Illustrator CS to PDF problems

  • letpresslist@bluebarnhouse.org
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 30, 2004
      Hi folks-

      I have to send my files off for negatives as PDF's now that I am using
      Illustrator CS (my service bureau is on Illustrator 10--and I know they
      can probably read the CS file with Illustrator 10 but the folks at the
      bureau are rather testy (long story) and I'd rather not go that
      direction).

      When they receive my PDF everything that's a vector graphic will print
      but all of my linked images (scanned line art) do not show up on the
      negative.

      Is there a way to prevent this from happening? Are there settings I
      should be aware of?

      Thanks to all,

      Brandon Mise
      Blue Barnhouse

      www.bluebarnhouse.org
    • arizonaprinter@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 30, 2004
        Illustrator 10 can not open or process CS files without major problems. We
        have acrobat 7 (we are a commercial printer with a service bureau for
        smaller shops.) Acrobat 6 does not work wel with opening 7 files either. We
        have set up dedicated machines after realizing it for CS products. They
        tend to corrupt non-CS files.

        From: letpresslist@...
        Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 14:21:20 -0500
        To: PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
        Subject: [PPLetterpress] Illustrator CS to PDF problems

        Hi folks-

        I have to send my files off for negatives as PDF's now that I am using
        Illustrator CS (my service bureau is on Illustrator 10--and I know they
        can probably read the CS file with Illustrator 10 but the folks at the
        bureau are rather testy (long story) and I'd rather not go that
        direction).

        When they receive my PDF everything that's a vector graphic will print
        but all of my linked images (scanned line art) do not show up on the
        negative.

        Is there a way to prevent this from happening? Are there settings I
        should be aware of?

        Thanks to all,

        Brandon Mise
        Blue Barnhouse

        www.bluebarnhouse.org

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ADVERTISEMENT

        Yahoo! Groups Links
        To visit your group on the web, go to:

        <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

      • Tad DuBois
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 30, 2004
          Why not just save/export as legacy(.ai)?
          That work-around seemed to do for us here, until the service bureau realized
          CS was no longer avoidable.
          We included pdfs for them to do checks with their printouts, as in, "this is
          what we think it should look like, what'd you get?"

          Tad DuBois

          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 30, 2004
            On 11/30/04 2:21 PM, "letpresslist@..."
            <letpresslist@...> wrote:
            > Is there a way to prevent this from happening? Are there settings I
            > should be aware of?

            Have you embedded your images? Go to the links toolbar and select each
            linked image, click the arrow in the top of the toolbar, and scroll down to
            Embed. This is recommended for any linked image in any format of an
            Illustrator file. I agree with arizonaprinter, there were substantial
            changes between 10 and CS--your service bureau should be more up to date!
            Text, especially, behaves erratically between the two formats. Outline it to
            be safe.

            Hope this helps,
            Harold

            Boxcar Press
          • letpresslist@bluebarnhouse.org
            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 30, 2004
              The images are embedded-- and alas, the service bureau I use is all
              there is for 120 miles--they're not updated because they really don't
              care...

              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 30, 2004
                Are your images >Embedded< in the Illust Document?
                Check the Links Palette with the image selected, click the flyout triangle (top right of the palette)
                If they're not embedded, choose Embed Image.

                If not, they'll need to be in the same folder as the PDF, or the paths won't resolve on a different host.

                Hope this helps!
                peter

                At 2:21 PM -0500 2004-11-30, letpresslist@... wrote:
                >Hi folks-
                >
                >I have to send my files off for negatives as PDF's now that I am using
                >Illustrator CS (my service bureau is on Illustrator 10--and I know they
                >can probably read the CS file with Illustrator 10 but the folks at the
                >bureau are rather testy (long story) and I'd rather not go that
                >direction).
                >
                >When they receive my PDF everything that's a vector graphic will print
                >but all of my linked images (scanned line art) do not show up on the
                >negative.
                >
                >Is there a way to prevent this from happening? Are there settings I
                >should be aware of?
                >

                >Thanks to all,
                >
                >Brandon Mise
                >Blue Barnhouse
                >
                >www.bluebarnhouse.org

                http://www.semiotx.com Web Strategy Consulting
              • Sonja
                Message 7 of 11 , Nov 30, 2004
                  Hmmm... that is a strange occurence. I'm assuming that when viewing the pdf on-screen, that your linked images DO show up... so it makes no sense as to why it won't show up in the print. I do know, that Illustrator CS makes pdf's that are MUCH smaller (compared to the same pdf made in Illustrator 10). The same pdf file that's over 30 megs from Illustrator 10, is about 1 meg from Illustrator CS... and I'm not sure how that is accomplished.

                  Have you tried sending your files as Illustrator 10 (or earlier), and then making sure to include the linked files? You can export the file as an "Illustrator Legacy" file, which will let you choose which version of Illustrator you would like it to be compatible with, and as long as you've just got simple line art and placed images, there shouldn't be any problems. Just out of curiosity... what are the file types that you are placing into Illustrator? (.psd? .tif? .jpg? .gif?) And what is the colour mode? (greyscale? cmyk? rgb?).

                  Sonja

                  Message 8 of 11 , Nov 30, 2004
                    I import illustrator to pagemaker then pdf it there.
                    --- Peter Fraterdeus <peterf@...> wrote:

                    > Are your images >Embedded< in the Illust Document?
                    > Check the Links Palette with the image selected,
                    > click the flyout triangle (top right of the palette)
                    > If they're not embedded, choose Embed Image.
                    >
                    > If not, they'll need to be in the same folder as the
                    > PDF, or the paths won't resolve on a different host.
                    >
                    > Hope this helps!
                    > peter
                    >

                    > At 2:21 PM -0500 2004-11-30,
                    > letpresslist@... wrote:
                    > >Hi folks-
                    > >
                    > >I have to send my files off for negatives as PDF's
                    > now that I am using
                    > >Illustrator CS (my service bureau is on Illustrator
                    > 10--and I know they
                    > >can probably read the CS file with Illustrator 10
                    > but the folks at the
                    > >bureau are rather testy (long story) and I'd rather
                    > not go that
                    > >direction).
                    > >
                    > >When they receive my PDF everything that's a vector
                    > graphic will print
                    > >but all of my linked images (scanned line art) do
                    > not show up on the
                    > >negative.
                    > >
                    > >Is there a way to prevent this from happening? Are
                    > there settings I
                    > >should be aware of?
                    > >

                    > >Thanks to all,
                    > >
                    > >Brandon Mise
                    > >Blue Barnhouse
                    > >
                    > >www.bluebarnhouse.org
                    > >

                    > --
                    > AzByCx DwEvFu GtHsIr JqKpLo MnNmOl PkQjRi ShTgUf
                    > VeWdXc YbZa&@
                    >
                    > Peter Fraterdeus http://www.fraterdeus.com
                    > http://www.galenaphotos.com
                    >
                    > http://www.semiotx.com Web Strategy Consulting
                    > "Words that work."(tm) Communication Design and
                    > Typography

                    http://my.yahoo.com
                  • Katie Harper
                    Message 9 of 11 , Nov 30, 2004
                      Non polymer question:
                      For those (like me) who persist in keeping metal type about the place...

                      I have a few California cases that don¹t have a cabinet. I have seen
                      homemade stands that can hold them, and am wondering if anyone on this list
                      has built one of those, and if so, if you have plans or guide to building
                      same?

                      Thanks.

                      Katie Harper
                      Ars Brevis Press
                      Beverly, MA

                    • mike.jacobs
                      Message 10 of 11 , Dec 1, 2004
                        Katie,
                        I built all my frames from scratch. It is not difficult.
                        Email me offlist with how much room you have and I will send you some
                        instructions.
                        Mike at the Cockleshell Press, England
                      • David Goodrich
                        Message 11 of 11 , Dec 1, 2004
                          I have made racks for large numbers of cases and they are easy to make. I
                          never drew up formal blueprints and each rack should fit into the space
                          allotted to it, particularly the working surface you put on the top (plywood
                          or planks).
                          My basic design is to construct two rectangles of 5/4 x 4 stock with open
                          mortise and tenon joints (easy to make) 18" by 43". (Don't ask me why, for
                          some reason that matches the height of something I bought years ago. Chose
                          a height that works for you.) Of course you can simply screw 18" strips of
                          wood to the 43" uprights as long as the 18" pieces are on the outside of the
                          frame, but this doesn't work for a double frame. You want a smooth surface
                          for the entire height on the inside to accommodate the drawers. (I know they
                          are CASES but from a carpentry point of view they have to work as drawers.)
                          You could also use pieces of plywood 18" x 43" to avoid the joinery, but you
                          can't really screw into the edges of plywood which you will want to do for
                          the stretchers and top. The frame needs to be strong because 40 cases of
                          lead type are very heavy.
                          I then get lengths of 1/2" or better, 3/4", aluminum L shaped strips
                          (available in hardware stores) and cut them into 16" or 18" lengths
                          (depending on how the length of the strips you get divides out). I drill
                          two holes in each piece, flair the holes with a countersink bit, and screw
                          these onto the frames at 1 1/8" intervals. These serve as slides for the
                          drawers. I put a thin strip of wood on top of the slides on each side about
                          17" back from the front so that all the cases will sit flush in front.
                          Then I attach stretchers of scrap wood (say 1 x 4) on the rear and bottom to
                          hold the side pieces the correct distance apart (about 32.5" for California
                          job cases). The top also serves to keep the frames properly spaced. A
                          diagonal strip of wood on the back adds rigidity. I have used a piece of 1"
                          flat steel bar across the bottom in front to allow for one more case, but if
                          you are not overflowing, a piece of wood will do.
                          Using the aluminum L strips allows the cases to be very tightly spaced and
                          thus maximizes the number of cases a rack can hold. If you are not
                          concerned about this, you can simply use small strips of wood.
                          Note that if your cases have lips in front you will have to use a wider
                          spacing.
                          You should be able to build a rack in less than a day.
                          I hope this helps.
                          David.