Re: [PPLetterpress] beginner, printing from photopolymer plates

  • Richard Bigus
    Message 1 of 24 , Dec 8, 2004
      Additionally, I would suggest making a PDF as a soft proof. Often the
      conversion from postscript to pdf will reveals errors that occur when a
      file is sent through a rip to am imagesetter. Never proof type with an
      inkjet; a good postscript laser printer is necessary to show such
      errors.

      Richard Bigus

      On Dec 8, 2004, at 1:53 PM, Gerald Lange wrote:

      > Caryl
      >
      > On the first question it sounds like a PostScript paragraph setting
      > problem. At the end of each line of a paragraph you need to hit the
      > return. On the last paragraph, what seems to have happened is that
      > further spacing of a larger point size has been captured in the
      > paragraph, causing the last line to move to the increased leading. You
      > need to capture all the material following the last punctuation and
      > delete it.
      >
      > Don't know what would cause the last word to pop over like that but I
      > suspect it is also something that could be resolved by hitting the
      > return. Lot of folks actually don't do this and do not realize there
      > may
      > be hidden data following their text (that will then "contribute" to
      > it).
      >
      > On the second question, since Vandercooks are not designed for edition
      > printing, neither is the engineering of the roller lockdown set up for
      > it. Meaning, your rollers are going to get out of whack constantly, and
      > thus need constant monitoring and adjustment.
      >
      > Gerald
      >
      > hollowpress wrote:
      >
      >> Some thoughts on printing my first book from photopolymer plates:
      >> I bought the Boxcar standard base with the grid and had Boxcar make
      >> the plates for me. Printing is a breeze,as is registration and the
      >> adhesive really attaches well to the base so that there is no
      >> shifting. However, I've encountered a few other minor problems.
      >>
      >> 1) I have many pages of justified text which means that there is
      >> irregular spacing on just about every line. On the last line of each
      >> page, the spacing changes from my original typesetting and somehow,
      >> the last word on each page is at least a space and up to an em space
      >> in from the edge on the lower right hand corner.
      >> I didn't send in hard copy with my file due to time considerations.
      >> Another friend has had the same problem. Does anyone know what
      >> causes this? Would sending in a disc and a printed copy eliminate
      >> the problem?
      >>
      >> 2) I use a Vandercook 15-21 and I'm finding that printing from
      >> the plates demands a really sensitive roller setting, otherwise I
      >> get ink on the 'unprinted' parts of the plate and this can transfer
      >> as a slight smudge onto my paper. In a run of 170 copies, I may
      >> have to adjust my (rubber) rollers several times. It's not a huge
      >> problem, but I was wondering what is causing the rollers to lower.
      >>
      >> Caryl Peters
      >> Frog Hollow Press
      >> Victoria, BC

      Richard Bigus
      Asso. Chair, Dept. of Art & Art History
      Univ. of Hawaii-Manoa
      email: <bigus@...>
      phone: 956-8251
    • Regis Graden
      Message 2 of 24 , Dec 8, 2004
        Caryl,

        Time considerations always seem to be a problem. Not enough time to do it right the first time but always enough time to do it over again!

        A hard copy to the service bureau is always a must in my opinion because these programs can be "funny."

        Roller adjustments on a Vandy if made properly should remain constant at least during a small run. There could be a mechanical problem that Gerald Lang may be able to help with.

        Good luck,

        Regis

        hollowpress <carylpeters@...> wrote:
[...]

        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

        Message 3 of 24 , Dec 8, 2004
          I'd have to second that. A lot of the service bureaus and processers
          are asking for "fix it yourself" files: no negs, unalterable PDFs.
          Push the button, any problem, it's the customer's problem. Double
          check your files very carefully. I still use a service bureau
          (EDIworks.com) that actually checks the files BEFORE they generate.
          Saved my butt on an occasion or two.

          In regard to Regis's comment on roller adjustments. The thicker the
          diameter the roller, the less problems you will encounter. Gravity
          helps. I am down to a little SP-15, which I dearly cherish, but it has
          those little two-inch rollers that just love to sing and dance. I
          don't mind her having her fun, but it does get a bit weary. I do have
          to kneel and pray to the press gods quite a bit at the back end of the
          press. Guess she kind of likes that.

          Gerald

          > Caryl,
          >
          > Time considerations always seem to be a problem. Not enough time to
          do it right the first time but always enough time to do it over again!

          > A hard copy to the service bureau is always a must in my opinion
          because these programs can be "funny."

          > Roller adjustments on a Vandy if made properly should remain
          constant at least during a small run. There could be a mechanical
          problem that Gerald Lang may be able to help with.

          > Good luck,
          >
          > Regis
          >

          > hollowpress <carylpeters@t...> wrote:
          > Some thoughts on printing my first book from photopolymer plates:
          > I bought the Boxcar standard base with the grid and had Boxcar make
          > the plates for me. Printing is a breeze,as is registration and the
          > adhesive really attaches well to the base so that there is no
          > shifting. However, I've encountered a few other minor problems.
          >
          > 1) I have many pages of justified text which means that there is
          > irregular spacing on just about every line. On the last line of each
          > page, the spacing changes from my original typesetting and somehow,
          > the last word on each page is at least a space and up to an em space
          > in from the edge on the lower right hand corner.
          > I didn't send in hard copy with my file due to time considerations.
          > Another friend has had the same problem. Does anyone know what
          > causes this? Would sending in a disc and a printed copy eliminate
          > the problem?
          >
          > 2) I use a Vandercook 15-21 and I'm finding that printing from
          > the plates demands a really sensitive roller setting, otherwise I
          > get ink on the 'unprinted' parts of the plate and this can transfer
          > as a slight smudge onto my paper. In a run of 170 copies, I may
          > have to adjust my (rubber) rollers several times. It's not a huge
          > problem, but I was wondering what is causing the rollers to lower.
          >
          > Caryl Peters
          > Frog Hollow Press
          > Victoria, BC
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

        • Fritz Klinke
          Message 4 of 24 , Dec 8, 2004
            I hope you're not getting your printing done with 2 inch rollers as you state.
            The SP-15 is supposed to have 2.5 inch diameter rollers. And part way through
            the production run of these presses, Vandercook came up with a roller hold down
            system because of roller chatter or bouncing of the rollers over the forms.

            Fritz

            Message 5 of 24 , Dec 8, 2004
              Fritz

              Well, maybe they are 2.5 (so those are the specs?) :-) Whatever. They are smaller than the Universal I or the SP-20, which are much more stable. Like I said, gravity helps.

              I have one of the last SP-15s ever made. Think you actually verified that with me at one time. That roller hold down crap that Vandercook came up with was just more extra parts you'd have to buy (at Boeing prices) when they went bad.

              Gerald

              --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "Fritz Klinke" <nagraph@f...> wrote:
              > I hope you're not getting your printing done with 2 inch rollers as
              you state.
              > The SP-15 is supposed to have 2.5 inch diameter rollers. And part
              way through
              > the production run of these presses, Vandercook came up with a
              roller hold down
              > system because of roller chatter or bouncing of the rollers over the
              forms.

              > Fritz

            • Fritz Klinke
              Message 6 of 24 , Dec 9, 2004
                Not the exact specs but close enough for a pica pole measurement. I have
                wondered if they had made the oscillating ink drum out of heavier gauge pipe if
                the added weight would have solved the roller chatter problem. The SP series had
                a very simple inking system compared to the #4's etc that they replaced. But
                those were heavy duty inking setups, but also costly to make, hence the "Simple
                Precision" models, also maybe should have been CC for 'cheap competitive"
                presses--they were facing Challenge, Reprex, plus the imports at that time, so
                Vandercook had to make an inexpensive series of presses that also worked.

                Fritz

                > Well, maybe they are 2.5 (so those are the specs?) :-) Whatever. They are
                smaller than the Universal I or the SP-20, which are much more stable. Like I
                said, gravity helps.

                > I have one of the last SP-15s ever made. Think you actually verified that with
                me at one time. That roller hold down crap that Vandercook came up with was just
                more extra parts you'd have to buy (at Boeing prices) when they went bad.

                > Gerald
                >
                > --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "Fritz Klinke" <nagraph@f...> wrote:
                > > I hope you're not getting your printing done with 2 inch rollers as
                > you state.
                > > The SP-15 is supposed to have 2.5 inch diameter rollers. And part
                > way through
                > > the production run of these presses, Vandercook came up with a
                > roller hold down
                > > system because of roller chatter or bouncing of the rollers over the
                > forms.
                > >
                > > Fritz

              • meg lambert
                Message 7 of 24 , Dec 9, 2004
                  I have been looking for a tabletop press for awhile
                  and have finally found one for sale in my area. It
                  needs new rollers and a new ink plate (or repair to
                  the ink plate). It is a Kelsey, which I know is not
                  highly regarded for quality. I am trying to figure
                  out if this is a good purchase for me. I plan to use
                  it to print my wedding invitations (which do not have
                  to be finished until April, so I do have a bit of time
                  to practice). I plan to use the press with
                  photopolymer plates and will make about 100. Time and
                  cost of materials is not a large concern because the
                  main objective is a good excuse to learn something
                  new, but I would like for the end result to look
                  professional. I would really appreciate any
                  feedback.
                  Thank you.

                  http://mobile.yahoo.com/maildemo
                • Ph. D.
                  Message 8 of 24 , Dec 9, 2004
                    meg lambert said:

                    > I have been looking for a tabletop press for awhile
                    > and have finally found one for sale in my area. It
                    > needs new rollers and a new ink plate (or repair to
                    > the ink plate). It is a Kelsey, which I know is not
                    > highly regarded for quality. I am trying to figure
                    > out if this is a good purchase for me. I plan to use
                    > it to print my wedding invitations (which do not have
                    > to be finished until April, so I do have a bit of time
                    > to practice). I plan to use the press with
                    > photopolymer plates and will make about 100. Time and
                    > cost of materials is not a large concern because the
                    > main objective is a good excuse to learn something
                    > new, but I would like for the end result to look
                    > professional. I would really appreciate any
                    > feedback.
                    > Thank you.

                    What size Kelsey is it? How much does the seller
                    want for it?
                  • Jenni Won
                    Message 9 of 24 , Dec 9, 2004
                      Hello,

                      I have a Vandercook SP-15 which is recently having trouble inking.

                      While running a job using photopolymer plates, the rollers left behind both
                      uninked and overly inked areas - the coverage was uneven and inconsistent. I
                      was able to deduce that the form rollers were dragging across the plate
                      rather than rolling across them. It seems that the big metal roller on the
                      vibrator assembly was applying too much pressure to the form rollers,
                      preventing them from properly rolling. Leaving just the vibrator assembly in
                      the up position when rolling across the form seemed to temporarily solve the
                      problem. Also note that the inking problems weren't consistent among
                      different forms - the varying amounts of printing area yielded different
                      results. I spent a good portion of an afternoon cleaning the roller blocks -
                      the nyliners were in great shape - but this didn't solve the issue.
                      Adjusting the rollers also didn't make any difference.

                      On another note, can someone tell me where all the oil holes are on the
                      press? I am only able to find 2 - on either side of the cylinder [by the
                      crank].

                      Hope this makes sense. Any help is greatly appreciated!

                      Thanks!

                      Jenni
                      pigweed press
                      somerville, ma

                    • Fritz Klinke
                      Message 10 of 24 , Dec 9, 2004
                        This would not be a good buy regardless of press size as we do not have
                        replacement ink plates in stock. If the existing plate is repairable somehow,
                        then perhaps.

                        Fritz Klinke, NA Graphics
                        1314 Greene Street, P.O. Box 467
                        Silverton, Colorado 81433 USA
                        970-387-0212, fax 970-387-0127
                        nagraph@...

                        > > I have been looking for a tabletop press for awhile
                        > > and have finally found one for sale in my area. It
                        > > needs new rollers and a new ink plate (or repair to
                        > > the ink plate). It is a Kelsey, which I know is not
                        > > highly regarded for quality. I am trying to figure
                        > > out if this is a good purchase for me. I plan to use
                        > > it to print my wedding invitations (which do not have
                        > > to be finished until April, so I do have a bit of time
                        > > to practice). I plan to use the press with
                        > > photopolymer plates and will make about 100. Time and
                        > > cost of materials is not a large concern because the
                        > > main objective is a good excuse to learn something
                        > > new, but I would like for the end result to look
                        > > professional. I would really appreciate any
                        > > feedback.
                        > > Thank you.
                        >

                        > What size Kelsey is it? How much does the seller
                        > want for it?
                        >

                        > Yahoo! Groups Links

                      • Jesse
                        Message 11 of 24 , Dec 9, 2004
                          If it is a 5 x 8" Kelsey, I have an extra ink disk here for one. If it is missing this part, I wouldn't give a whole lot for it.
                          Sometimes you can run across Kelsey's on e-bay.
                          I you decide to get it and it is a 5 x 8, let me know.
                          Take care, hope you have a great year.
                          Jesse
                          Signs - Banners & More!
                          I have been looking for a tabletop press for awhile
                          and have finally found one for sale in my area. It
                          needs new rollers and a new ink plate (or repair to
                          the ink plate). It is a Kelsey, which I know is not
                          highly regarded for quality. I am trying to figure
                          out if this is a good purchase for me. I plan to use
                          it to print my wedding invitations (which do not have
                          to be finished until April, so I do have a bit of time
                          to practice). I plan to use the press with
                          photopolymer plates and will make about 100. Time and
                          cost of materials is not a large concern because the
                          main objective is a good excuse to learn something
                          new, but I would like for the end result to look
                          professional. I would really appreciate any
                          feedback.
                          Thank you.

                          http://mobile.yahoo.com/maildemo

                          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                        • meg lambert
                          Message 12 of 24 , Dec 9, 2004
                            thanks everyone.
                            I should also add that this same person has a 6x8
                            press that is in working condition. It is smaller
                            than I thought I wanted, but still workable. What
                            about the quality of the imprint for my purpose?
                            thank you!

                            The all-new My Yahoo! - Get yours free!
                            http://my.yahoo.com
                          • Ed Inman
                            Message 13 of 24 , Dec 9, 2004
                              A tabletop is fine for printing most type and ornaments onto small cards
                              but don't expect to be able to print heavy solids.
                              Good luck,
                              Ed

                            • Jenni Won
                              Message 14 of 24 , Dec 9, 2004
                                I tried using a Kelsey once to print invitations to a holiday party. The
                                tabletop press [5x8] was rather light and jiggled some while printing. The
                                quality wasn't great - I had a hard time adjusting the tympan and rollers to
                                get a nice clean even impression. I was a newbie at the time and had lots of
                                trouble. I was fortunate to have access to a Vandercook and ended up using
                                that instead.

                                Not sure that's helpful...
                                A tabletop is fine for printing most type and ornaments onto small cards
                                but don't expect to be able to print heavy solids.
                                Good luck,
                                Ed

                                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                              • meg lambert
                                Message 15 of 24 , Dec 9, 2004
                                  sorry to be so clueless, but what do you mean by
                                  "heavy solids"? A large shape of solid color?

                                  i think what i will be printing is fine text and small
                                  accent immages, but I had thought of using stripes in
                                  varring widths (max width @ 3/8") which could be what
                                  you are talking about when you say solids? Should
                                  stipes of solid color be avioded with a table top
                                  press?
                                  thanks!

                                  http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250
                                • Fritz Klinke
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Dec 9, 2004
                                    Jenni--Lots of problems here and it could be many things. Do you have a galley
                                    bed or type high bed? If not sure, send me the serial # and I'll look it up. The
                                    rollers may be bad--i.e., worn, swollen, etc. The rear roller is gear driven and
                                    through the ink vibrator, the front roller is thus driven, so I'm puzzled by
                                    "dragging" rollers. And if you're getting the plate inked with the vibrator in
                                    the up position, then the whole inking system is defeated. And that means
                                    something is really out of whack. More information is needed--type of base,
                                    thickness of plate material, etc plus what type of press you have (galley or
                                    type high), and diameter of ink rollers. When everything is sized properly, the
                                    press should work as advertised with minor adjustments.

                                    Fritz

                                    > I have a Vandercook SP-15 which is recently having trouble inking.
                                    >
                                    > While running a job using photopolymer plates, the rollers left behind both
                                    > uninked and overly inked areas - the coverage was uneven and inconsistent. I
                                    > was able to deduce that the form rollers were dragging across the plate
                                    > rather than rolling across them. It seems that the big metal roller on the
                                    > vibrator assembly was applying too much pressure to the form rollers,
                                    > preventing them from properly rolling. Leaving just the vibrator assembly in
                                    > the up position when rolling across the form seemed to temporarily solve the
                                    > problem. Also note that the inking problems weren't consistent among
                                    > different forms - the varying amounts of printing area yielded different
                                    > results. I spent a good portion of an afternoon cleaning the roller blocks -
                                    > the nyliners were in great shape - but this didn't solve the issue.
                                    > Adjusting the rollers also didn't make any difference.
                                    >
                                    > On another note, can someone tell me where all the oil holes are on the
                                    > press? I am only able to find 2 - on either side of the cylinder [by the
                                    > crank].
                                    >
                                    > Hope this makes sense. Any help is greatly appreciated!
                                    >
                                    > Thanks!
                                    >
                                    > Jenni
                                    > pigweed press
                                    > somerville, ma

                                  • Harold Kyle
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Dec 9, 2004
                                      On 12/9/04 12:05 PM, "Jenni Won" <jenniwon@...> wrote:
                                      > Adjusting the rollers also didn't make any difference.

                                      How old are the rollers? Could they be saddled (flared at the edges) or hard
                                      (instead of soft like a pink pearl eraser) so that they're not getting
                                      enough "traction" with the steel rollers? Maybe it's time to invest in new
                                      rubber.

                                      Jenny's base was made to our spec of +/- 0.001 inch so that's not going to
                                      be a problem, I don't think.

                                      Good luck...and let us know more about your press when you get a chance.

                                      Harold

                                      Boxcar Press
                                    • Jenni Won
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Dec 9, 2004
                                        Hello!

                                        I have a galley bed with a bed plate inserted. I'm not sure about the serial
                                        or the diameter of the rollers since I'm away from my studio at the moment,
                                        but they're definately larger than 2" - I'd say around 2.5", maybe 3" if I
                                        had to guess. Indeed, I'm using a Boxcar base - definately don't think
                                        that's the issue.

                                        The rollers seem to be in fine shape - soft like a pink eraser and not
                                        flared. When the system is inking at start position, everything turns
                                        properly. However, it is when I go to print that the rollers stop rolling
                                        and start to drag, scraping ink across my plate. I've had better luck
                                        placing single lines of text or long skinny graphics parallel, lengthwise
                                        to the "dead line" since there's less length to scrape across.

                                        Perhaps, the ink is too tacky? Maybe, since the overall form is so small
                                        that it's not generating enough traction? Regardless, I've done a number of
                                        similar projects on the Vandy and this has never been an issue. Then again,
                                        I've never printed in the winter. The temperature was somewhat warm but not
                                        overbearingly so in the studio.

                                        Thanks!

                                        Jenni

                                        > I have a Vandercook SP-15 which is recently having trouble inking.
                                        >
                                        > While running a job using photopolymer plates, the rollers left behind
                                        both
                                        > uninked and overly inked areas - the coverage was uneven and
                                        inconsistent. I
                                        > was able to deduce that the form rollers were dragging across the plate
                                        > rather than rolling across them. It seems that the big metal roller on
                                        the
                                        > vibrator assembly was applying too much pressure to the form rollers,
                                        > preventing them from properly rolling. Leaving just the vibrator
                                        assembly in
                                        > the up position when rolling across the form seemed to temporarily solve
                                        the
                                        > problem. Also note that the inking problems weren't consistent among
                                        > different forms - the varying amounts of printing area yielded different
                                        > results. I spent a good portion of an afternoon cleaning the roller
                                        blocks -
                                        > the nyliners were in great shape - but this didn't solve the issue.
                                        > Adjusting the rollers also didn't make any difference.
                                        >
                                        > On another note, can someone tell me where all the oil holes are on the
                                        > press? I am only able to find 2 - on either side of the cylinder [by the
                                        > crank].
                                        >
                                        > Hope this makes sense. Any help is greatly appreciated!
                                        >
                                        > Thanks!
                                        >
                                        > Jenni
                                        > pigweed press
                                        > somerville, ma

                                        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                                        Get unlimited calls to

                                        U.S./Canada

                                      • David S. Rose
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Dec 9, 2004
                                          Meg,
                                          It's not so much the cost of materials as it is the cost of the press.
                                          If you're really looking to learn something new and perhaps do more than
                                          just this one invitation, and if you would otherwise spend $500-$1000 to
                                          have someone else print the invitations letterpress, you might want to
                                          consider a better press from the beginning. A Kelsey, while OK for doing a
                                          quick run of printing a small amount of image area, is not really the best
                                          press for an ongoing interest in letterpress. It will also not necessarily
                                          retain its value over the long haul. You didn't mention how much you're
                                          thinking of paying, but if it's more than a couple of hundred bucks or so
                                          (especially missing the ink plate and rollers) you probably should think
                                          twice.
                                          You can get a completely refurbished Chandler & Price Pilot, all ready
                                          to go, from Dave Churchman for about $800, and dealers like Don Black and
                                          John Barret also usually have Pilots in stock. Of course, if you're serious
                                          about taking letterpress up as a longer term avocation and have the space
                                          and money, you may even want to consider a Vandercook or similar proof press
                                          (under $2,000).
                                          Good luck with your invitations, and take a look at the Introduction to
                                          Letterpress Printing, at www.fiveroses.org/intro.htm.

                                          -David S. Rose
                                          Five Roses Press
                                          New York, NY

                                          Message 20 of 24 , Dec 10, 2004
                                            Jenni

                                            Since the two rollers don't touch each other or anything else except printing surfaces, I wouldn't think this was an inking problem. Are the rollers not turning the entire length of the press? or just when they hit a printing surface? Also, is it both rollers or just the second roller that is not turning? If the second, you need to make sure its driving gear is tightened to the form shaft. If both, no idea. I'd guess the cylinder adjustment is way out of whack, but this would not happened suddenly unless you were screwing with it and completely botched the adjustment. If the oscillating cylinder was out of sync
                                            with the rollers (you mentioned this in your first post), you would experience a much different problem than the one you have described.

                                            Is there anything you did with the rollers (or the roller adjustment blocks) prior to this incident?

                                            Gerald

                                            Service.

                                            Message 21 of 24 , Dec 10, 2004
                                              Hmmm. How did I miss this? Think I'm beginning to see what's going on
                                              here. Yes there are only the two oil holes, which provide fluid
                                              distribution to the cylinder bearing. But you literally need to apply
                                              oil to every moving part, especially the rails top and bottom. Wipe
                                              all the access oil off afterward. I'd also suggest packing those
                                              nyliners with grease.

                                              Gerald