RE: Vandercook SP-15 Trouble Inking & Oiling

  • michael babcock|interrobang
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 10, 2004
      Jenni,

      this is impossible assuming the driving gear is fitted on your rear form
      roller, and it is properly engaging the fine gear track between the bed and
      the rear roller bearer surface.

      is the gear on the roller? it absolutely will drive the rest of the inking
      system.

      -

      regarding oiling, as others have commented, oil and wipe. the idea is to
      leave a minute film of oxidation protection, while cleaning off abrasive
      dust & grime. be good to your bed bearer and cylinder bearer surfaces.
      ALWAYS wipe these down before every run. i guarantee your rag will come away
      soiled.

      you'll note that the roller blocks have little red dots. in machine-speak,
      that means 'oil here'. the two cylinder oil holes are denoted the same.
      there is an oil hole on the pad lever that resets the press on print when it
      returns to rest. with the cylinder rolled forward over the bed you'll see
      the pad sitting at bed level below the side gauge on your feed table.

      note the bearings that support the cylinder on the bed bearers while the
      press is on trip and on return from print. you can wipe them while you run
      the cylinder up and back on trip. don't pinch your fingers.

      a drop of oil on each end of the vibrator roller (the small one) where it
      sits in the saddle. Vaseline on the worm-gear/crescent in the ink cylinder
      (the large one) to keep that gig lubed.

      i'm using 3-in-One SAE 20 'motor oil'. nice dropper spout too.

      good luck.

      --
      best, m | interrobangletterpress.com

      > Message: 18
      > Date: Thu, 9 Dec 2004 16:20:56 -0500
      > From: "Jenni Won" <jenniwon@...>
      > Subject: RE: Vandercook SP-15 Trouble Inking
      >
      > it is when I go to print that the rollers stop rolling
    • Jenni Won
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 10, 2004
        Thanks Everyone!

        I will have to revisit the studio this weekend and check things out now
        knowing what I know.

        Reading Michael's response, the driving gear - which is in tact - must not
        be hitting properly hitting the gear track. I'm not sure though, how things
        got so out of whack.

        Thanks for the tips on oiling. I've only been able to find the 2 red dots
        for the cylinder bearing so the detailed description helps very much!

        Jenni

        this is impossible assuming the driving gear is fitted on your rear form
        roller, and it is properly engaging the fine gear track between the bed
        and
        the rear roller bearer surface.

        is the gear on the roller? it absolutely will drive the rest of the inking
        system.

        -

        regarding oiling, as others have commented, oil and wipe. the idea is to
        leave a minute film of oxidation protection, while cleaning off abrasive
        dust & grime. be good to your bed bearer and cylinder bearer surfaces.
        ALWAYS wipe these down before every run. i guarantee your rag will come
        away
        soiled.

        you'll note that the roller blocks have little red dots. in machine-speak,
        that means 'oil here'. the two cylinder oil holes are denoted the same.
        there is an oil hole on the pad lever that resets the press on print when
        it
        returns to rest. with the cylinder rolled forward over the bed you'll see
        the pad sitting at bed level below the side gauge on your feed table.

        note the bearings that support the cylinder on the bed bearers while the
        press is on trip and on return from print. you can wipe them while you run
        the cylinder up and back on trip. don't pinch your fingers.

        a drop of oil on each end of the vibrator roller (the small one) where it
        sits in the saddle. Vaseline on the worm-gear/crescent in the ink cylinder
        (the large one) to keep that gig lubed.

        i'm using 3-in-One SAE 20 'motor oil'. nice dropper spout too.

        good luck.

        --
        best, m | interrobangletterpress.com

        > Message: 18
        > Date: Thu, 9 Dec 2004 16:20:56 -0500
        > From: "Jenni Won" <jenniwon@...>
        > Subject: RE: Vandercook SP-15 Trouble Inking
        >
        > it is when I go to print that the rollers stop rolling

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor