Re: [PPLetterpress] Honeycomb bases and magnetic pads for photopolymer plates

  • Regis Graden
    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 21, 2004
      Gerald,
      You are correct you know. Photo engravings mounted on patent base has worked quite well for 70 years or so.

      Happy Holidays,

      Regis

      Gerald Lange <bieler@...> wrote:

      Regis

      I'd say $$$, but I suspect the pads would be quite expensive. I've also checked the pricing on new low profile Sterling honeycombs and with hooks and all and we are getting quite near Bunting pricing. Or maybe I should say industry pricing. Not that I have a problem with that, someone has to pay for the engineering and manufacturing - which is why there are no new letterpress presses out there). Just to remind myself (eBay and Letpress can confuse one as to the value of letterpress things), I occasionally look at the reply to a letter to Vandercook asking for the pricing on a new SP-15. In 1975. Lordy, I could have purchased a new car for that. Unfortunately, no money for the press or the new car.

      I do find it more convenient to use copper photo engravings mounted on patent bases for four-color work. I just don't have enough specific size magnetic flatbases to make that quite work for photopolymer.

      Gerald

      Regis Graden wrote:

      >Why not have both worlds? I have honeycomb bases with hooks and bunting along with Pat's bases. I'm covered for whatever comes along. I can use unmounted engravings or polymer. Though seldom use engravings or mags.
      >
      >Regis
      >

      >Gerald Lange <bieler@...> wrote:
      >Regis
      >
      >I think the overriding concern here would be if you already had a honeycomb base and would like to have the flexibility to print either metal photoengraved plates or photopolmer plates on it. Honeycombs and the older diagonal groove bases are quite precise and have the added benefit of adjustable and accurate registration capabilities thanks to the toggle hooks.
      >
      >I'd agree the Bunting is a pretty good product, it's been around for quite some time, and is used by many commercial concerns. I like my Bunting bases mainly because I don't have to think about them, or mess with them. I think of them as just a higher bed. Drop the plate on, register, and print. No further fuss or muss.
      >
      >I don't need the magnetic pads, but sure would like to give them a shot, just out of curiousity.
      >
      >Gerald

      Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT