Re: [PPLetterpress] Re: beginner, printing from photopolymer plates

  • Fritz Klinke
    Message 1 of 24 , Dec 8, 2004
      I hope you're not getting your printing done with 2 inch rollers as you state.
      The SP-15 is supposed to have 2.5 inch diameter rollers. And part way through
      the production run of these presses, Vandercook came up with a roller hold down
      system because of roller chatter or bouncing of the rollers over the forms.

      Fritz

      Message 2 of 24 , Dec 8, 2004
        Fritz

        Well, maybe they are 2.5 (so those are the specs?) :-) Whatever. They are smaller than the Universal I or the SP-20, which are much more stable. Like I said, gravity helps.

        I have one of the last SP-15s ever made. Think you actually verified that with me at one time. That roller hold down crap that Vandercook came up with was just more extra parts you'd have to buy (at Boeing prices) when they went bad.

        Gerald

        --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "Fritz Klinke" <nagraph@f...> wrote:
        > I hope you're not getting your printing done with 2 inch rollers as
        you state.
        > The SP-15 is supposed to have 2.5 inch diameter rollers. And part
        way through
        > the production run of these presses, Vandercook came up with a
        roller hold down
        > system because of roller chatter or bouncing of the rollers over the
        forms.

        > Fritz

      • Fritz Klinke
        Message 3 of 24 , Dec 9, 2004
          Not the exact specs but close enough for a pica pole measurement. I have
          wondered if they had made the oscillating ink drum out of heavier gauge pipe if
          the added weight would have solved the roller chatter problem. The SP series had
          a very simple inking system compared to the #4's etc that they replaced. But
          those were heavy duty inking setups, but also costly to make, hence the "Simple
          Precision" models, also maybe should have been CC for 'cheap competitive"
          presses--they were facing Challenge, Reprex, plus the imports at that time, so
          Vandercook had to make an inexpensive series of presses that also worked.

          Fritz

          > Well, maybe they are 2.5 (so those are the specs?) :-) Whatever. They are
          smaller than the Universal I or the SP-20, which are much more stable. Like I
          said, gravity helps.

          > I have one of the last SP-15s ever made. Think you actually verified that with
          me at one time. That roller hold down crap that Vandercook came up with was just
          more extra parts you'd have to buy (at Boeing prices) when they went bad.

          > Gerald
          >
          > --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "Fritz Klinke" <nagraph@f...> wrote:
          > > I hope you're not getting your printing done with 2 inch rollers as
          > you state.
          > > The SP-15 is supposed to have 2.5 inch diameter rollers. And part
          > way through
          > > the production run of these presses, Vandercook came up with a
          > roller hold down
          > > system because of roller chatter or bouncing of the rollers over the
          > forms.
          > >
          > > Fritz

        • meg lambert
          Message 4 of 24 , Dec 9, 2004
            I have been looking for a tabletop press for awhile
            and have finally found one for sale in my area. It
            needs new rollers and a new ink plate (or repair to
            the ink plate). It is a Kelsey, which I know is not
            highly regarded for quality. I am trying to figure
            out if this is a good purchase for me. I plan to use
            it to print my wedding invitations (which do not have
            to be finished until April, so I do have a bit of time
            to practice). I plan to use the press with
            photopolymer plates and will make about 100. Time and
            cost of materials is not a large concern because the
            main objective is a good excuse to learn something
            new, but I would like for the end result to look
            professional. I would really appreciate any
            feedback.
            Thank you.

            http://mobile.yahoo.com/maildemo
          • Ph. D.
            Message 5 of 24 , Dec 9, 2004
              meg lambert said:

              > I have been looking for a tabletop press for awhile
              > and have finally found one for sale in my area. It
              > needs new rollers and a new ink plate (or repair to
              > the ink plate). It is a Kelsey, which I know is not
              > highly regarded for quality. I am trying to figure
              > out if this is a good purchase for me. I plan to use
              > it to print my wedding invitations (which do not have
              > to be finished until April, so I do have a bit of time
              > to practice). I plan to use the press with
              > photopolymer plates and will make about 100. Time and
              > cost of materials is not a large concern because the
              > main objective is a good excuse to learn something
              > new, but I would like for the end result to look
              > professional. I would really appreciate any
              > feedback.
              > Thank you.

              What size Kelsey is it? How much does the seller
              want for it?
            • Jenni Won
              Message 6 of 24 , Dec 9, 2004
                Hello,

                I have a Vandercook SP-15 which is recently having trouble inking.

                While running a job using photopolymer plates, the rollers left behind both
                uninked and overly inked areas - the coverage was uneven and inconsistent. I
                was able to deduce that the form rollers were dragging across the plate
                rather than rolling across them. It seems that the big metal roller on the
                vibrator assembly was applying too much pressure to the form rollers,
                preventing them from properly rolling. Leaving just the vibrator assembly in
                the up position when rolling across the form seemed to temporarily solve the
                problem. Also note that the inking problems weren't consistent among
                different forms - the varying amounts of printing area yielded different
                results. I spent a good portion of an afternoon cleaning the roller blocks -
                the nyliners were in great shape - but this didn't solve the issue.
                Adjusting the rollers also didn't make any difference.

                On another note, can someone tell me where all the oil holes are on the
                press? I am only able to find 2 - on either side of the cylinder [by the
                crank].

                Hope this makes sense. Any help is greatly appreciated!

                Thanks!

                Jenni
                pigweed press
                somerville, ma

              • Fritz Klinke
                Message 7 of 24 , Dec 9, 2004
                  This would not be a good buy regardless of press size as we do not have
                  replacement ink plates in stock. If the existing plate is repairable somehow,
                  then perhaps.

                  Fritz Klinke, NA Graphics
                  1314 Greene Street, P.O. Box 467
                  Silverton, Colorado 81433 USA
                  970-387-0212, fax 970-387-0127
                  nagraph@...

                  > > I have been looking for a tabletop press for awhile
                  > > and have finally found one for sale in my area. It
                  > > needs new rollers and a new ink plate (or repair to
                  > > the ink plate). It is a Kelsey, which I know is not
                  > > highly regarded for quality. I am trying to figure
                  > > out if this is a good purchase for me. I plan to use
                  > > it to print my wedding invitations (which do not have
                  > > to be finished until April, so I do have a bit of time
                  > > to practice). I plan to use the press with
                  > > photopolymer plates and will make about 100. Time and
                  > > cost of materials is not a large concern because the
                  > > main objective is a good excuse to learn something
                  > > new, but I would like for the end result to look
                  > > professional. I would really appreciate any
                  > > feedback.
                  > > Thank you.
                  >

                  > What size Kelsey is it? How much does the seller
                  > want for it?
                  >

                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                • Jesse
                  Message 8 of 24 , Dec 9, 2004
                    If it is a 5 x 8" Kelsey, I have an extra ink disk here for one. If it is missing this part, I wouldn't give a whole lot for it.
                    Sometimes you can run across Kelsey's on e-bay.
                    I you decide to get it and it is a 5 x 8, let me know.
                    Take care, hope you have a great year.
                    Jesse
                    Signs - Banners & More!
                    I have been looking for a tabletop press for awhile
                    and have finally found one for sale in my area. It
                    needs new rollers and a new ink plate (or repair to
                    the ink plate). It is a Kelsey, which I know is not
                    highly regarded for quality. I am trying to figure
                    out if this is a good purchase for me. I plan to use
                    it to print my wedding invitations (which do not have
                    to be finished until April, so I do have a bit of time
                    to practice). I plan to use the press with
                    photopolymer plates and will make about 100. Time and
                    cost of materials is not a large concern because the
                    main objective is a good excuse to learn something
                    new, but I would like for the end result to look
                    professional. I would really appreciate any
                    feedback.
                    Thank you.

                    http://mobile.yahoo.com/maildemo

                    Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                  • meg lambert
                    Message 9 of 24 , Dec 9, 2004
                      thanks everyone.
                      I should also add that this same person has a 6x8
                      press that is in working condition. It is smaller
                      than I thought I wanted, but still workable. What
                      about the quality of the imprint for my purpose?
                      thank you!

                      The all-new My Yahoo! - Get yours free!
                      http://my.yahoo.com
                    • Ed Inman
                      Message 10 of 24 , Dec 9, 2004
                        A tabletop is fine for printing most type and ornaments onto small cards
                        but don't expect to be able to print heavy solids.
                        Good luck,
                        Ed

                      • Jenni Won
                        Message 11 of 24 , Dec 9, 2004
                          I tried using a Kelsey once to print invitations to a holiday party. The
                          tabletop press [5x8] was rather light and jiggled some while printing. The
                          quality wasn't great - I had a hard time adjusting the tympan and rollers to
                          get a nice clean even impression. I was a newbie at the time and had lots of
                          trouble. I was fortunate to have access to a Vandercook and ended up using
                          that instead.

                          Not sure that's helpful...
                          A tabletop is fine for printing most type and ornaments onto small cards
                          but don't expect to be able to print heavy solids.
                          Good luck,
                          Ed

                          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                        • meg lambert
                          Message 12 of 24 , Dec 9, 2004
                            sorry to be so clueless, but what do you mean by
                            "heavy solids"? A large shape of solid color?

                            i think what i will be printing is fine text and small
                            accent immages, but I had thought of using stripes in
                            varring widths (max width @ 3/8") which could be what
                            you are talking about when you say solids? Should
                            stipes of solid color be avioded with a table top
                            press?
                            thanks!

                            http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250
                          • Fritz Klinke
                            Message 13 of 24 , Dec 9, 2004
                              Jenni--Lots of problems here and it could be many things. Do you have a galley
                              bed or type high bed? If not sure, send me the serial # and I'll look it up. The
                              rollers may be bad--i.e., worn, swollen, etc. The rear roller is gear driven and
                              through the ink vibrator, the front roller is thus driven, so I'm puzzled by
                              "dragging" rollers. And if you're getting the plate inked with the vibrator in
                              the up position, then the whole inking system is defeated. And that means
                              something is really out of whack. More information is needed--type of base,
                              thickness of plate material, etc plus what type of press you have (galley or
                              type high), and diameter of ink rollers. When everything is sized properly, the
                              press should work as advertised with minor adjustments.

                              Fritz

                              > I have a Vandercook SP-15 which is recently having trouble inking.
                              >
                              > While running a job using photopolymer plates, the rollers left behind both
                              > uninked and overly inked areas - the coverage was uneven and inconsistent. I
                              > was able to deduce that the form rollers were dragging across the plate
                              > rather than rolling across them. It seems that the big metal roller on the
                              > vibrator assembly was applying too much pressure to the form rollers,
                              > preventing them from properly rolling. Leaving just the vibrator assembly in
                              > the up position when rolling across the form seemed to temporarily solve the
                              > problem. Also note that the inking problems weren't consistent among
                              > different forms - the varying amounts of printing area yielded different
                              > results. I spent a good portion of an afternoon cleaning the roller blocks -
                              > the nyliners were in great shape - but this didn't solve the issue.
                              > Adjusting the rollers also didn't make any difference.
                              >
                              > On another note, can someone tell me where all the oil holes are on the
                              > press? I am only able to find 2 - on either side of the cylinder [by the
                              > crank].
                              >
                              > Hope this makes sense. Any help is greatly appreciated!
                              >
                              > Thanks!
                              >
                              > Jenni
                              > pigweed press
                              > somerville, ma

                            • Harold Kyle
                              Message 14 of 24 , Dec 9, 2004
                                On 12/9/04 12:05 PM, "Jenni Won" <jenniwon@...> wrote:
                                > Adjusting the rollers also didn't make any difference.

                                How old are the rollers? Could they be saddled (flared at the edges) or hard
                                (instead of soft like a pink pearl eraser) so that they're not getting
                                enough "traction" with the steel rollers? Maybe it's time to invest in new
                                rubber.

                                Jenny's base was made to our spec of +/- 0.001 inch so that's not going to
                                be a problem, I don't think.

                                Good luck...and let us know more about your press when you get a chance.

                                Harold

                                Boxcar Press
                              • Jenni Won
                                Message 15 of 24 , Dec 9, 2004
                                  Hello!

                                  I have a galley bed with a bed plate inserted. I'm not sure about the serial
                                  or the diameter of the rollers since I'm away from my studio at the moment,
                                  but they're definately larger than 2" - I'd say around 2.5", maybe 3" if I
                                  had to guess. Indeed, I'm using a Boxcar base - definately don't think
                                  that's the issue.

                                  The rollers seem to be in fine shape - soft like a pink eraser and not
                                  flared. When the system is inking at start position, everything turns
                                  properly. However, it is when I go to print that the rollers stop rolling
                                  and start to drag, scraping ink across my plate. I've had better luck
                                  placing single lines of text or long skinny graphics parallel, lengthwise
                                  to the "dead line" since there's less length to scrape across.

                                  Perhaps, the ink is too tacky? Maybe, since the overall form is so small
                                  that it's not generating enough traction? Regardless, I've done a number of
                                  similar projects on the Vandy and this has never been an issue. Then again,
                                  I've never printed in the winter. The temperature was somewhat warm but not
                                  overbearingly so in the studio.

                                  Thanks!

                                  Jenni

                                  > I have a Vandercook SP-15 which is recently having trouble inking.
                                  >
                                  > While running a job using photopolymer plates, the rollers left behind
                                  both
                                  > uninked and overly inked areas - the coverage was uneven and
                                  inconsistent. I
                                  > was able to deduce that the form rollers were dragging across the plate
                                  > rather than rolling across them. It seems that the big metal roller on
                                  the
                                  > vibrator assembly was applying too much pressure to the form rollers,
                                  > preventing them from properly rolling. Leaving just the vibrator
                                  assembly in
                                  > the up position when rolling across the form seemed to temporarily solve
                                  the
                                  > problem. Also note that the inking problems weren't consistent among
                                  > different forms - the varying amounts of printing area yielded different
                                  > results. I spent a good portion of an afternoon cleaning the roller
                                  blocks -
                                  > the nyliners were in great shape - but this didn't solve the issue.
                                  > Adjusting the rollers also didn't make any difference.
                                  >
                                  > On another note, can someone tell me where all the oil holes are on the
                                  > press? I am only able to find 2 - on either side of the cylinder [by the
                                  > crank].
                                  >
                                  > Hope this makes sense. Any help is greatly appreciated!
                                  >
                                  > Thanks!
                                  >
                                  > Jenni
                                  > pigweed press
                                  > somerville, ma

                                  Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                                  Get unlimited calls to

                                  U.S./Canada

                                • David S. Rose
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Dec 9, 2004
                                    Meg,
                                    It's not so much the cost of materials as it is the cost of the press.
                                    If you're really looking to learn something new and perhaps do more than
                                    just this one invitation, and if you would otherwise spend $500-$1000 to
                                    have someone else print the invitations letterpress, you might want to
                                    consider a better press from the beginning. A Kelsey, while OK for doing a
                                    quick run of printing a small amount of image area, is not really the best
                                    press for an ongoing interest in letterpress. It will also not necessarily
                                    retain its value over the long haul. You didn't mention how much you're
                                    thinking of paying, but if it's more than a couple of hundred bucks or so
                                    (especially missing the ink plate and rollers) you probably should think
                                    twice.
                                    You can get a completely refurbished Chandler & Price Pilot, all ready
                                    to go, from Dave Churchman for about $800, and dealers like Don Black and
                                    John Barret also usually have Pilots in stock. Of course, if you're serious
                                    about taking letterpress up as a longer term avocation and have the space
                                    and money, you may even want to consider a Vandercook or similar proof press
                                    (under $2,000).
                                    Good luck with your invitations, and take a look at the Introduction to
                                    Letterpress Printing, at www.fiveroses.org/intro.htm.

                                    -David S. Rose
                                    Five Roses Press
                                    New York, NY

                                    Message 17 of 24 , Dec 10, 2004
                                      Jenni

                                      Since the two rollers don't touch each other or anything else except printing surfaces, I wouldn't think this was an inking problem. Are the rollers not turning the entire length of the press? or just when they hit a printing surface? Also, is it both rollers or just the second roller that is not turning? If the second, you need to make sure its driving gear is tightened to the form shaft. If both, no idea. I'd guess the cylinder adjustment is way out of whack, but this would not happened suddenly unless you were screwing with it and completely botched the adjustment. If the oscillating cylinder was out of sync
                                      with the rollers (you mentioned this in your first post), you would experience a much different problem than the one you have described.

                                      Is there anything you did with the rollers (or the roller adjustment blocks) prior to this incident?

                                      Gerald

                                      Service.

                                      Message 18 of 24 , Dec 10, 2004
                                        Hmmm. How did I miss this? Think I'm beginning to see what's going on
                                        here. Yes there are only the two oil holes, which provide fluid
                                        distribution to the cylinder bearing. But you literally need to apply
                                        oil to every moving part, especially the rails top and bottom. Wipe
                                        all the access oil off afterward. I'd also suggest packing those
                                        nyliners with grease.

                                        Gerald