Re: [PPLetterpress] Is it just me?

  • Regis Graden
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 10, 2004
      Dear Barb,

      It is an age old custom for printers to name certain pieces of familiar equipment. The Heidelberg platen press is an engineering marvel from Germany and has been referred to as the "Windmill" for as many years as I can recall.

      There are many other examples of important tools used in letterpress that are nicknamed. I don't believe it is intended to be cute, I think it is a term of endearment.

      Regis

      barb tetenbaum <btetenbaum@...> wrote: Yahoo! Groups Survey
      Please help us to improve Yahoo! Groups. Take the survey now!
      I know I'm going to take hell for asking this: but is
      it just me or does anyone else cringe when a
      Vandercook is referred to as a "Vandy"? This press is
      a truly remarkable piece of engineering and the
      company that designed it deserves to have its name
      dignified and not cute-ified.

      A normally pretty mellow,
      Barb Tetenbaum

    • Fritz Klinke
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 10, 2004
        I live, breath, and almost eat Vandercook everyday and do not use or like the
        term Vandy. But then I don't like the post office directed 2 letter state
        designations either.

        Fritz

        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 10, 2004
          I don't cringe when I hear the word Vandy, but I tend to think less of
          the person using it. It's not all that hard to say or spell out
          Vandercook.

          Some kind of cutesy laziness.

          Sort of like the folks who use lowercase in email... (as long as we
          are getting into pet peeves) or when providing contact addresses on
          eBay (do they really have that much faith in the delivery services?).
          Got one of the latter today for a shipment overseas. I actually could
          not figure out how to address it properly. A while back, I received a
          shipment returned back from Germany as the German post office will not
          deliver your package if you do not spell out the city name in full
          caps. And they actually take the time to send you a separate letter
          informing you of this.

          Gerald

          --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, barb tetenbaum <btetenbaum@y...>
          wrote:
          > I know I'm going to take hell for asking this: but is
          > it just me or does anyone else cringe when a
          > Vandercook is referred to as a "Vandy"? This press is
          > a truly remarkable piece of engineering and the
          > company that designed it deserves to have its name
          > dignified and not cute-ified.
          >
          > A normally pretty mellow,
          > Barb Tetenbaum
        • iranewlander
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 10, 2004
            --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "Gerald Lange" <bieler@w...>
            wrote:

            > I don't cringe when I hear the word Vandy, but I tend to think less
            of the person using it. It's not all that hard to say or spell out
            > Vandercook. >
            > Some kind of cutesy laziness.
            >
            > Sort of like the folks who use lowercase in email... (as long as we
            > are getting into pet peeves) or when providing contact addresses on
            > eBay (do they really have that much faith in the delivery services?)

            Gerald, I plead guilty to using the abbreviation to which you have
            adverted (mentioned, actually) but I assure you no disrespect was
            intended, nor any laziness. Rather, it was intended as an expression
            of affection for the press I have come to love.
            I know it sounds crazy, but sometimes with no jobs pending I go out
            and speak quietly to my press, gently passing my hands over the
            roller, patting as I would my dear Golden Retriever.
            No, no disrespect, no laziness - how can one be lazy with that with
            which one has spent so many sleepless nights? - and no shortcuts.
            Just love, pure love. Isn't that what the world needs now?
            Ira.
          • iranewlander
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 10, 2004
              ... name dignified and not cute-ified.

              > A normally pretty mellow,
              > Barb Tetenbaum

              Dear Barbara,
              Perhaps you are right after all.
              Ira.
            • James Dissette
              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 10, 2004
                I'll bet Merganthaler had a pet name for his first
                Linotype. After taking one apart and putting it back
                together, I sure did.

                Jim Dissette
                --- Gerald Lange <bieler@...> wrote:

                > I don't cringe when I hear the word Vandy, but I
                > tend to think less of
                > the person using it. It's not all that hard to say
                > or spell out
                > Vandercook.
                >
                > Some kind of cutesy laziness.
                >
                > Sort of like the folks who use lowercase in email...
                > (as long as we
                > are getting into pet peeves) or when providing
                > contact addresses on
                > eBay (do they really have that much faith in the
                > delivery services?).
                > Got one of the latter today for a shipment overseas.
                > I actually could
                > not figure out how to address it properly. A while
                > back, I received a
                > shipment returned back from Germany as the German
                > post office will not
                > deliver your package if you do not spell out the
                > city name in full
                > caps. And they actually take the time to send you a
                > separate letter
                > informing you of this.
                >
                > Gerald
                >
                > --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, barb tetenbaum
                > <btetenbaum@y...>
                > wrote:
                > > I know I'm going to take hell for asking this: but
                > is
                > > it just me or does anyone else cringe when a
                > > Vandercook is referred to as a "Vandy"? This press
                > is
                > > a truly remarkable piece of engineering and the
                > > company that designed it deserves to have its name
                > > dignified and not cute-ified.
                > >
                > > A normally pretty mellow,
                > > Barb Tetenbaum

                The all-new My Yahoo! - Get yours free!
                http://my.yahoo.com
              • iranewlander
                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 10, 2004
                  "...gently passing my hands over the roller..."

                  make that "cylinder," of course.

                  Ira.
                • innererklang@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 11 , Dec 10, 2004
                    Barb--
                    Amen. But what really drives me to drink is the colon parenthesis thing. Ok,
                    it might have been funny, dare I say it, "cute," once, but we're in the 21st
                    century now. Can we give it a rest?

                    Mudinyoureye,

                    Mark
                  • edgar L weber
                    Message 9 of 11 , Dec 11, 2004
                      Reading thru this debate reminded me of my first exposure to a Vandercook.
                      Some years ago I spent several weeks rebuilding the freight elevator in a
                      large commercial print shop. They had 2 Vandercook proof presses. My
                      recollection is that the pressmen referred to one as either "the big
                      Vandercook" or "the proof press".
                      The other, which was not used much, was the "Handy Dandy Vandy".
                      I suspect this had something to do with the Jack Daniels which was kept
                      behind the ink cans in its cabinet. The Jack Daniels was usually resorted
                      to on days when printing was NOT being fun.

                      Ed Weber, HOBBY printer & elevator mechanic (retired).
                      The Tombstone Beaver Press