Ruling Machine

  • Keith Berger
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 10, 2004
      I recently got a problem with yahoo fixed so that I can actually get
      onto the PPLetterpress website. I was checking out the photos and I
      came across some great pictures of a ruling machine. Can someone tell
      me more about this machine. Is it for sale?

      Thank you,
      Keith

      Leaders in yesterday's technology.
      ***
      The Graphic Touch Letterpress & Binding Company
      Salem, Ohio
      800-433-1288
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 10, 2004
        Keith

        I think these photos were put up about a year ago. I searched the
        message archive and there was some activity relating to pen ruling
        machines from 12/1–12/12/03. I don't know off hand which member put it
        up as there is no name attached to the folder or the photo
        descriptions. As I recall though, it was not put up for sale but
        simply to show the machine.

        Gerald

        > I recently got a problem with yahoo fixed so that I can actually get
        > onto the PPLetterpress website. I was checking out the photos and I
        > came across some great pictures of a ruling machine. Can someone tell
        > me more about this machine. Is it for sale?
        >
        > Thank you,
        > Keith
        >
        > Leaders in yesterday's technology.
        > ***
        > The Graphic Touch Letterpress & Binding Company
        > Salem, Ohio
        > 800-433-1288
      • Scott Williams
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 11, 2004
          If I'm not mistaken, I think these photos are of Jim Horton's ruling
          machine. The believe the one in the photo came from David Sanders and the
          Sanders Engraving Co. in Chicago, but Jim owns several.

          These machines were used to cut very fine lines (tints) in wood blocks. It
          could cut parallel lines, concentric circles and wavy lines in a manner that
          could not be duplicated by hand. Ruling machines were used primarily to
          create line engravings of equipment, retail products etc. for newspaper ads
          and catalogs.

          These ruling machines are part of Jim's collection and probably not for
          sale. However, you might want to contact him at jimhorton@... if
          you would like to discuss them further. He's the authority. He's used them
          in creating some of his wood engravings.

          ---> Scott