letterpress recomendations

  • filmaker0012001
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 30, 2004
      Most of the information I've seen here relates to the use of proof
      presses. Does anyone have any recomendation/information on using PPL
      with letterpress', such as a Kelsey or Pilot?

      Any replies apreciated.
    • Katie Harper
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 30, 2004
        I have used polymer a lot with platen presses. What would you like to know?

        Katie Harper

        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 30, 2004
          Hello

          Generally, printing principles are printing principles and apply
          across the board. However, in regard to these type of presses I would
          suggest some specifics.

          Photopolymer requires that all things given, all things should be
          quite tight and precise. Higher than normal roller settings that can
          be "consistently" maintained, very hard packing, etc. To some extent,
          these presses cannot quite provide this. But, for the most part, that
          is of less concern since the point of these presses is not necessarily
          the precise presswork of the type than can be obtained by more
          industrial oriented presses.

          The suggestions I usually make are that you use a thicker plate (.057
          to .060) rather than a shallow plate (.037 to .039). That you do not
          waste your money on a high-end flatbase (both the Patmag and the
          Boxcar Base are ideal for your purposes). And that you make sure you
          buy the correct size base for the press, meaning that it will not only
          fit in the chase with all its accruements (obviously) but that you
          have room for your gauge pins, etc., outside of the base area.

          Gerald

          --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "filmaker0012001"
          <fsmith01@r...> wrote:

          > Most of the information I've seen here relates to the use of proof
          > presses. Does anyone have any recomendation/information on using PPL
          > with letterpress', such as a Kelsey or Pilot?
          >
          > Any replies apreciated.
        • filmaker0012001
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 3, 2005
            --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Katie Harper <knharper@v...>
            wrote:
            > I have used polymer a lot with platen presses. What would you like
            to know?

            > Katie Harper

            Dear M. Harper,
            Thank you for your offer and sorry to take so long to reply. To tell
            the truth, I know virtually nothing about PPL, although I am trying
            to learn more. My specifics are that I am going to do some regular
            letterpress and that if more of a particular work is required later,
            can I use a PPL and get a printing of similar quality and what
            problems might I have with it?

            Respectfully,
            F. Smith
          • Katie Harper
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 3, 2005
              Do you mean by ³regular letterpress² using metal type? Without getting too
              technical, basically what you do on any press is make the printing surface
              ³type high² and print from that. The platen presses have a different action
              from a cylinder press, such as a Vandercook, and, as Gerald pointed out, the
              print quality will be slightly different, all else being equal. However,
              platens are perfectly capable of producing good work using either type or
              polymer plates. With type, you set the type and lock it into a chase, and
              that goes into the press, usually vertically (hence the emphasis on good
              lockup). With polymer, you put the plate on a base and lock the BASE into
              the chase. You can keep the base locked up and simply take one plate off and
              put another one down, depending on your layout.

              When I was working with C&Ps, I used the Boxcar base and the plastic-backed
              plates. I would sometimes have problems with inking due to the peculiarities
              of the way the platen rollers and springs all work. I believe that Harold
              Kyle at Boxcar has developed a base that is lower to accommodate a plate
              that has deeper relief, which should help in that regard, but I haven¹t
              tried it. I suggest you go to www.boxcarpress.com for more information.

              Good luck!

              Katie Harper

              on 1/3/05 12:54 PM, filmaker0012001 at fsmith01@... wrote:

              > --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Katie Harper <knharper@v...>
              > wrote:
              >> > I have used polymer a lot with platen presses. What would you like
              > to know?
              >> >
              >> > Katie Harper
              >> >

              > Dear M. Harper,
              > Thank you for your offer and sorry to take so long to reply. To tell
              > the truth, I know virtually nothing about PPL, although I am trying
              > to learn more. My specifics are that I am going to do some regular
              > letterpress and that if more of a particular work is required later,
              > can I use a PPL and get a printing of similar quality and what
              > problems might I have with it?
              >
              > Respectfully,
              > F. Smith

              > *
              > *
              > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

            • Frederick Smith
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 3, 2005
                Dear K. Harper,
                Yes, I meant using metal type to create the original, then keeping a
                'master copy' to burn a PPL plate if more were needed later. I've seen some
                ads in "THE PRINTER", but wasn't sure it was an option I could use.
                Again, thank you for your reply.
                Respectfully,
                Frederick Smith