Re: beginner, printing from photopolymer plates

    Message 1 of 24 , Dec 8, 2004
      Fritz

      Well, maybe they are 2.5 (so those are the specs?) :-) Whatever. They are smaller than the Universal I or the SP-20, which are much more stable. Like I said, gravity helps.

      I have one of the last SP-15s ever made. Think you actually verified that with me at one time. That roller hold down crap that Vandercook came up with was just more extra parts you'd have to buy (at Boeing prices) when they went bad.

      Gerald

      --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "Fritz Klinke" <nagraph@f...> wrote:
      > I hope you're not getting your printing done with 2 inch rollers as
      you state.
      > The SP-15 is supposed to have 2.5 inch diameter rollers. And part
      way through
      > the production run of these presses, Vandercook came up with a
      roller hold down
      > system because of roller chatter or bouncing of the rollers over the
      forms.

      > Fritz

    • Fritz Klinke
      Message 2 of 24 , Dec 9, 2004
        Not the exact specs but close enough for a pica pole measurement. I have
        wondered if they had made the oscillating ink drum out of heavier gauge pipe if
        the added weight would have solved the roller chatter problem. The SP series had
        a very simple inking system compared to the #4's etc that they replaced. But
        those were heavy duty inking setups, but also costly to make, hence the "Simple
        Precision" models, also maybe should have been CC for 'cheap competitive"
        presses--they were facing Challenge, Reprex, plus the imports at that time, so
        Vandercook had to make an inexpensive series of presses that also worked.

        Fritz

        > Well, maybe they are 2.5 (so those are the specs?) :-) Whatever. They are
        smaller than the Universal I or the SP-20, which are much more stable. Like I
        said, gravity helps.

        > I have one of the last SP-15s ever made. Think you actually verified that with
        me at one time. That roller hold down crap that Vandercook came up with was just
        more extra parts you'd have to buy (at Boeing prices) when they went bad.

        > Gerald
        >
        > --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "Fritz Klinke" <nagraph@f...> wrote:
        > > I hope you're not getting your printing done with 2 inch rollers as
        > you state.
        > > The SP-15 is supposed to have 2.5 inch diameter rollers. And part
        > way through
        > > the production run of these presses, Vandercook came up with a
        > roller hold down
        > > system because of roller chatter or bouncing of the rollers over the
        > forms.
        > >
        > > Fritz

      • meg lambert
        Message 3 of 24 , Dec 9, 2004
          I have been looking for a tabletop press for awhile
          and have finally found one for sale in my area. It
          needs new rollers and a new ink plate (or repair to
          the ink plate). It is a Kelsey, which I know is not
          highly regarded for quality. I am trying to figure
          out if this is a good purchase for me. I plan to use
          it to print my wedding invitations (which do not have
          to be finished until April, so I do have a bit of time
          to practice). I plan to use the press with
          photopolymer plates and will make about 100. Time and
          cost of materials is not a large concern because the
          main objective is a good excuse to learn something
          new, but I would like for the end result to look
          professional. I would really appreciate any
          feedback.
          Thank you.

          http://mobile.yahoo.com/maildemo
        • Ph. D.
          Message 4 of 24 , Dec 9, 2004
            meg lambert said:

            > I have been looking for a tabletop press for awhile
            > and have finally found one for sale in my area. It
            > needs new rollers and a new ink plate (or repair to
            > the ink plate). It is a Kelsey, which I know is not
            > highly regarded for quality. I am trying to figure
            > out if this is a good purchase for me. I plan to use
            > it to print my wedding invitations (which do not have
            > to be finished until April, so I do have a bit of time
            > to practice). I plan to use the press with
            > photopolymer plates and will make about 100. Time and
            > cost of materials is not a large concern because the
            > main objective is a good excuse to learn something
            > new, but I would like for the end result to look
            > professional. I would really appreciate any
            > feedback.
            > Thank you.

            What size Kelsey is it? How much does the seller
            want for it?
          • Jenni Won
            Message 5 of 24 , Dec 9, 2004
              Hello,

              I have a Vandercook SP-15 which is recently having trouble inking.

              While running a job using photopolymer plates, the rollers left behind both
              uninked and overly inked areas - the coverage was uneven and inconsistent. I
              was able to deduce that the form rollers were dragging across the plate
              rather than rolling across them. It seems that the big metal roller on the
              vibrator assembly was applying too much pressure to the form rollers,
              preventing them from properly rolling. Leaving just the vibrator assembly in
              the up position when rolling across the form seemed to temporarily solve the
              problem. Also note that the inking problems weren't consistent among
              different forms - the varying amounts of printing area yielded different
              results. I spent a good portion of an afternoon cleaning the roller blocks -
              the nyliners were in great shape - but this didn't solve the issue.
              Adjusting the rollers also didn't make any difference.

              On another note, can someone tell me where all the oil holes are on the
              press? I am only able to find 2 - on either side of the cylinder [by the
              crank].

              Hope this makes sense. Any help is greatly appreciated!

              Thanks!

              Jenni
              pigweed press
              somerville, ma

            • Fritz Klinke
              Message 6 of 24 , Dec 9, 2004
                This would not be a good buy regardless of press size as we do not have
                replacement ink plates in stock. If the existing plate is repairable somehow,
                then perhaps.

                Fritz Klinke, NA Graphics
                1314 Greene Street, P.O. Box 467
                Silverton, Colorado 81433 USA
                970-387-0212, fax 970-387-0127
                nagraph@...

                > > I have been looking for a tabletop press for awhile
                > > and have finally found one for sale in my area. It
                > > needs new rollers and a new ink plate (or repair to
                > > the ink plate). It is a Kelsey, which I know is not
                > > highly regarded for quality. I am trying to figure
                > > out if this is a good purchase for me. I plan to use
                > > it to print my wedding invitations (which do not have
                > > to be finished until April, so I do have a bit of time
                > > to practice). I plan to use the press with
                > > photopolymer plates and will make about 100. Time and
                > > cost of materials is not a large concern because the
                > > main objective is a good excuse to learn something
                > > new, but I would like for the end result to look
                > > professional. I would really appreciate any
                > > feedback.
                > > Thank you.
                >

                > What size Kelsey is it? How much does the seller
                > want for it?
                >

                > Yahoo! Groups Links

              • Jesse
                Message 7 of 24 , Dec 9, 2004
                  If it is a 5 x 8" Kelsey, I have an extra ink disk here for one. If it is missing this part, I wouldn't give a whole lot for it.
                  Sometimes you can run across Kelsey's on e-bay.
                  I you decide to get it and it is a 5 x 8, let me know.
                  Take care, hope you have a great year.
                  Jesse
                  Signs - Banners & More!
                  I have been looking for a tabletop press for awhile
                  and have finally found one for sale in my area. It
                  needs new rollers and a new ink plate (or repair to
                  the ink plate). It is a Kelsey, which I know is not
                  highly regarded for quality. I am trying to figure
                  out if this is a good purchase for me. I plan to use
                  it to print my wedding invitations (which do not have
                  to be finished until April, so I do have a bit of time
                  to practice). I plan to use the press with
                  photopolymer plates and will make about 100. Time and
                  cost of materials is not a large concern because the
                  main objective is a good excuse to learn something
                  new, but I would like for the end result to look
                  professional. I would really appreciate any
                  feedback.
                  Thank you.

                  http://mobile.yahoo.com/maildemo

                  Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                • meg lambert
                  Message 8 of 24 , Dec 9, 2004
                    thanks everyone.
                    I should also add that this same person has a 6x8
                    press that is in working condition. It is smaller
                    than I thought I wanted, but still workable. What
                    about the quality of the imprint for my purpose?
                    thank you!

                    The all-new My Yahoo! - Get yours free!
                    http://my.yahoo.com
                  • Ed Inman
                    Message 9 of 24 , Dec 9, 2004
                      A tabletop is fine for printing most type and ornaments onto small cards
                      but don't expect to be able to print heavy solids.
                      Good luck,
                      Ed

                    • Jenni Won
                      Message 10 of 24 , Dec 9, 2004
                        I tried using a Kelsey once to print invitations to a holiday party. The
                        tabletop press [5x8] was rather light and jiggled some while printing. The
                        quality wasn't great - I had a hard time adjusting the tympan and rollers to
                        get a nice clean even impression. I was a newbie at the time and had lots of
                        trouble. I was fortunate to have access to a Vandercook and ended up using
                        that instead.

                        Not sure that's helpful...
                        A tabletop is fine for printing most type and ornaments onto small cards
                        but don't expect to be able to print heavy solids.
                        Good luck,
                        Ed

                        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                      • meg lambert
                        Message 11 of 24 , Dec 9, 2004
                          sorry to be so clueless, but what do you mean by
                          "heavy solids"? A large shape of solid color?

                          i think what i will be printing is fine text and small
                          accent immages, but I had thought of using stripes in
                          varring widths (max width @ 3/8") which could be what
                          you are talking about when you say solids? Should
                          stipes of solid color be avioded with a table top
                          press?
                          thanks!

                          http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250
                        • Fritz Klinke
                          Message 12 of 24 , Dec 9, 2004
                            Jenni--Lots of problems here and it could be many things. Do you have a galley
                            bed or type high bed? If not sure, send me the serial # and I'll look it up. The
                            rollers may be bad--i.e., worn, swollen, etc. The rear roller is gear driven and
                            through the ink vibrator, the front roller is thus driven, so I'm puzzled by
                            "dragging" rollers. And if you're getting the plate inked with the vibrator in
                            the up position, then the whole inking system is defeated. And that means
                            something is really out of whack. More information is needed--type of base,
                            thickness of plate material, etc plus what type of press you have (galley or
                            type high), and diameter of ink rollers. When everything is sized properly, the
                            press should work as advertised with minor adjustments.

                            Fritz

                            > I have a Vandercook SP-15 which is recently having trouble inking.
                            >
                            > While running a job using photopolymer plates, the rollers left behind both
                            > uninked and overly inked areas - the coverage was uneven and inconsistent. I
                            > was able to deduce that the form rollers were dragging across the plate
                            > rather than rolling across them. It seems that the big metal roller on the
                            > vibrator assembly was applying too much pressure to the form rollers,
                            > preventing them from properly rolling. Leaving just the vibrator assembly in
                            > the up position when rolling across the form seemed to temporarily solve the
                            > problem. Also note that the inking problems weren't consistent among
                            > different forms - the varying amounts of printing area yielded different
                            > results. I spent a good portion of an afternoon cleaning the roller blocks -
                            > the nyliners were in great shape - but this didn't solve the issue.
                            > Adjusting the rollers also didn't make any difference.
                            >
                            > On another note, can someone tell me where all the oil holes are on the
                            > press? I am only able to find 2 - on either side of the cylinder [by the
                            > crank].
                            >
                            > Hope this makes sense. Any help is greatly appreciated!
                            >
                            > Thanks!
                            >
                            > Jenni
                            > pigweed press
                            > somerville, ma

                          • Harold Kyle
                            Message 13 of 24 , Dec 9, 2004
                              On 12/9/04 12:05 PM, "Jenni Won" <jenniwon@...> wrote:
                              > Adjusting the rollers also didn't make any difference.

                              How old are the rollers? Could they be saddled (flared at the edges) or hard
                              (instead of soft like a pink pearl eraser) so that they're not getting
                              enough "traction" with the steel rollers? Maybe it's time to invest in new
                              rubber.

                              Jenny's base was made to our spec of +/- 0.001 inch so that's not going to
                              be a problem, I don't think.

                              Good luck...and let us know more about your press when you get a chance.

                              Harold

                              Boxcar Press
                            • Jenni Won
                              Message 14 of 24 , Dec 9, 2004
                                Hello!

                                I have a galley bed with a bed plate inserted. I'm not sure about the serial
                                or the diameter of the rollers since I'm away from my studio at the moment,
                                but they're definately larger than 2" - I'd say around 2.5", maybe 3" if I
                                had to guess. Indeed, I'm using a Boxcar base - definately don't think
                                that's the issue.

                                The rollers seem to be in fine shape - soft like a pink eraser and not
                                flared. When the system is inking at start position, everything turns
                                properly. However, it is when I go to print that the rollers stop rolling
                                and start to drag, scraping ink across my plate. I've had better luck
                                placing single lines of text or long skinny graphics parallel, lengthwise
                                to the "dead line" since there's less length to scrape across.

                                Perhaps, the ink is too tacky? Maybe, since the overall form is so small
                                that it's not generating enough traction? Regardless, I've done a number of
                                similar projects on the Vandy and this has never been an issue. Then again,
                                I've never printed in the winter. The temperature was somewhat warm but not
                                overbearingly so in the studio.

                                Thanks!

                                Jenni

                                > I have a Vandercook SP-15 which is recently having trouble inking.
                                >
                                > While running a job using photopolymer plates, the rollers left behind
                                both
                                > uninked and overly inked areas - the coverage was uneven and
                                inconsistent. I
                                > was able to deduce that the form rollers were dragging across the plate
                                > rather than rolling across them. It seems that the big metal roller on
                                the
                                > vibrator assembly was applying too much pressure to the form rollers,
                                > preventing them from properly rolling. Leaving just the vibrator
                                assembly in
                                > the up position when rolling across the form seemed to temporarily solve
                                the
                                > problem. Also note that the inking problems weren't consistent among
                                > different forms - the varying amounts of printing area yielded different
                                > results. I spent a good portion of an afternoon cleaning the roller
                                blocks -
                                > the nyliners were in great shape - but this didn't solve the issue.
                                > Adjusting the rollers also didn't make any difference.
                                >
                                > On another note, can someone tell me where all the oil holes are on the
                                > press? I am only able to find 2 - on either side of the cylinder [by the
                                > crank].
                                >
                                > Hope this makes sense. Any help is greatly appreciated!
                                >
                                > Thanks!
                                >
                                > Jenni
                                > pigweed press
                                > somerville, ma

                                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                                Get unlimited calls to

                                U.S./Canada

                              • David S. Rose
                                Message 15 of 24 , Dec 9, 2004
                                  Meg,
                                  It's not so much the cost of materials as it is the cost of the press.
                                  If you're really looking to learn something new and perhaps do more than
                                  just this one invitation, and if you would otherwise spend $500-$1000 to
                                  have someone else print the invitations letterpress, you might want to
                                  consider a better press from the beginning. A Kelsey, while OK for doing a
                                  quick run of printing a small amount of image area, is not really the best
                                  press for an ongoing interest in letterpress. It will also not necessarily
                                  retain its value over the long haul. You didn't mention how much you're
                                  thinking of paying, but if it's more than a couple of hundred bucks or so
                                  (especially missing the ink plate and rollers) you probably should think
                                  twice.
                                  You can get a completely refurbished Chandler & Price Pilot, all ready
                                  to go, from Dave Churchman for about $800, and dealers like Don Black and
                                  John Barret also usually have Pilots in stock. Of course, if you're serious
                                  about taking letterpress up as a longer term avocation and have the space
                                  and money, you may even want to consider a Vandercook or similar proof press
                                  (under $2,000).
                                  Good luck with your invitations, and take a look at the Introduction to
                                  Letterpress Printing, at www.fiveroses.org/intro.htm.

                                  -David S. Rose
                                  Five Roses Press
                                  New York, NY

                                  Message 16 of 24 , Dec 10, 2004
                                    Jenni

                                    Since the two rollers don't touch each other or anything else except printing surfaces, I wouldn't think this was an inking problem. Are the rollers not turning the entire length of the press? or just when they hit a printing surface? Also, is it both rollers or just the second roller that is not turning? If the second, you need to make sure its driving gear is tightened to the form shaft. If both, no idea. I'd guess the cylinder adjustment is way out of whack, but this would not happened suddenly unless you were screwing with it and completely botched the adjustment. If the oscillating cylinder was out of sync
                                    with the rollers (you mentioned this in your first post), you would experience a much different problem than the one you have described.

                                    Is there anything you did with the rollers (or the roller adjustment blocks) prior to this incident?

                                    Gerald

                                    Service.

                                    Message 17 of 24 , Dec 10, 2004
                                      Hmmm. How did I miss this? Think I'm beginning to see what's going on
                                      here. Yes there are only the two oil holes, which provide fluid
                                      distribution to the cylinder bearing. But you literally need to apply
                                      oil to every moving part, especially the rails top and bottom. Wipe
                                      all the access oil off afterward. I'd also suggest packing those
                                      nyliners with grease.

                                      Gerald