Re: [PPLetterpress] beginner, printing from photopolymer plates

  • Regis Graden
    Message 1 of 24 , Dec 8, 2004
      Caryl,

      Time considerations always seem to be a problem. Not enough time to do it right the first time but always enough time to do it over again!

      A hard copy to the service bureau is always a must in my opinion because these programs can be "funny."

      Roller adjustments on a Vandy if made properly should remain constant at least during a small run. There could be a mechanical problem that Gerald Lang may be able to help with.

      Good luck,

      Regis

      hollowpress <carylpeters@...> wrote:
      Some thoughts on printing my first book from photopolymer plates:
      I bought the Boxcar standard base with the grid and had Boxcar make
      the plates for me. Printing is a breeze,as is registration and the
      adhesive really attaches well to the base so that there is no
      shifting. However, I've encountered a few other minor problems.

      1) I have many pages of justified text which means that there is
      irregular spacing on just about every line. On the last line of each
      page, the spacing changes from my original typesetting and somehow,
      the last word on each page is at least a space and up to an em space
      in from the edge on the lower right hand corner.
      I didn't send in hard copy with my file due to time considerations.
      Another friend has had the same problem. Does anyone know what
      causes this? Would sending in a disc and a printed copy eliminate
      the problem?

      2) I use a Vandercook 15-21 and I'm finding that printing from
      the plates demands a really sensitive roller setting, otherwise I
      get ink on the 'unprinted' parts of the plate and this can transfer
      as a slight smudge onto my paper. In a run of 170 copies, I may
      have to adjust my (rubber) rollers several times. It's not a huge
      problem, but I was wondering what is causing the rollers to lower.

      Caryl Peters
      Frog Hollow Press
      Victoria, BC

      Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

      Message 2 of 24 , Dec 8, 2004
        I'd have to second that. A lot of the service bureaus and processers
        are asking for "fix it yourself" files: no negs, unalterable PDFs.
        Push the button, any problem, it's the customer's problem. Double
        check your files very carefully. I still use a service bureau
        (EDIworks.com) that actually checks the files BEFORE they generate.
        Saved my butt on an occasion or two.

        In regard to Regis's comment on roller adjustments. The thicker the
        diameter the roller, the less problems you will encounter. Gravity
        helps. I am down to a little SP-15, which I dearly cherish, but it has
        those little two-inch rollers that just love to sing and dance. I
        don't mind her having her fun, but it does get a bit weary. I do have
        to kneel and pray to the press gods quite a bit at the back end of the
        press. Guess she kind of likes that.

        Gerald

        > Caryl,
        >
        > Time considerations always seem to be a problem. Not enough time to
        do it right the first time but always enough time to do it over again!

        > A hard copy to the service bureau is always a must in my opinion
        because these programs can be "funny."

        > Roller adjustments on a Vandy if made properly should remain
        constant at least during a small run. There could be a mechanical
        problem that Gerald Lang may be able to help with.

        > Good luck,
        >
        > Regis
        >

        > hollowpress <carylpeters@t...> wrote:
        > Some thoughts on printing my first book from photopolymer plates:
        > I bought the Boxcar standard base with the grid and had Boxcar make
        > the plates for me. Printing is a breeze,as is registration and the
        > adhesive really attaches well to the base so that there is no
        > shifting. However, I've encountered a few other minor problems.
        >
        > 1) I have many pages of justified text which means that there is
        > irregular spacing on just about every line. On the last line of each
        > page, the spacing changes from my original typesetting and somehow,
        > the last word on each page is at least a space and up to an em space
        > in from the edge on the lower right hand corner.
        > I didn't send in hard copy with my file due to time considerations.
        > Another friend has had the same problem. Does anyone know what
        > causes this? Would sending in a disc and a printed copy eliminate
        > the problem?
        >
        > 2) I use a Vandercook 15-21 and I'm finding that printing from
        > the plates demands a really sensitive roller setting, otherwise I
        > get ink on the 'unprinted' parts of the plate and this can transfer
        > as a slight smudge onto my paper. In a run of 170 copies, I may
        > have to adjust my (rubber) rollers several times. It's not a huge
        > problem, but I was wondering what is causing the rollers to lower.
        >
        > Caryl Peters
        > Frog Hollow Press
        > Victoria, BC
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

      • Fritz Klinke
        Message 3 of 24 , Dec 8, 2004
          I hope you're not getting your printing done with 2 inch rollers as you state.
          The SP-15 is supposed to have 2.5 inch diameter rollers. And part way through
          the production run of these presses, Vandercook came up with a roller hold down
          system because of roller chatter or bouncing of the rollers over the forms.

          Fritz

          Message 4 of 24 , Dec 8, 2004
            Fritz

            Well, maybe they are 2.5 (so those are the specs?) :-) Whatever. They are smaller than the Universal I or the SP-20, which are much more stable. Like I said, gravity helps.

            I have one of the last SP-15s ever made. Think you actually verified that with me at one time. That roller hold down crap that Vandercook came up with was just more extra parts you'd have to buy (at Boeing prices) when they went bad.

            Gerald

            --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "Fritz Klinke" <nagraph@f...> wrote:
            > I hope you're not getting your printing done with 2 inch rollers as
            you state.
            > The SP-15 is supposed to have 2.5 inch diameter rollers. And part
            way through
            > the production run of these presses, Vandercook came up with a
            roller hold down
            > system because of roller chatter or bouncing of the rollers over the
            forms.

            > Fritz

          • Fritz Klinke
            Message 5 of 24 , Dec 9, 2004
              Not the exact specs but close enough for a pica pole measurement. I have
              wondered if they had made the oscillating ink drum out of heavier gauge pipe if
              the added weight would have solved the roller chatter problem. The SP series had
              a very simple inking system compared to the #4's etc that they replaced. But
              those were heavy duty inking setups, but also costly to make, hence the "Simple
              Precision" models, also maybe should have been CC for 'cheap competitive"
              presses--they were facing Challenge, Reprex, plus the imports at that time, so
              Vandercook had to make an inexpensive series of presses that also worked.

              Fritz

              > Well, maybe they are 2.5 (so those are the specs?) :-) Whatever. They are
              smaller than the Universal I or the SP-20, which are much more stable. Like I
              said, gravity helps.

              > I have one of the last SP-15s ever made. Think you actually verified that with
              me at one time. That roller hold down crap that Vandercook came up with was just
              more extra parts you'd have to buy (at Boeing prices) when they went bad.

              > Gerald
              >
              > --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "Fritz Klinke" <nagraph@f...> wrote:
              > > I hope you're not getting your printing done with 2 inch rollers as
              > you state.
              > > The SP-15 is supposed to have 2.5 inch diameter rollers. And part
              > way through
              > > the production run of these presses, Vandercook came up with a
              > roller hold down
              > > system because of roller chatter or bouncing of the rollers over the
              > forms.
              > >
              > > Fritz

            • meg lambert
              Message 6 of 24 , Dec 9, 2004
                I have been looking for a tabletop press for awhile
                and have finally found one for sale in my area. It
                needs new rollers and a new ink plate (or repair to
                the ink plate). It is a Kelsey, which I know is not
                highly regarded for quality. I am trying to figure
                out if this is a good purchase for me. I plan to use
                it to print my wedding invitations (which do not have
                to be finished until April, so I do have a bit of time
                to practice). I plan to use the press with
                photopolymer plates and will make about 100. Time and
                cost of materials is not a large concern because the
                main objective is a good excuse to learn something
                new, but I would like for the end result to look
                professional. I would really appreciate any
                feedback.
                Thank you.

                http://mobile.yahoo.com/maildemo
              • Ph. D.
                Message 7 of 24 , Dec 9, 2004
                  meg lambert said:

                  > I have been looking for a tabletop press for awhile
                  > and have finally found one for sale in my area. It
                  > needs new rollers and a new ink plate (or repair to
                  > the ink plate). It is a Kelsey, which I know is not
                  > highly regarded for quality. I am trying to figure
                  > out if this is a good purchase for me. I plan to use
                  > it to print my wedding invitations (which do not have
                  > to be finished until April, so I do have a bit of time
                  > to practice). I plan to use the press with
                  > photopolymer plates and will make about 100. Time and
                  > cost of materials is not a large concern because the
                  > main objective is a good excuse to learn something
                  > new, but I would like for the end result to look
                  > professional. I would really appreciate any
                  > feedback.
                  > Thank you.

                  What size Kelsey is it? How much does the seller
                  want for it?
                • Jenni Won
                  Message 8 of 24 , Dec 9, 2004
                    Hello,

                    I have a Vandercook SP-15 which is recently having trouble inking.

                    While running a job using photopolymer plates, the rollers left behind both
                    uninked and overly inked areas - the coverage was uneven and inconsistent. I
                    was able to deduce that the form rollers were dragging across the plate
                    rather than rolling across them. It seems that the big metal roller on the
                    vibrator assembly was applying too much pressure to the form rollers,
                    preventing them from properly rolling. Leaving just the vibrator assembly in
                    the up position when rolling across the form seemed to temporarily solve the
                    problem. Also note that the inking problems weren't consistent among
                    different forms - the varying amounts of printing area yielded different
                    results. I spent a good portion of an afternoon cleaning the roller blocks -
                    the nyliners were in great shape - but this didn't solve the issue.
                    Adjusting the rollers also didn't make any difference.

                    On another note, can someone tell me where all the oil holes are on the
                    press? I am only able to find 2 - on either side of the cylinder [by the
                    crank].

                    Hope this makes sense. Any help is greatly appreciated!

                    Thanks!

                    Jenni
                    pigweed press
                    somerville, ma

                  • Fritz Klinke
                    Message 9 of 24 , Dec 9, 2004
                      This would not be a good buy regardless of press size as we do not have
                      replacement ink plates in stock. If the existing plate is repairable somehow,
                      then perhaps.

                      Fritz Klinke, NA Graphics
                      1314 Greene Street, P.O. Box 467
                      Silverton, Colorado 81433 USA
                      970-387-0212, fax 970-387-0127
                      nagraph@...

                      > > I have been looking for a tabletop press for awhile
                      > > and have finally found one for sale in my area. It
                      > > needs new rollers and a new ink plate (or repair to
                      > > the ink plate). It is a Kelsey, which I know is not
                      > > highly regarded for quality. I am trying to figure
                      > > out if this is a good purchase for me. I plan to use
                      > > it to print my wedding invitations (which do not have
                      > > to be finished until April, so I do have a bit of time
                      > > to practice). I plan to use the press with
                      > > photopolymer plates and will make about 100. Time and
                      > > cost of materials is not a large concern because the
                      > > main objective is a good excuse to learn something
                      > > new, but I would like for the end result to look
                      > > professional. I would really appreciate any
                      > > feedback.
                      > > Thank you.
                      >

                      > What size Kelsey is it? How much does the seller
                      > want for it?
                      >

                      > Yahoo! Groups Links

                    • Jesse
                      Message 10 of 24 , Dec 9, 2004
                        If it is a 5 x 8" Kelsey, I have an extra ink disk here for one. If it is missing this part, I wouldn't give a whole lot for it.
                        Sometimes you can run across Kelsey's on e-bay.
                        I you decide to get it and it is a 5 x 8, let me know.
                        Take care, hope you have a great year.
                        Jesse
                        Signs - Banners & More!
                        I have been looking for a tabletop press for awhile
                        and have finally found one for sale in my area. It
                        needs new rollers and a new ink plate (or repair to
                        the ink plate). It is a Kelsey, which I know is not
                        highly regarded for quality. I am trying to figure
                        out if this is a good purchase for me. I plan to use
                        it to print my wedding invitations (which do not have
                        to be finished until April, so I do have a bit of time
                        to practice). I plan to use the press with
                        photopolymer plates and will make about 100. Time and
                        cost of materials is not a large concern because the
                        main objective is a good excuse to learn something
                        new, but I would like for the end result to look
                        professional. I would really appreciate any
                        feedback.
                        Thank you.

                        http://mobile.yahoo.com/maildemo

                        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                      • meg lambert
                        Message 11 of 24 , Dec 9, 2004
                          thanks everyone.
                          I should also add that this same person has a 6x8
                          press that is in working condition. It is smaller
                          than I thought I wanted, but still workable. What
                          about the quality of the imprint for my purpose?
                          thank you!

                          The all-new My Yahoo! - Get yours free!
                          http://my.yahoo.com
                        • Ed Inman
                          Message 12 of 24 , Dec 9, 2004
                            A tabletop is fine for printing most type and ornaments onto small cards
                            but don't expect to be able to print heavy solids.
                            Good luck,
                            Ed

                          • Jenni Won
                            Message 13 of 24 , Dec 9, 2004
                              I tried using a Kelsey once to print invitations to a holiday party. The
                              tabletop press [5x8] was rather light and jiggled some while printing. The
                              quality wasn't great - I had a hard time adjusting the tympan and rollers to
                              get a nice clean even impression. I was a newbie at the time and had lots of
                              trouble. I was fortunate to have access to a Vandercook and ended up using
                              that instead.

                              Not sure that's helpful...
                              A tabletop is fine for printing most type and ornaments onto small cards
                              but don't expect to be able to print heavy solids.
                              Good luck,
                              Ed

                              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                            • meg lambert
                              Message 14 of 24 , Dec 9, 2004
                                sorry to be so clueless, but what do you mean by
                                "heavy solids"? A large shape of solid color?

                                i think what i will be printing is fine text and small
                                accent immages, but I had thought of using stripes in
                                varring widths (max width @ 3/8") which could be what
                                you are talking about when you say solids? Should
                                stipes of solid color be avioded with a table top
                                press?
                                thanks!

                                http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250
                              • Fritz Klinke
                                Message 15 of 24 , Dec 9, 2004
                                  Jenni--Lots of problems here and it could be many things. Do you have a galley
                                  bed or type high bed? If not sure, send me the serial # and I'll look it up. The
                                  rollers may be bad--i.e., worn, swollen, etc. The rear roller is gear driven and
                                  through the ink vibrator, the front roller is thus driven, so I'm puzzled by
                                  "dragging" rollers. And if you're getting the plate inked with the vibrator in
                                  the up position, then the whole inking system is defeated. And that means
                                  something is really out of whack. More information is needed--type of base,
                                  thickness of plate material, etc plus what type of press you have (galley or
                                  type high), and diameter of ink rollers. When everything is sized properly, the
                                  press should work as advertised with minor adjustments.

                                  Fritz

                                  > I have a Vandercook SP-15 which is recently having trouble inking.
                                  >
                                  > While running a job using photopolymer plates, the rollers left behind both
                                  > uninked and overly inked areas - the coverage was uneven and inconsistent. I
                                  > was able to deduce that the form rollers were dragging across the plate
                                  > rather than rolling across them. It seems that the big metal roller on the
                                  > vibrator assembly was applying too much pressure to the form rollers,
                                  > preventing them from properly rolling. Leaving just the vibrator assembly in
                                  > the up position when rolling across the form seemed to temporarily solve the
                                  > problem. Also note that the inking problems weren't consistent among
                                  > different forms - the varying amounts of printing area yielded different
                                  > results. I spent a good portion of an afternoon cleaning the roller blocks -
                                  > the nyliners were in great shape - but this didn't solve the issue.
                                  > Adjusting the rollers also didn't make any difference.
                                  >
                                  > On another note, can someone tell me where all the oil holes are on the
                                  > press? I am only able to find 2 - on either side of the cylinder [by the
                                  > crank].
                                  >
                                  > Hope this makes sense. Any help is greatly appreciated!
                                  >
                                  > Thanks!
                                  >
                                  > Jenni
                                  > pigweed press
                                  > somerville, ma

                                • Harold Kyle
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Dec 9, 2004
                                    On 12/9/04 12:05 PM, "Jenni Won" <jenniwon@...> wrote:
                                    > Adjusting the rollers also didn't make any difference.

                                    How old are the rollers? Could they be saddled (flared at the edges) or hard
                                    (instead of soft like a pink pearl eraser) so that they're not getting
                                    enough "traction" with the steel rollers? Maybe it's time to invest in new
                                    rubber.

                                    Jenny's base was made to our spec of +/- 0.001 inch so that's not going to
                                    be a problem, I don't think.

                                    Good luck...and let us know more about your press when you get a chance.

                                    Harold

                                    Boxcar Press
                                  • Jenni Won
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Dec 9, 2004
                                      Hello!

                                      I have a galley bed with a bed plate inserted. I'm not sure about the serial
                                      or the diameter of the rollers since I'm away from my studio at the moment,
                                      but they're definately larger than 2" - I'd say around 2.5", maybe 3" if I
                                      had to guess. Indeed, I'm using a Boxcar base - definately don't think
                                      that's the issue.

                                      The rollers seem to be in fine shape - soft like a pink eraser and not
                                      flared. When the system is inking at start position, everything turns
                                      properly. However, it is when I go to print that the rollers stop rolling
                                      and start to drag, scraping ink across my plate. I've had better luck
                                      placing single lines of text or long skinny graphics parallel, lengthwise
                                      to the "dead line" since there's less length to scrape across.

                                      Perhaps, the ink is too tacky? Maybe, since the overall form is so small
                                      that it's not generating enough traction? Regardless, I've done a number of
                                      similar projects on the Vandy and this has never been an issue. Then again,
                                      I've never printed in the winter. The temperature was somewhat warm but not
                                      overbearingly so in the studio.

                                      Thanks!

                                      Jenni

                                      > I have a Vandercook SP-15 which is recently having trouble inking.
                                      >
                                      > While running a job using photopolymer plates, the rollers left behind
                                      both
                                      > uninked and overly inked areas - the coverage was uneven and
                                      inconsistent. I
                                      > was able to deduce that the form rollers were dragging across the plate
                                      > rather than rolling across them. It seems that the big metal roller on
                                      the
                                      > vibrator assembly was applying too much pressure to the form rollers,
                                      > preventing them from properly rolling. Leaving just the vibrator
                                      assembly in
                                      > the up position when rolling across the form seemed to temporarily solve
                                      the
                                      > problem. Also note that the inking problems weren't consistent among
                                      > different forms - the varying amounts of printing area yielded different
                                      > results. I spent a good portion of an afternoon cleaning the roller
                                      blocks -
                                      > the nyliners were in great shape - but this didn't solve the issue.
                                      > Adjusting the rollers also didn't make any difference.
                                      >
                                      > On another note, can someone tell me where all the oil holes are on the
                                      > press? I am only able to find 2 - on either side of the cylinder [by the
                                      > crank].
                                      >
                                      > Hope this makes sense. Any help is greatly appreciated!
                                      >
                                      > Thanks!
                                      >
                                      > Jenni
                                      > pigweed press
                                      > somerville, ma

                                      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                                      Get unlimited calls to

                                      U.S./Canada

                                    • David S. Rose
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Dec 9, 2004
                                        Meg,
                                        It's not so much the cost of materials as it is the cost of the press.
                                        If you're really looking to learn something new and perhaps do more than
                                        just this one invitation, and if you would otherwise spend $500-$1000 to
                                        have someone else print the invitations letterpress, you might want to
                                        consider a better press from the beginning. A Kelsey, while OK for doing a
                                        quick run of printing a small amount of image area, is not really the best
                                        press for an ongoing interest in letterpress. It will also not necessarily
                                        retain its value over the long haul. You didn't mention how much you're
                                        thinking of paying, but if it's more than a couple of hundred bucks or so
                                        (especially missing the ink plate and rollers) you probably should think
                                        twice.
                                        You can get a completely refurbished Chandler & Price Pilot, all ready
                                        to go, from Dave Churchman for about $800, and dealers like Don Black and
                                        John Barret also usually have Pilots in stock. Of course, if you're serious
                                        about taking letterpress up as a longer term avocation and have the space
                                        and money, you may even want to consider a Vandercook or similar proof press
                                        (under $2,000).
                                        Good luck with your invitations, and take a look at the Introduction to
                                        Letterpress Printing, at www.fiveroses.org/intro.htm.

                                        -David S. Rose
                                        Five Roses Press
                                        New York, NY

                                        Message 19 of 24 , Dec 10, 2004
                                          Jenni

                                          Since the two rollers don't touch each other or anything else except printing surfaces, I wouldn't think this was an inking problem. Are the rollers not turning the entire length of the press? or just when they hit a printing surface? Also, is it both rollers or just the second roller that is not turning? If the second, you need to make sure its driving gear is tightened to the form shaft. If both, no idea. I'd guess the cylinder adjustment is way out of whack, but this would not happened suddenly unless you were screwing with it and completely botched the adjustment. If the oscillating cylinder was out of sync
                                          with the rollers (you mentioned this in your first post), you would experience a much different problem than the one you have described.

                                          Is there anything you did with the rollers (or the roller adjustment blocks) prior to this incident?

                                          Gerald

                                          Service.

                                          Message 20 of 24 , Dec 10, 2004
                                            Hmmm. How did I miss this? Think I'm beginning to see what's going on
                                            here. Yes there are only the two oil holes, which provide fluid
                                            distribution to the cylinder bearing. But you literally need to apply
                                            oil to every moving part, especially the rails top and bottom. Wipe
                                            all the access oil off afterward. I'd also suggest packing those
                                            nyliners with grease.

                                            Gerald