  • Michael Barnes
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 30, 2002
      Dear Friends,

      I am new to the group, have two Washington handpresses back to back, one
      with metal type in it, the other soon to be set up to do a little book with
      polymer plates (am waiting for a friend locally to get his development unit
      repaired).

      I'll be near Los Angeles in around a month's time and wonder about notable
      presses to visit: I mean the machines and the people who run them.
      Unfortunately I won't be there over a Saturday so will miss my pilgrimage to
      the International Printing Museum.

      Thanks for your help,

      Michael Barnes
      Vancouver
    • Michael Barnes
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 28 7:11 AM
        I have a Nuarc vacuum frame with pulse xenon light source. When I have tried
        to make photopolymer plates from film negs, I have been unable to get
        exposure on my step gauge to the number recommended by Gene Becker (it was a
        long time ago so I don't remember the exact numerical step).

        Do you think this is a problem with the light source? What is a recommended
        light source?

        Michael Barnes
        Vancouver
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 3, 2002
          Oh yeah.

          Michael Barnes wrote:

          > "Finer points..." -- that must make you a student of Dowding, Gerald. The
          > Vancouver Public Library had a copy of his book, which I read years ago when
          > I did a lot of typesetting (always on the computer). It taught me enough to
          > regret all the setting I had done before. M. Barnes
          >

          > To respond to this message or post a message to the membership:
          > PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
          >
          > Encountering problems?
          > PPLetterpress-owner@yahoogroups.com

        • Michael Barnes
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 2, 2002
              In my shop we have been using and printing Indesign files since 2 came out.
              It presents no problems because one of my staff loves it and works
              comfortably in Illustrator and Photoshop anyway. Using OS10 on the Mac we
              can even open PC Indesign files along with the PC fonts.

              We have no experience with Open type yet as far as I know. But at a recent
              trade show in Toronto I watched an Adobe instructor demonstrate wonderful
              Indesign features: like type transparency, type stroke and fill (all while
              editable) and a font character display which is far better than Keycaps.

              As to PDF, we receive and print plenty of them but because we seldom know
              how they were made, we are left with mysteries at the end. Be cautious
              importing PDFs into Quark picture boxes and then printing. Recently we have
              had numerous font defaults at the rip when we followed that method, yet when
              we print from Acrobat the fonts print correctly. Can anyone enlighten me on
              that? It may be wiser to import PDFs into Indesign and print from there,
              since then we are remaining in the Adobe family, so to speak.

              Michael Barnes
              Vancouver