RE: [PPLetterpress] Is it just me?

  • Mark Wilden
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 10, 2004
      "Vandy" never bothered me. :) Nicknames become "correct" in proportion to
      how often they're used.

      I don't believe companies or machines deserve respect - only people. Maybe
      I'll drop Robert R Vandercook (great-grandson of the company's founder) a
      line and ask him what he thinks.

      On the other hand, I do sympathize. There is a group of programming authors
      called "The Gang of Four" and another called the "Three Amigos" and I find
      these quite cringe-worthy.

      >From: barb tetenbaum [mailto:btetenbaum@...]

      >I know I'm going to take hell for asking this: but is
      it just me or does anyone else cringe when a
      Vandercook is referred to as a "Vandy"? This press is
      a truly remarkable piece of engineering and the
      company that designed it deserves to have its name
      dignified and not cute-ified. <
    • Regis Graden
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 10, 2004
        Dear Barb,

        It is an age old custom for printers to name certain pieces of familiar equipment. The Heidelberg platen press is an engineering marvel from Germany and has been referred to as the "Windmill" for as many years as I can recall.

        There are many other examples of important tools used in letterpress that are nicknamed. I don't believe it is intended to be cute, I think it is a term of endearment.

        Regis

        barb tetenbaum <btetenbaum@...> wrote: Yahoo! Groups Survey
        Please help us to improve Yahoo! Groups. Take the survey now!
        I know I'm going to take hell for asking this: but is
        it just me or does anyone else cringe when a
        Vandercook is referred to as a "Vandy"? This press is
        a truly remarkable piece of engineering and the
        company that designed it deserves to have its name
        dignified and not cute-ified.

        A normally pretty mellow,
        Barb Tetenbaum

      • Fritz Klinke
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 10, 2004
          I live, breath, and almost eat Vandercook everyday and do not use or like the
          term Vandy. But then I don't like the post office directed 2 letter state
          designations either.

          Fritz

          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 10, 2004
            I don't cringe when I hear the word Vandy, but I tend to think less of
            the person using it. It's not all that hard to say or spell out
            Vandercook.

            Some kind of cutesy laziness.

            Sort of like the folks who use lowercase in email... (as long as we
            are getting into pet peeves) or when providing contact addresses on
            eBay (do they really have that much faith in the delivery services?).
            Got one of the latter today for a shipment overseas. I actually could
            not figure out how to address it properly. A while back, I received a
            shipment returned back from Germany as the German post office will not
            deliver your package if you do not spell out the city name in full
            caps. And they actually take the time to send you a separate letter
            informing you of this.

            Gerald

            --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, barb tetenbaum <btetenbaum@y...>
            wrote:
            > I know I'm going to take hell for asking this: but is
            > it just me or does anyone else cringe when a
            > Vandercook is referred to as a "Vandy"? This press is
            > a truly remarkable piece of engineering and the
            > company that designed it deserves to have its name
            > dignified and not cute-ified.
            >
            > A normally pretty mellow,
            > Barb Tetenbaum
          • iranewlander
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 10, 2004
              --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "Gerald Lange" <bieler@w...>
              wrote:

              > I don't cringe when I hear the word Vandy, but I tend to think less
              of the person using it. It's not all that hard to say or spell out
              > Vandercook. >
              > Some kind of cutesy laziness.
              >
              > Sort of like the folks who use lowercase in email... (as long as we
              > are getting into pet peeves) or when providing contact addresses on
              > eBay (do they really have that much faith in the delivery services?)

              Gerald, I plead guilty to using the abbreviation to which you have
              adverted (mentioned, actually) but I assure you no disrespect was
              intended, nor any laziness. Rather, it was intended as an expression
              of affection for the press I have come to love.
              I know it sounds crazy, but sometimes with no jobs pending I go out
              and speak quietly to my press, gently passing my hands over the
              roller, patting as I would my dear Golden Retriever.
              No, no disrespect, no laziness - how can one be lazy with that with
              which one has spent so many sleepless nights? - and no shortcuts.
              Just love, pure love. Isn't that what the world needs now?
              Ira.
            • iranewlander
              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 10, 2004
                ... name dignified and not cute-ified.

                > A normally pretty mellow,
                > Barb Tetenbaum

                Dear Barbara,
                Perhaps you are right after all.
                Ira.
              • James Dissette
                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 10, 2004
                  I'll bet Merganthaler had a pet name for his first
                  Linotype. After taking one apart and putting it back
                  together, I sure did.

                  Jim Dissette
                  --- Gerald Lange <bieler@...> wrote:

                  > I don't cringe when I hear the word Vandy, but I
                  > tend to think less of
                  > the person using it. It's not all that hard to say
                  > or spell out
                  > Vandercook.
                  >
                  > Some kind of cutesy laziness.
                  >
                  > Sort of like the folks who use lowercase in email...
                  > (as long as we
                  > are getting into pet peeves) or when providing
                  > contact addresses on
                  > eBay (do they really have that much faith in the
                  > delivery services?).
                  > Got one of the latter today for a shipment overseas.
                  > I actually could
                  > not figure out how to address it properly. A while
                  > back, I received a
                  > shipment returned back from Germany as the German
                  > post office will not
                  > deliver your package if you do not spell out the
                  > city name in full
                  > caps. And they actually take the time to send you a
                  > separate letter
                  > informing you of this.
                  >
                  > Gerald
                  >
                  > --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, barb tetenbaum
                  > <btetenbaum@y...>
                  > wrote:
                  > > I know I'm going to take hell for asking this: but
                  > is
                  > > it just me or does anyone else cringe when a
                  > > Vandercook is referred to as a "Vandy"? This press
                  > is
                  > > a truly remarkable piece of engineering and the
                  > > company that designed it deserves to have its name
                  > > dignified and not cute-ified.
                  > >
                  > > A normally pretty mellow,
                  > > Barb Tetenbaum

                  The all-new My Yahoo! - Get yours free!
                  http://my.yahoo.com
                • iranewlander
                  Message 8 of 11 , Dec 10, 2004
                    "...gently passing my hands over the roller..."

                    make that "cylinder," of course.

                    Ira.
                  • innererklang@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 11 , Dec 10, 2004
                      Barb--
                      Amen. But what really drives me to drink is the colon parenthesis thing. Ok,
                      it might have been funny, dare I say it, "cute," once, but we're in the 21st
                      century now. Can we give it a rest?

                      Mudinyoureye,

                      Mark
                    • edgar L weber
                      Message 10 of 11 , Dec 11, 2004
                        Reading thru this debate reminded me of my first exposure to a Vandercook.
                        Some years ago I spent several weeks rebuilding the freight elevator in a
                        large commercial print shop. They had 2 Vandercook proof presses. My
                        recollection is that the pressmen referred to one as either "the big
                        Vandercook" or "the proof press".
                        The other, which was not used much, was the "Handy Dandy Vandy".
                        I suspect this had something to do with the Jack Daniels which was kept
                        behind the ink cans in its cabinet. The Jack Daniels was usually resorted
                        to on days when printing was NOT being fun.

                        Ed Weber, HOBBY printer & elevator mechanic (retired).
                        The Tombstone Beaver Press