Douglas Cleverdon materials

  • Paul Kiler
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 23, 2004
      Hello all, This is my first post, after joining a week ago...
      Hi! :-)

      But today, I finally got a package from England of a book, and some
      prospectus'. I can use the book, and half of the prospectus' and
      such, but wondered if you all might have some interest?

      1. A prospectus for Henry Reed's 'Lessons of The War", Clover Hill
      editions, 1970, (four pages - roughly 11x17 folded up) Letterpress,
      and title in med grey color.

      2. Prospectus for a publishing of 44 unpublished wood engravings
      designed by Edward Burne-Jones, of which 38 were engraved by William
      Morris. to be published mid 1974, Clover Hill Editions, printed at
      Rampant Lions Press. Including a reduced specimen page. four
      pages. one small tear rear bottom ALSO included is a handset
      Letterpress Announcement of the book, set in the Troy type of the
      Kelmscott press, with the type borrowed from the Oxford University
      press for the announcement's printing on nice paper.

      3. "Fifty Years" Douglas Cleverdon, offprinted from The Private
      Library, 1978 Signed by Cleverdon, as a gift to Ian Bennett. Pages
      are numbered from 51-83. With an autobiographical account of
      Cleverdon's publishing life, including Publications list from 1927-
      1977. some pictures, reprints of title pages, images of engravings
      and woodcuts madde for books, title pieces, from Eric Gill, David
      Jones, William Morris, Anthony Gross, and Reynolds Stone.

      If anyone has any interest, write back privately with an offer,
      nothing reasonable will be refused, better for someone else to enjoy
      them, than the circular file.

      I will eventually get to ask you all about the books that I am
      working on, which I need your help with, locating Woodcut Artists
      working on Biblical subjects. Thanks for your time,
      Paul Kiler