Re: [PPLetterpress] On bibliographic ghosts

    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 30, 2004
      Paul

      I have a small collection of these (less than a dozen), and none of the
      titles you have listed are part of it. Seems a bit odd though that so
      many titles from the published listing would never have been released.
      Then again, as Graham pointed out, forthcoming titles are sometimes
      ghosts in the making. Got a few of those in my catalog as well!!!

      Gerald

    • Paul W Romaine
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 30, 2004
        Gerald and Paul (hello, oh name-sake),

        There is a distinction between "bibliographic ghosts" that result from
        never having been issued/published (announced but never printed),
        versus those which are false references, done whether in error, for
        entertainment (literary, jocular), or in fraud (the late-night
        freshman term-paper, the result of fevered creativity, replete with
        fake citations). Henry Miller's joke (listing a book which Tim Barrett
        never wrote) rebounded on him when Tim and Sid Berger (with help from
        Paul Duensing) faked a titlepage for the same book. Sid Berger's
        _Anatomy of a Literary Hoax_ (1994) recounts the tale. (See Oak Knoll
        listing: http://www.oakknoll.com/detail.php?d_booknr=41476&d_currency=)

        A different sort of "ghost-writing" occurs in _A Bibliography of Enoch
        Soames (1862-1897)_ by Mark Samuels Lasner, the Washington bibliophile
        and collector of Sir Max Beerbohm. The bibliography is, in fact,
        tongue-in-cheek: decadent modernist poet Soames is an invention of
        Beerbohm who appears in a short story of the same name with a listing
        of his works (including his only collected book of poetry,
        _Fungoids_). According to the story (a bit hazy in my mind this
        morning), the Devil brings despairing Soames through time to the
        British Library in 1999 to show him _A Bibliography of Enoch Soames_.
        Samuels Lasner published the booklet in 1999 so that the shade of
        Soames might, indeed, see his bibliography at the BL as depicted in
        the story. Mark tells me that all the references are excruciatingly
        accurate (from Beerbohm or from scholarly and sale citations of the
        Beerbohm story) and he only faked a single titlepage! So I suppose
        this constitutes an un-ghosting of sorts...

        Happy New Year to all,

        Paul