Re: Ruling Machine

    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 10, 2004
      Keith

      I think these photos were put up about a year ago. I searched the
      message archive and there was some activity relating to pen ruling
      machines from 12/1–12/12/03. I don't know off hand which member put it
      up as there is no name attached to the folder or the photo
      descriptions. As I recall though, it was not put up for sale but
      simply to show the machine.

      Gerald

      > I recently got a problem with yahoo fixed so that I can actually get
      > onto the PPLetterpress website. I was checking out the photos and I
      > came across some great pictures of a ruling machine. Can someone tell
      > me more about this machine. Is it for sale?
      >
      > Thank you,
      > Keith
      >
      > Leaders in yesterday's technology.
      > ***
      > The Graphic Touch Letterpress & Binding Company
      > Salem, Ohio
      > 800-433-1288
    • Scott Williams
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 11, 2004
        If I'm not mistaken, I think these photos are of Jim Horton's ruling
        machine. The believe the one in the photo came from David Sanders and the
        Sanders Engraving Co. in Chicago, but Jim owns several.

        These machines were used to cut very fine lines (tints) in wood blocks. It
        could cut parallel lines, concentric circles and wavy lines in a manner that
        could not be duplicated by hand. Ruling machines were used primarily to
        create line engravings of equipment, retail products etc. for newspaper ads
        and catalogs.

        These ruling machines are part of Jim's collection and probably not for
        sale. However, you might want to contact him at jimhorton@... if
        you would like to discuss them further. He's the authority. He's used them
        in creating some of his wood engravings.

        ---> Scott