Re: Claude Garamond Promotes His Old Style Typefaces

  • Paul W Romaine
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 1, 2005
      > But later research by Beatrice Warde in the late
      > 1930s showed that those model types were actually designed
      > by Jean Jannon.

      Not to quibble, but this sounds late. My notes have "Paul Beaujon"
      (Beatrice Warde) publishing in 1927 _The 1621 specimen of Jean
      Jannon_. Full citation:

      _The 1621 Specimen of Jean Jannon, Paris & Sedan, Designer & Engraver
      of the Caractères de l'Université, Now Owned by the Imprimerie
      Nationale, Paris_. Edited in facsimile with an Introduction by Paul
      Beaujon. London: Printed at the Chiswick Press for Stanley Morison,
      1927. (Citation from San Francisco Public Library's Garbhorn
      Collection, under Jannon:
      http://sfpl.lib.ca.us/librarylocations/main/bookarts/typespecs.htm)

      And I agree with Gerald that Storm's "Jannon" *is* very nice.

      Paul
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 2, 2005
        Paul

        Without consulting any sources, wasn't the appellation Paul Beaujon used
        before Ms Warde was employed by Monotype? Maybe I'm confused about that.
        I do have some fugitive materials that were published mid-century. There
        was somewhat of a "turn," as I recall, where certain information was
        "presented." A micro-photograph of the Poliphilus comes to mind, that
        upon close examination would lead one to suspect earlier information
        regarding its production. Hard to say definitively. Don't know about the
        later information regarding the Jannon.

        Yeah, Storm is quite a typophile's delight. I am so pleased to see the
        Czech work being revived. When I happened upon Preissig's work way back
        when I was still quite wet behind the ears, I first understood the power
        of typographic letterforms. The prices at Storm are actually quite good
        relative to what many European foundries have charged for fonts. We have
        quite denigrated the value of digital fonts in the US right from the get
        go, consequently sometimes the Euro pricing comes as a shock.

        Hope you are doing well

        Gerald

        Paul W Romaine wrote:

        >>But later research by Beatrice Warde in the late
        >>1930s showed that those model types were actually designed
        >>by Jean Jannon.
        >>

        >Not to quibble, but this sounds late. My notes have "Paul Beaujon"
        >(Beatrice Warde) publishing in 1927 _The 1621 specimen of Jean
        >Jannon_. Full citation:
        >
        >_The 1621 Specimen of Jean Jannon, Paris & Sedan, Designer & Engraver
        >of the Caractères de l'Université, Now Owned by the Imprimerie
        >Nationale, Paris_. Edited in facsimile with an Introduction by Paul
        >Beaujon. London: Printed at the Chiswick Press for Stanley Morison,
        >1927. (Citation from San Francisco Public Library's Garbhorn
        >Collection, under Jannon:
        >http://sfpl.lib.ca.us/librarylocations/main/bookarts/typespecs.htm)
        >
        >And I agree with Gerald that Storm's "Jannon" *is* very nice.
        >
        >Paul
        >

        >Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Ph. D.
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 2, 2005
          Paul W Romaine skribis:

          > > But later research by Beatrice Warde in the late
          > > 1930s showed that those model types were actually designed
          > > by Jean Jannon.
          >
          > Not to quibble, but this sounds late. My notes have "Paul Beaujon"
          > (Beatrice Warde) publishing in 1927 _The 1621 specimen of Jean
          > Jannon_.

          Well, that's what happens when I rely on my memory.

          > And I agree with Gerald that Storm's "Jannon" *is* very nice.

          And so do I. It is a very nice rendering.

          Ph. D.
        • Ph. D.
          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 2, 2005
            Gerald Lange skribis:

            > Paul W Romaine wrote:
            >>
            >> Not to quibble, but this sounds late. My notes have
            >> "Paul Beaujon" (Beatrice Warde) publishing in
            >> 1927 _The 1621 specimen of Jean Jannon_.
            >
            > Without consulting any sources, wasn't the appellation
            > Paul Beaujon used before Ms Warde was employed
            > by Monotype? <snip>

            I'm relying on my memory again, but as I recall, English
            Monotype offered "Paul Beaujon" a job sight unseen
            based on "his" writings. "He" accepted, and caused
            quite a stir when Beatrice Warde showed up on the first
            day of work. Perhaps she continued to write under that
            name after taking the job at Monotype.

            > Yeah, Storm is quite a typophile's delight. I am so pleased
            > to see the Czech work being revived. When I happened
            > upon Preissig's work way back when I was still quite wet
            > behind the ears, I first understood the power of typographic
            > letterforms. The prices at Storm are actually quite good
            > relative to what many European foundries have charged
            > for fonts. We have quite denigrated the value of digital
            > fonts in the US right from the get go, consequently some-
            > times the Euro pricing comes as a shock.

            Agreed. I haven't seen much Czech work, but I was impressed
            with the work of Oldrich Menhart. The prices do seem reason-
            able for what you get.

            --Ph. D.
            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 2, 2005
              When the iron curtain fell the renowned Czech Printing Office (I think that is who held the Menhart) disposed of all its metal type. I was doing the typographic work on a Czech "related" book at the time and with the help of a representative at Velké Losiny papermill the printer-publisher of the book, Robin Price, was able to secure some of the last of Menhart's Manuscript. We wanted to use it for display. Theo Rehak was able to mill it down but there was a problem so we were only able to use it for reproductions, which were then scanned and digitized. My understanding is that Manuscript and others were directly influenced by the earlier Preissig work.

              At one point Letraset was working on digitizing some of the Czech faces but they were quite "harmonized" for the digital environment and thus lost most of their endearing characteristics. P22 has also digitized some the Czech, I was sent the beta Dyrynkova a while back, and it was quite nice. Don't know if that has been released yet.

              http://www.p22.com/

              [P22 is recently the owner of the Lanston Type collection. Hopefully there will be further development of the line.]

              Gerald

              > Agreed. I haven't seen much Czech work, but I was impressed
              > with the work of Oldrich Menhart. The prices do seem reason-
              > able for what you get.
              >
              > --Ph. D.
            • Kathleen Whalen
              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 3, 2005
                There was a number of The Monotype Recorder issued as a tribute/obituary to
                Beatrice Warde, called 'I am a Communicator', edited by Hans Schmoller. It's
                a Quarto sized paperback, not particularly expensive or difficult to find.
                That covers all the ground discussed here so far, with material both by and
                about her. Then there is her book of essays, 'Crystal Goblet', if you want
                to get your teeth into her ideas on type and typography. Her book of letters
                'Bombed but Unbeaten' is rather heavy going, and more wartime propaganda
                than printing related. I'd recommend the first two to anyone sight unseen,
                but the last you might like to flick through and see if it's worth having.

                She was a very interesting writer, straightforward and a good read.

                Graham Moss
                Incline Press
                36 Bow Street
                Oldham OL1 1SJ England