback, not particularly expensive or difficult to find.
            That covers all the ground discussed here so far, with material both by and
            about her. Then there is her book of essays, 'Crystal Goblet', if you want
            to get your teeth into her ideas on type and typography. Her book of letters
            'Bombed but Unbeaten' is rather heavy going, and more wartime propaganda
            than printing related. I'd recommend the first two to anyone sight unseen,
            but the last you might like to flick through and see if it's worth having.

            She was a very interesting writer, straightforward and a good read.

            Graham Moss
            Incline Press
            36 Bow Street
            Oldham OL1 1SJ England