Letterpress broadside gifts

  • Kim Vanderheiden
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 10, 2004
      Hi Mamie,
      I have three you might be interested in. All are shown on my web site:
      www.paintedtonguepress.com. The first is hand-set of the first section
      of T.S. Eliot's "The Waste Land". It is text only. The second,
      "Counting the Pieces" has a color etching of one of my drawings, and
      the poem it illustrates is letterpress printed beside it. The third is
      a variation of "Counting the Pieces" and the image is an offset
      printed, black and white reproduction of the pencil drawing, and is
      much less expensive than the hand-wiped etching. The poem is
      letterpress printed below.

      Have fun selecting broadside gifts!

      Cheers,
      Kim Vanderheiden

      > I've decided to support the art of letterpress printers this
      > Christmas. I'd
      > like to give broadsides to all on my gift list. Could printers who have
      > broadsides available for sale (especially those who don't readily show
      > up on internet
      > searches) either contact me, or let the entire list know? Maybe we can
      > all
      > support each other.
      >
      > Thanks,
      > Mamie Hale

    • Keith Berger
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 10, 2004
        I recently got a problem with yahoo fixed so that I can actually get
        onto the PPLetterpress website. I was checking out the photos and I
        came across some great pictures of a ruling machine. Can someone tell
        me more about this machine. Is it for sale?

        Thank you,
        Keith

        Leaders in yesterday's technology.
        ***
        The Graphic Touch Letterpress & Binding Company
        Salem, Ohio
        800-433-1288
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 10, 2004
          Keith

          I think these photos were put up about a year ago. I searched the
          message archive and there was some activity relating to pen ruling
          machines from 12/1–12/12/03. I don't know off hand which member put it
          up as there is no name attached to the folder or the photo
          descriptions. As I recall though, it was not put up for sale but
          simply to show the machine.

          Gerald

          > I recently got a problem with yahoo fixed so that I can actually get
          > onto the PPLetterpress website. I was checking out the photos and I
          > came across some great pictures of a ruling machine. Can someone tell
          > me more about this machine. Is it for sale?
          >
          > Thank you,
          > Keith
          >
          > Leaders in yesterday's technology.
          > ***
          > The Graphic Touch Letterpress & Binding Company
          > Salem, Ohio
          > 800-433-1288
        • Scott Williams
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 11, 2004
            If I'm not mistaken, I think these photos are of Jim Horton's ruling
            machine. The believe the one in the photo came from David Sanders and the
            Sanders Engraving Co. in Chicago, but Jim owns several.

            These machines were used to cut very fine lines (tints) in wood blocks. It
            could cut parallel lines, concentric circles and wavy lines in a manner that
            could not be duplicated by hand. Ruling machines were used primarily to
            create line engravings of equipment, retail products etc. for newspaper ads
            and catalogs.

            These ruling machines are part of Jim's collection and probably not for
            sale. However, you might want to contact him at jimhorton@... if
            you would like to discuss them further. He's the authority. He's used them
            in creating some of his wood engravings.

            ---> Scott