Re: [PPLetterpress] Looking for broadsides

  • Michael Andrews
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 10, 2004
      Hi Mamie

      I have a number of broadsides at
      http://www.beachnet.com/~apeiron/BroadsideTable.htm
      at $50 to $75 apiece.

      They are somewhat different than the usual broadside
      in that they are a conflation of text and photographic
      image. This was, in fact, a result of talking with
      Gerald at one of our skull banging talks.

      Although I considered the broadside an almost perfect
      media for my work, in that they could be priced very
      low in relation to photographic print market, and that
      they are about the only media that is widely accepted
      as being okay for combining text and image.

      But it also my experience that broadsides are not hot
      sellers. I have talked to several dealers/buyers who
      are not even interested in looking at something so
      undesirable as broadsides.

      My further impression is that although relatively
      inexpensive, they sell largely as objects that are
      parasitical to the well-known, famous or dead, and do
      not do as well as objects sought after for their own
      intrinsic value.

      So, I am not sure what you mean by support. Do you
      mean a mutual self help effort, or do you mean you
      have some actual way to sell broadsides?

      I can let you know if I have any success at Pyramid
      Atlantic with them. My understanding of PA is that it
      largely populated with folks looking for $25 Xmas
      gifts. So who knows?

      But thank you, thank you for raising the issue.

      Michael Andrews
      Bombshelter Press

      --- Gerald Lange <bieler@...> wrote:

      > Yes, this is a wonderful idea. I started putting up
      > broadsides on eBay a
      > while back as a way of showing and describing the
      > work. There was far
      > more interest in them than I would have thought
      > (fine press books, on
      > the other hand, are a bit too pricey to move well).
      > The idea of selling
      > broadsides for holiday gift giving occured to me as
      > well and I began to
      > load my scheduled listings up about a week ago.
      >
      > BTW: There is a Files section here on site, where
      > publishers can put up
      > their catalogs and announcements (in either
      > text-based form or
      > downloadable PDF form). There is also the Photos
      > section (for images),
      > and the Links section for placing URLs to web sites.
      > Since these are a
      > free resource I've been more than a little surprised
      > that more members
      > have not taken advantage of this.
      >
      > There are many opportunities for non-traditional
      > marketing that have
      > opened up on the web. Just putting up a web site is
      > not necessarily the
      > only avenue. Nor the most effective. Fine press
      > printer-publishers have
      > really not been pro-active enough in utilizing the
      > possibilities
      > provided by the web. If you issue ISBN numbers with
      > your publications,
      > for instance, and your title is listed on Amazon,
      > you can piggy-back on
      > the listings with the I Have One For Sale feature.
      > Lots of little niches
      > out there.
      >
      > Gerald
      >
      > Eileen O Malley Callahan wrote:
      >

      > >Hoo-ray, Hoo-ray, Hoo-ray ! Good for you. Perhaps
      > you'll start a
      > >movement! Folks I know who are doing broadsides
      > would dearly love to
      > >sell them, and I've passed you name on. Definately
      > NOT on the
      > >Internet, but well worth the knowing of them.
      > >
      > >Cheers,
      > >
      > >Eileen
      > >

      > >I've decided to support the art of letterpress
      > printers this Christmas. I'd
      > >like to give broadsides to all on my gift list.
      > Could printers who have
      > >broadsides available for sale (especially those who
      > don't readily
      > >show up on internet
      > >searches) either contact me, or let the entire list
      > know? Maybe we can all
      > >support each other.
      > >
      > >Thanks,
      > >Mamie Hale

      > --------------------~-->
      > Toolbar.

      http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/mFXtlB/TM

      Check out the new Yahoo! Front Page.
      www.yahoo.com
    • Chip Schilling
      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 10, 2004
        It is great to hear that people are excited about broadsides and interested
        in supporting them.

        Please check out my site for more broadside options.
        www.indulgencepress.com

        All the best,
        Chip
        --

        Chip Schilling
        Indulgence Press

        On 11/9/04 9:54 AM, "mamiehale@..." <mamiehale@...> wrote:

        > I've decided to support the art of letterpress printers this Christmas. I'd
        > like to give broadsides to all on my gift list. Could printers who have
        > broadsides available for sale (especially those who don't readily show up on
        > internet
        > searches) either contact me, or let the entire list know? Maybe we can all
        > support each other.
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Mamie Hale

        > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
        >
        > <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129a0r3ks/M=281955.5530326.6602771.3001176/D=grou
        > ps/S=1706389862:HM/EXP=1100102512/A=2343726/R=0/SIG=12it1tu7c/*http://clk.atdm
        > t.com/VON/go/yhxxxvon01900091von/direct/01/&time=1100016112509070> Get
        > unlimited calls to U.S./Canada
        > <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129a0r3ks/M=281955.5530326.6602771.3001176/D=grou
        > ps/S=1706389862:HM/EXP=1100102512/A=2343726/R=1/SIG=12it1tu7c/*http://clk.atdm
        > t.com/VON/go/yhxxxvon01900091von/direct/01/&time=1100016112509070>

        > *
        > *
        > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

      • champecarter
        Message 3 of 15 , Nov 10, 2004
          You might like to know that the Center for Book Arts in NY has a wonderful series to
          support poets. They have 6 readings a year, with 2 poets featured each time. Leading
          up to the reading, letterpress printers are approached to print one broadside of a
          featured poet. The printer chooses the poem, and designs and prints the broadside.
          The poet signs the edition. It's done pro bono to support the Center. Then, the CBA
          sells the broadsides for very reasonable prices. At the end of the year, they are all
          collected in a portfolio, and the printer gets one complete set. The whole porfolio is
          also available for sale to the public, I believe. I know about it since I have printed two
          broadsides for them in the last year.

          http://www.centerforbookarts.org/

          Contact them for details.
          info@...

          Regards,
          Champe Smith

          --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, mamiehale@a... wrote:

          > I've decided to support the art of letterpress printers this Christmas. I'd
          > like to give broadsides to all on my gift list. Could printers who have
          > broadsides available for sale (especially those who don't readily show up on
          internet
          > searches) either contact me, or let the entire list know? Maybe we can all
          > support each other.
          >
          > Thanks,
          > Mamie Hale

        • Jenni Undis
          Message 4 of 15 , Nov 10, 2004
            There's a series of small, simple poetry broadsides available at:

            http://www.culturalsociety.org/miniside.html

            I can attest to their quality - printed at Lunalux!

            Jennifer Undis
            Lunalux Art & Design Workshop
            1618 Harmon Place � Minneapolis, Minnesota 55403
            ph. 612-373-0526 � fx. 612-673-0671

          • Kathleen Whalen
            Message 5 of 15 , Nov 10, 2004
              I think you will find the photos and an accompanying article in an issue of
              Matrix - there is a printed index to the first 21 copies available. Must be
              in a university library near you!

              Graham Moss
              Incline Press
              36 Bow Street