Re: [PPLetterpress] Re: Claude Garamond Promotes His Old Style Typefaces

  • Ph. D.
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 1, 2005
      Gerald Lange skribis:

      > Hi
      >
      > You're up late. I read and write at night so... cat naps for
      > me. Just ain't that much time.

      Yeah, I'm really a night person. I do my best work at night.

      > Actually though, to get even further into this, was thinking
      > about this today, even the term "designed" is probably
      > erroneous, no need to get into it, but observation, not
      > criticism. I like that.
      >
      > Nicolas Barker once explained (patiently) to me that the
      > first use of the digital computer was to try and determine
      > the Garamondness of Garamond. At that time, computers
      > were thought of as what they actually are, sophisticated
      > counting machines. They needed ship building software
      > for this purpose because of the curves, only stuff around
      > that would suffice. Well, they didn't find it, but the investigation
      > led to digital type, which still carry a ship building term
      > "spline." Hey.

      Interesting.

      > Warde revealed a number of things in the later years that
      > were contra to earlier Monotype policies. The spacing
      > between Garamond and Jannon is something like a
      > generation. I guess one would assume that the later
      > transitionals would be preferred, though one might still
      > cast the coin to the originator.
      >
      > One of my favorite typographic pieces is by Carson, the
      > cover of the RayGun issue that announces the "end of
      > print." The spacing aberration of the masthead is
      > unbelievably brilliant.

      Yes, I want to see some of these. I'm gonna try to dig up
      some copies.

      > Hope you are having a happy new year!

      So far, it's been great! Thanks.

      --Ph. D.
    • Paul W Romaine
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 1, 2005
        > But later research by Beatrice Warde in the late
        > 1930s showed that those model types were actually designed
        > by Jean Jannon.

        Not to quibble, but this sounds late. My notes have "Paul Beaujon"
        (Beatrice Warde) publishing in 1927 _The 1621 specimen of Jean
        Jannon_. Full citation:

        _The 1621 Specimen of Jean Jannon, Paris & Sedan, Designer & Engraver
        of the Caractères de l'Université, Now Owned by the Imprimerie
        Nationale, Paris_. Edited in facsimile with an Introduction by Paul
        Beaujon. London: Printed at the Chiswick Press for Stanley Morison,
        1927. (Citation from San Francisco Public Library's Garbhorn
        Collection, under Jannon:
        http://sfpl.lib.ca.us/librarylocations/main/bookarts/typespecs.htm)

        And I agree with Gerald that Storm's "Jannon" *is* very nice.

        Paul
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 2, 2005
          Paul

          Without consulting any sources, wasn't the appellation Paul Beaujon used
          before Ms Warde was employed by Monotype? Maybe I'm confused about that.
          I do have some fugitive materials that were published mid-century. There
          was somewhat of a "turn," as I recall, where certain information was
          "presented." A micro-photograph of the Poliphilus comes to mind, that
          upon close examination would lead one to suspect earlier information
          regarding its production. Hard to say definitively. Don't know about the
          later information regarding the Jannon.

          Yeah, Storm is quite a typophile's delight. I am so pleased to see the
          Czech work being revived. When I happened upon Preissig's work way back
          when I was still quite wet behind the ears, I first understood the power
          of typographic letterforms. The prices at Storm are actually quite good
          relative to what many European foundries have charged for fonts. We have
          quite denigrated the value of digital fonts in the US right from the get
          go, consequently sometimes the Euro pricing comes as a shock.

          Hope you are doing well

          Gerald

          Paul W Romaine wrote:

          >>But later research by Beatrice Warde in the late
          >>1930s showed that those model types were actually designed
          >>by Jean Jannon.
          >>

          >Not to quibble, but this sounds late. My notes have "Paul Beaujon"
          >(Beatrice Warde) publishing in 1927 _The 1621 specimen of Jean
          >Jannon_. Full citation:
          >
          >_The 1621 Specimen of Jean Jannon, Paris & Sedan, Designer & Engraver
          >of the Caractères de l'Université, Now Owned by the Imprimerie
          >Nationale, Paris_. Edited in facsimile with an Introduction by Paul
          >Beaujon. London: Printed at the Chiswick Press for Stanley Morison,
          >1927. (Citation from San Francisco Public Library's Garbhorn
          >Collection, under Jannon:
          >http://sfpl.lib.ca.us/librarylocations/main/bookarts/typespecs.htm)
          >
          >And I agree with Gerald that Storm's "Jannon" *is* very nice.
          >
          >Paul
          >

          >Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Ph. D.
          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 2, 2005
            Paul W Romaine skribis:

            > > But later research by Beatrice Warde in the late
            > > 1930s showed that those model types were actually designed
            > > by Jean Jannon.
            >
            > Not to quibble, but this sounds late. My notes have "Paul Beaujon"
            > (Beatrice Warde) publishing in 1927 _The 1621 specimen of Jean
            > Jannon_.

            Well, that's what happens when I rely on my memory.

            > And I agree with Gerald that Storm's "Jannon" *is* very nice.

            And so do I. It is a very nice rendering.

            Ph. D.
          • Ph. D.
            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 2, 2005
              Gerald Lange skribis:

              > Paul W Romaine wrote:
              >>
              >> Not to quibble, but this sounds late. My notes have
              >> "Paul Beaujon" (Beatrice Warde) publishing in
              >> 1927 _The 1621 specimen of Jean Jannon_.
              >
              > Without consulting any sources, wasn't the appellation
              > Paul Beaujon used before Ms Warde was employed
              > by Monotype? <snip>

              I'm relying on my memory again, but as I recall, English
              Monotype offered "Paul Beaujon" a job sight unseen
              based on "his" writings. "He" accepted, and caused
              quite a stir when Beatrice Warde showed up on the first
              day of work. Perhaps she continued to write under that
              name after taking the job at Monotype.

              > Yeah, Storm is quite a typophile's delight. I am so pleased
              > to see the Czech work being revived. When I happened
              > upon Preissig's work way back when I was still quite wet
              > behind the ears, I first understood the power of typographic
              > letterforms. The prices at Storm are actually quite good
              > relative to what many European foundries have charged
              > for fonts. We have quite denigrated the value of digital
              > fonts in the US right from the get go, consequently some-
              > times the Euro pricing comes as a shock.

              Agreed. I haven't seen much Czech work, but I was impressed
              with the work of Oldrich Menhart. The prices do seem reason-
              able for what you get.

              --Ph. D.
              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 2, 2005
                When the iron curtain fell the renowned Czech Printing Office (I think that is who held the Menhart) disposed of all its metal type. I was doing the typographic work on a Czech "related" book at the time and with the help of a representative at Velké Losiny papermill the printer-publisher of the book, Robin Price, was able to secure some of the last of Menhart's Manuscript. We wanted to use it for display. Theo Rehak was able to mill it down but there was a problem so we were only able to use it for reproductions, which were then scanned and digitized. My understanding is that Manuscript and others were directly influenced by the earlier Preissig work.

                At one point Letraset was working on digitizing some of the Czech faces but they were quite "harmonized" for the digital environment and thus lost most of their endearing characteristics. P22 has also digitized some the Czech, I was sent the beta Dyrynkova a while back, and it was quite nice. Don't know if that has been released yet.

                http://www.p22.com/

                [P22 is recently the owner of the Lanston Type collection. Hopefully there will be further development of the line.]

                Gerald

                > Agreed. I haven't seen much Czech work, but I was impressed
                > with the work of Oldrich Menhart. The prices do seem reason-
                > able for what you get.
                >
                > --Ph. D.
              • Kathleen Whalen
                Message 7 of 13 , Jan 3, 2005
                  There was a number of The Monotype Recorder issued as a tribute/obituary to
                  Beatrice Warde, called 'I am a Communicator', edited by Hans Schmoller. It's
                  a Quarto sized paperback, not particularly expensive or difficult to find.
                  That covers all the ground discussed here so far, with material both by and
                  about her. Then there is her book of essays, 'Crystal Goblet', if you want
                  to get your teeth into her ideas on type and typography. Her book of letters
                  'Bombed but Unbeaten' is rather heavy going, and more wartime propaganda
                  than printing related. I'd recommend the first two to anyone sight unseen,
                  but the last you might like to flick through and see if it's worth having.

                  She was a very interesting writer, straightforward and a good read.

                  Graham Moss
                  Incline Press
                  36 Bow Street
                  Oldham OL1 1SJ England