Re: What's the best base to use for photopolymer plates???

  • Champe Smith
    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 6, 2004
      Responding to the question about bases, I don¹t think anyone has mentioned
      you can also have aluminum bases made for you. I believe this is a
      relatively less expensive option than a magnetic base. I called Peter Koch¹s
      office a few years ago and got advice. They steered me to TCI Aluminum, but
      many machine shops could probably supply you. You just have to have it
      ground to the right height for the plate material you¹re using.

      Some more information about TCI:
      Hugh O¹Donnell
      TCI Aluminum (in CA)
      hugh@...
      (800) 824-6197

      I ordered an aluminum plate .861" thick
      - cast alloy, precision ground
      - 60/61 alloy sheet, precision ground
      - deviation - flat within 2/1000

      At first, I was using spray mount for placement. At the Center for Book Arts
      in New York, they also use non-magnetized bases. They don¹t allow spray
      mount because of the noxious fumes involved ‹ they only use masking tape to
      adhere plate to the base, which seems to work fine. Haven¹t had a problem
      with plate creep, but I haven¹t done big edition runs (maximum 100-120).

      Regards,
      Champe Smith

      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 20, 2004
        Steve and others

        This is the reference I have on the Australian manufacturer that I
        mentioned previously.

        http://www.fsea.com/if/article.asp?ID=9

        I was in contact with TDI Magneticx at one time (maybe a couple of
        years ago now). The fellow sent some PDFs but I couldn't get pricing
        or further details out of him, and then finally dropped it. I have not
        seen any further information on it in the literature.

        I had contacted Bunting about the idea at one point, and they were
        quite interested, had me talk to a tech guy etc. They thought it easy
        enough to do, but I assume they probably didn't see a potential market
        as I have heard nothing further from them about it either.

        Also, PPL member Michael T. Metz has something similar that he
        developed and uses. We had a conversation on the list a while back
        about that.

        I've been intrigued with the idea, but not necessarily as an
        alternative to current magnetic flatbases.

        Gerald

        > 5) In addition, I was intrigued with the discussions
        > on the list about possibly using honeycomb bases or
        > Wesel bases for locking in photopolymer plates since
        > these are in common use for clamping down metal
        > plates. What's the current status of such use, and
        > would you advise pursuing this path as an alternative
        > to the bases manufactured specifically for
        > photopolymer plates?

      • Regis Graden
        Message 3 of 14 , Dec 20, 2004
          Bunting bases are the perfect product to use with metal backed polymer plates. Why try to improve a perfect product? But if we are trying to find a cheaper solution, it will no longer be perfect, it will be cheaper and not as perfect.

          Only my opinion,

          Regis

          Gerald Lange <bieler@...> wrote:
          Steve and others

          This is the reference I have on the Australian manufacturer that I
          mentioned previously.

          http://www.fsea.com/if/article.asp?ID=9

          I was in contact with TDI Magneticx at one time (maybe a couple of
          years ago now). The fellow sent some PDFs but I couldn't get pricing
          or further details out of him, and then finally dropped it. I have not
          seen any further information on it in the literature.

          I had contacted Bunting about the idea at one point, and they were
          quite interested, had me talk to a tech guy etc. They thought it easy
          enough to do, but I assume they probably didn't see a potential market
          as I have heard nothing further from them about it either.

          Also, PPL member Michael T. Metz has something similar that he
          developed and uses. We had a conversation on the list a while back
          about that.

          I've been intrigued with the idea, but not necessarily as an
          alternative to current magnetic flatbases.

          Gerald

          > 5) In addition, I was intrigued with the discussions
          > on the list about possibly using honeycomb bases or
          > Wesel bases for locking in photopolymer plates since
          > these are in common use for clamping down metal
          > plates. What's the current status of such use, and
          > would you advise pursuing this path as an alternative
          > to the bases manufactured specifically for
          > photopolymer plates?

          Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

          Message 4 of 14 , Dec 20, 2004
            Regis

            I think the overriding concern here would be if you already had a honeycomb base and would like to have the flexibility to print either metal photoengraved plates or photopolmer plates on it. Honeycombs and the older diagonal groove bases are quite precise and have the added benefit of adjustable and accurate registration capabilities thanks to the toggle hooks.

            I'd agree the Bunting is a pretty good product, it's been around for quite some time, and is used by many commercial concerns. I like my Bunting bases mainly because I don't have to think about them, or mess with them. I think of them as just a higher bed. Drop the plate on, register, and print. No further fuss or muss.

            I don't need the magnetic pads, but sure would like to give them a shot, just out of curiousity.

            Gerald

            Regis Graden wrote:

            >Bunting bases are the perfect product to use with metal backed polymer plates. Why try to improve a perfect product? But if we are trying to find a cheaper solution, it will no longer be perfect, it will be cheaper and not as perfect.
            >
            >Only my opinion,
            >
            >Regis
            >

            >Gerald Lange <bieler@...> wrote:
            >Steve and others
            >
            >This is the reference I have on the Australian manufacturer that I
            >mentioned previously.
            >
            >http://www.fsea.com/if/article.asp?ID=9
            >
            >I was in contact with TDI Magneticx at one time (maybe a couple of
            >years ago now). The fellow sent some PDFs but I couldn't get pricing
            >or further details out of him, and then finally dropped it. I have not
            >seen any further information on it in the literature.
            >
            >I had contacted Bunting about the idea at one point, and they were
            >quite interested, had me talk to a tech guy etc. They thought it easy
            >enough to do, but I assume they probably didn't see a potential market
            >as I have heard nothing further from them about it either.
            >
            >Also, PPL member Michael T. Metz has something similar that he
            >developed and uses. We had a conversation on the list a while back
            >about that.
            >
            >I've been intrigued with the idea, but not necessarily as an
            >alternative to current magnetic flatbases.
            >
            >Gerald

          • Regis Graden
            Message 5 of 14 , Dec 20, 2004
              Why not have both worlds? I have honeycomb bases with hooks and bunting along with Pat's bases. I'm covered for whatever comes along. I can use unmounted engravings or polymer. Though seldom use engravings or mags.

              Regis

              Message 6 of 14 , Dec 20, 2004
                Regis

                I'd say $$$, but I suspect the pads would be quite expensive. I've also checked the pricing on new low profile Sterling honeycombs and with hooks and all and we are getting quite near Bunting pricing. Or maybe I should say industry pricing. Not that I have a problem with that, someone has to pay for the engineering and manufacturing - which is why there are no new letterpress presses out there). Just to remind myself (eBay and Letpress can confuse one as to the value of letterpress things), I occasionally look at the reply to a letter to Vandercook asking for the pricing on a new SP-15. In 1975. Lordy, I could have purchased a new car for that. Unfortunately, no money for the press or the new car.

                I do find it more convenient to use copper photo engravings mounted on patent bases for four-color work. I just don't have enough specific size magnetic flatbases to make that quite work for photopolymer.

                Gerald

                Regis Graden wrote:

                >Why not have both worlds? I have honeycomb bases with hooks and bunting along with Pat's bases. I'm covered for whatever comes along. I can use unmounted engravings or polymer. Though seldom use engravings or mags.
                >
                >Regis
                >

                >Gerald Lange <bieler@...> wrote:
                >Regis
                >
                >I think the overriding concern here would be if you already had a honeycomb base and would like to have the flexibility to print either metal photoengraved plates or photopolmer plates on it. Honeycombs and the older diagonal groove bases are quite precise and have the added benefit of adjustable and accurate registration capabilities thanks to the toggle hooks.
                >
                >I'd agree the Bunting is a pretty good product, it's been around for quite some time, and is used by many commercial concerns. I like my Bunting bases mainly because I don't have to think about them, or mess with them. I think of them as just a higher bed. Drop the plate on, register, and print. No further fuss or muss.
                >
                >I don't need the magnetic pads, but sure would like to give them a shot, just out of curiousity.
                >
                >Gerald

              • Regis Graden
                Message 7 of 14 , Dec 21, 2004
                  Gerald,
                  You are correct you know. Photo engravings mounted on patent base has worked quite well for 70 years or so.

                  Happy Holidays,

                  Regis