Re: ink and cold press

  • mikefrommontanan
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 16, 2004
      I like the idea of a heat lamp of some sort to warm the ink disk
      (and probably keep ink disk and operator warm as well).
      My current strategy on my platen presses is to have candles
      burning on the press bed casting, directly behind the chase lock. It
      takes a fair sized pillar to put out sufficient heat, especially for
      my split disk C&P 10x15, but on the Pearl #3, it works great.
      At least I hope to have electricity into the garage at the end
      of the week...not much fun running lights and press off the same
      extension cord (fluorescents go out while the press is winding up!).

      Michael Seitz
      Missoula MT
    • cutvelvet@earthlink.net
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 17, 2004
        > My current strategy on my platen presses is to have candles
        >burning on the press bed casting, directly behind the chase lock. It
        >takes a fair sized pillar to put out sufficient heat, especially for
        >my split disk C&P 10x15, but on the Pearl #3, it works great.

        Hi Michael,
        I've heard of this technique before. How do you attach the candle(s)
        to the press? Do you just drip some wax and stick the candle into it?
        I've been wanting to try this, but was reluctant to drip wax on my
        precious C&P. (Not that it's pristine!) But I suppose the wax would
        just peel off later.

        Thanks--
        Lisa Rappoport
        Littoral Press
        Temperate-but-occasionally-chilly Oakland, CA
      • mikefrommontanan
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 22, 2004
          On the 10 x 15, there is more than sufficent room on the bed
          casting to set a 2 or 3 inch pillar candle (probably not more than 6
          inches tall. On the Pearl I use votives, but block them up with
          furniture so the heat reaches the disk. The candle flame should be
          closer then one inch from the disk. If your press is cold, and has
          any layer of oil or dust on it, spilled ink picks or peels right off.
          Also, if you are doing this, put out the candle if the inked
          press is going to sit unattended, or the candle will cause the ink to
          set or scorch onto the ink disk.
          CAUTION: If you are having open flames in the shop, be careful
          about them, do not leave candles unattended and please put them out
          BEFORE washing up (kaboom?).

          Happy Printing

          Michael Seitz
          Quality Letterpress Printing