Re: [PPLetterpress] Type case blueprint?

  • mike.jacobs
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 1, 2004
      Katie,
      I built all my frames from scratch. It is not difficult.
      Email me offlist with how much room you have and I will send you some
      instructions.
      Mike at the Cockleshell Press, England
    • David Goodrich
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 1, 2004
        I have made racks for large numbers of cases and they are easy to make. I
        never drew up formal blueprints and each rack should fit into the space
        allotted to it, particularly the working surface you put on the top (plywood
        or planks).
        My basic design is to construct two rectangles of 5/4 x 4 stock with open
        mortise and tenon joints (easy to make) 18" by 43". (Don't ask me why, for
        some reason that matches the height of something I bought years ago. Chose
        a height that works for you.) Of course you can simply screw 18" strips of
        wood to the 43" uprights as long as the 18" pieces are on the outside of the
        frame, but this doesn't work for a double frame. You want a smooth surface
        for the entire height on the inside to accommodate the drawers. (I know they
        are CASES but from a carpentry point of view they have to work as drawers.)
        You could also use pieces of plywood 18" x 43" to avoid the joinery, but you
        can't really screw into the edges of plywood which you will want to do for
        the stretchers and top. The frame needs to be strong because 40 cases of
        lead type are very heavy.
        I then get lengths of 1/2" or better, 3/4", aluminum L shaped strips
        (available in hardware stores) and cut them into 16" or 18" lengths
        (depending on how the length of the strips you get divides out). I drill
        two holes in each piece, flair the holes with a countersink bit, and screw
        these onto the frames at 1 1/8" intervals. These serve as slides for the
        drawers. I put a thin strip of wood on top of the slides on each side about
        17" back from the front so that all the cases will sit flush in front.
        Then I attach stretchers of scrap wood (say 1 x 4) on the rear and bottom to
        hold the side pieces the correct distance apart (about 32.5" for California
        job cases). The top also serves to keep the frames properly spaced. A
        diagonal strip of wood on the back adds rigidity. I have used a piece of 1"
        flat steel bar across the bottom in front to allow for one more case, but if
        you are not overflowing, a piece of wood will do.
        Using the aluminum L strips allows the cases to be very tightly spaced and
        thus maximizes the number of cases a rack can hold. If you are not
        concerned about this, you can simply use small strips of wood.
        Note that if your cases have lips in front you will have to use a wider
        spacing.
        You should be able to build a rack in less than a day.
        I hope this helps.
        David.