Re: [PPLetterpress] On bibliographic ghosts

  • Paul Aken
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 30, 2004
      Speaking of bibliographic ghosts, the forerunner of GATF/PIA (Graphic Arts
      Technical Foundation) and PIA (Printing Industries of America) was United
      Typothetae of America. UTA published a series of small books "Typographic
      Technical Series for Apprentices" from 1918 through 1930. There are 64
      books listed in the bibliography of each book, with titles and authors.

      I have been searching for years and have found no evidence that the
      following books have ever been published:

      Part No. Title Author
      > I 8 Mechnical Feeders and Folders William E. Spurrier
      > I 14 Relief Engravings Joseph P. Donovan
      > II 19 General Job Composition None
      > II 23 Typecasting and Composing Machines A. W. Finlay, Editor
      > Section I - The Linotype L. A. Hornstein
      > Section II - The Monotype Joseph Hays
      > Section III - The Intertype Henry W. Cozzens
      > Section IV - Other Typecasting &
      > Typesetting Machines Frank H. Smith
      > IV 26 Making Ready on Platen Presses T. G. McGrew
      > IV 27 Cylinder Presswork T. G. McGrew
      > V 31 Book Binding John J. Pleger
      > VII 44 Elements of Typographic Design Harry L. Gage
      > VII 46 Lettering in Typography Harry L. Gage
      > VII 48 Making Dummies and Layouts Harry L. Gage
      > IX 56 Elements of Cost in Printing Henry P. Porter
      > IX 57 Use of a Cost System Henry P. Porter
      > IX 58 The Printer as a Merchant Henry P. Porter
      > IX 59 Fundamental Principles of Estimating Henry P. Porter
      > IX 60 Estimating and Selling Henry P. Porter
      > IX 61 Accounting for Printers Henry P. Porter
      > X 62 Health, Sanitation and Safety Henry P. Porter
      > X 63 Topical Index F. W. Hamilton
      > X 64 Courses of Study F. W. Hamilton

      Does anyone have a copy of any of these books or are they bibliographic
      ghosts and have never been published.

      Thanks in Advance.

      Paul Aken
      The Platen Press
      Zion, Illinois 60099
      USA

      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 30, 2004
        Paul

        I have a small collection of these (less than a dozen), and none of the
        titles you have listed are part of it. Seems a bit odd though that so
        many titles from the published listing would never have been released.
        Then again, as Graham pointed out, forthcoming titles are sometimes
        ghosts in the making. Got a few of those in my catalog as well!!!

        Gerald

      • Paul W Romaine
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 30, 2004
          Gerald and Paul (hello, oh name-sake),

          There is a distinction between "bibliographic ghosts" that result from
          never having been issued/published (announced but never printed),
          versus those which are false references, done whether in error, for
          entertainment (literary, jocular), or in fraud (the late-night
          freshman term-paper, the result of fevered creativity, replete with
          fake citations). Henry Miller's joke (listing a book which Tim Barrett
          never wrote) rebounded on him when Tim and Sid Berger (with help from
          Paul Duensing) faked a titlepage for the same book. Sid Berger's
          _Anatomy of a Literary Hoax_ (1994) recounts the tale. (See Oak Knoll
          listing: http://www.oakknoll.com/detail.php?d_booknr=41476&d_currency=)

          A different sort of "ghost-writing" occurs in _A Bibliography of Enoch
          Soames (1862-1897)_ by Mark Samuels Lasner, the Washington bibliophile
          and collector of Sir Max Beerbohm. The bibliography is, in fact,
          tongue-in-cheek: decadent modernist poet Soames is an invention of
          Beerbohm who appears in a short story of the same name with a listing
          of his works (including his only collected book of poetry,
          _Fungoids_). According to the story (a bit hazy in my mind this
          morning), the Devil brings despairing Soames through time to the
          British Library in 1999 to show him _A Bibliography of Enoch Soames_.
          Samuels Lasner published the booklet in 1999 so that the shade of
          Soames might, indeed, see his bibliography at the BL as depicted in
          the story. Mark tells me that all the references are excruciatingly
          accurate (from Beerbohm or from scholarly and sale citations of the
          Beerbohm story) and he only faked a single titlepage! So I suppose
          this constitutes an un-ghosting of sorts...

          Happy New Year to all,

          Paul