Re: [PPLetterpress] Looking for broadsides

  • Deep Wood Press
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 9, 2004
      I've got a couple on my website listed below. They're in the books and
      broadsides category.

      Chad
      _____________________________

      Chad Pastotnik
      Deep Wood Press 231.587.0506
      www.deepwoodpress.com

      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 9, 2004
        Eileen

        I've put the photos up in a folder within The Bieler Press folder.

        The original publication is _Le Point_, "Imprimeries Clandestines,"
        XXXI, Mars 1945. Photographies by Robert Doisnea.

        Movie?

        You won't have much luck printing these on the Vandercook.

        Gerald

        > Thanks a lot Gerald. I'd love to do something in class via the
        > Vandercook with them. The original movie would be interesting to
        > track down.
        >
        > I'll go to the site tomorrow for those photos - thanks again for
        > taking the time to help.
        >
        > Eileen
        >
        > > Thanks,.
        > >
        > > Eileen
        > > --
        > >

        > > Eileen Grace O Malley Callahan
        > > Office of Undergraduate and Interdisciplinary Studies
        > > 301 Campbell Hall
        > > University of California, Berkeley
        > > (510) 643-2173
        > > callahan@u...
      • ERIC WOODS
        Message 3 of 15 , Nov 9, 2004
          Check out www.firecrackerpress.com

          Lots for sale there including many items that would
          make great holiday gifts.

          Eric Woods, Owner
          The Firecracker Press

          --- mamiehale@... wrote:

          > I've decided to support the art of letterpress
          > printers this Christmas. I'd
          > like to give broadsides to all on my gift list.
          > Could printers who have
          > broadsides available for sale (especially those who
          > don't readily show up on internet
          > searches) either contact me, or let the entire list
          > know? Maybe we can all
          > support each other.
          >
          > Thanks,
          > Mamie Hale

          > removed]

          Check out the new Yahoo! Front Page.
          www.yahoo.com
        • Michael Andrews
          Message 4 of 15 , Nov 10, 2004
            Hi Mamie

            I have a number of broadsides at
            http://www.beachnet.com/~apeiron/BroadsideTable.htm
            at $50 to $75 apiece.

            They are somewhat different than the usual broadside
            in that they are a conflation of text and photographic
            image. This was, in fact, a result of talking with
            Gerald at one of our skull banging talks.

            Although I considered the broadside an almost perfect
            media for my work, in that they could be priced very
            low in relation to photographic print market, and that
            they are about the only media that is widely accepted
            as being okay for combining text and image.

            But it also my experience that broadsides are not hot
            sellers. I have talked to several dealers/buyers who
            are not even interested in looking at something so
            undesirable as broadsides.

            My further impression is that although relatively
            inexpensive, they sell largely as objects that are
            parasitical to the well-known, famous or dead, and do
            not do as well as objects sought after for their own
            intrinsic value.

            So, I am not sure what you mean by support. Do you
            mean a mutual self help effort, or do you mean you
            have some actual way to sell broadsides?

            I can let you know if I have any success at Pyramid
            Atlantic with them. My understanding of PA is that it
            largely populated with folks looking for $25 Xmas
            gifts. So who knows?

            But thank you, thank you for raising the issue.

            Michael Andrews
            Bombshelter Press

            http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/mFXtlB/TM

            Check out the new Yahoo! Front Page.
            www.yahoo.com
          • Chip Schilling
            Message 5 of 15 , Nov 10, 2004
              It is great to hear that people are excited about broadsides and interested
              in supporting them.

              Please check out my site for more broadside options.
              www.indulgencepress.com

              All the best,
              Chip
              --

              Chip Schilling
              Indulgence Press

              On 11/9/04 9:54 AM, "mamiehale@..." <mamiehale@...> wrote:

              > I've decided to support the art of letterpress printers this Christmas. I'd
              > like to give broadsides to all on my gift list. Could printers who have
              > broadsides available for sale (especially those who don't readily show up on
              > internet
              > searches) either contact me, or let the entire list know? Maybe we can all
              > support each other.
              >
              > Thanks,
              > Mamie Hale

              > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
              >
              > <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129a0r3ks/M=281955.5530326.6602771.3001176/D=grou
              > ps/S=1706389862:HM/EXP=1100102512/A=2343726/R=0/SIG=12it1tu7c/*http://clk.atdm
              > t.com/VON/go/yhxxxvon01900091von/direct/01/&time=1100016112509070> Get
              > unlimited calls to U.S./Canada
              > <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129a0r3ks/M=281955.5530326.6602771.3001176/D=grou
              > ps/S=1706389862:HM/EXP=1100102512/A=2343726/R=1/SIG=12it1tu7c/*http://clk.atdm
              > t.com/VON/go/yhxxxvon01900091von/direct/01/&time=1100016112509070>

              > *
              > *
              > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

            • champecarter
              Message 6 of 15 , Nov 10, 2004
                You might like to know that the Center for Book Arts in NY has a wonderful series to
                support poets. They have 6 readings a year, with 2 poets featured each time. Leading
                up to the reading, letterpress printers are approached to print one broadside of a
                featured poet. The printer chooses the poem, and designs and prints the broadside.
                The poet signs the edition. It's done pro bono to support the Center. Then, the CBA
                sells the broadsides for very reasonable prices. At the end of the year, they are all
                collected in a portfolio, and the printer gets one complete set. The whole porfolio is
                also available for sale to the public, I believe. I know about it since I have printed two
                broadsides for them in the last year.

                http://www.centerforbookarts.org/

                Contact them for details.
                info@...

                Regards,
                Champe Smith

                --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, mamiehale@a... wrote:

                > I've decided to support the art of letterpress printers this Christmas. I'd
                > like to give broadsides to all on my gift list. Could printers who have
                > broadsides available for sale (especially those who don't readily show up on
                internet
                > searches) either contact me, or let the entire list know? Maybe we can all
                > support each other.
                >
                > Thanks,
                > Mamie Hale

              • Jenni Undis
                Message 7 of 15 , Nov 10, 2004
                  There's a series of small, simple poetry broadsides available at:

                  http://www.culturalsociety.org/miniside.html

                  I can attest to their quality - printed at Lunalux!

                  Jennifer Undis
                  Lunalux Art & Design Workshop
                  1618 Harmon Place � Minneapolis, Minnesota 55403
                  ph. 612-373-0526 � fx. 612-673-0671

                • Kathleen Whalen
                  Message 8 of 15 , Nov 10, 2004
                    I think you will find the photos and an accompanying article in an issue of
                    Matrix - there is a printed index to the first 21 copies available. Must be
                    in a university library near you!

                    Graham Moss
                    Incline Press
                    36 Bow Street