Re: [PPLetterpress] Re: Ruling Machine

  • Scott Williams
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 11, 2004
      If I'm not mistaken, I think these photos are of Jim Horton's ruling
      machine. The believe the one in the photo came from David Sanders and the
      Sanders Engraving Co. in Chicago, but Jim owns several.

      These machines were used to cut very fine lines (tints) in wood blocks. It
      could cut parallel lines, concentric circles and wavy lines in a manner that
      could not be duplicated by hand. Ruling machines were used primarily to
      create line engravings of equipment, retail products etc. for newspaper ads
      and catalogs.

      These ruling machines are part of Jim's collection and probably not for
      sale. However, you might want to contact him at jimhorton@... if
      you would like to discuss them further. He's the authority. He's used them
      in creating some of his wood engravings.

      ---> Scott