Re: [PPLetterpress] Looking for broadsides

  • Jessica Spring
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 9, 2004
      Mamie--
      Check out http://www.springtidepress.com/miniprospectus.pdf

      I sell the broadsides individually ($100 each) and they are printed
      letterpress on handmade paper. Saffron is sold out.
      Thanks for asking!
      Are you selling any??

      Jessica Spring
      SPRINGTIDE PRESS
      http://www.springtidepress.com
      253.627.8629

      > From: mamiehale@...
      > Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2004 10:54:53 EST
      > To: PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
      > Subject: [PPLetterpress] Looking for broadsides
      >

      > I've decided to support the art of letterpress printers this Christmas. I'd
      > like to give broadsides to all on my gift list. Could printers who have
      > broadsides available for sale (especially those who don't readily show up on
      > internet
      > searches) either contact me, or let the entire list know? Maybe we can all
      > support each other.
      >
      > Thanks,
      > Mamie Hale

    • Deep Wood Press
      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 9, 2004
        I've got a couple on my website listed below. They're in the books and
        broadsides category.

        Chad
        _____________________________

        Chad Pastotnik
        Deep Wood Press 231.587.0506
        www.deepwoodpress.com

        Message 3 of 15 , Nov 9, 2004
          Eileen

          I've put the photos up in a folder within The Bieler Press folder.

          The original publication is _Le Point_, "Imprimeries Clandestines,"
          XXXI, Mars 1945. Photographies by Robert Doisnea.

          Movie?

          You won't have much luck printing these on the Vandercook.

          Gerald

          > Thanks a lot Gerald. I'd love to do something in class via the
          > Vandercook with them. The original movie would be interesting to
          > track down.
          >
          > I'll go to the site tomorrow for those photos - thanks again for
          > taking the time to help.
          >
          > Eileen
          >
          > > Thanks,.
          > >
          > > Eileen
          > > --
          > >

          > > Eileen Grace O Malley Callahan
          > > Office of Undergraduate and Interdisciplinary Studies
          > > 301 Campbell Hall
          > > University of California, Berkeley
          > > (510) 643-2173
          > > callahan@u...
        • ERIC WOODS
          Message 4 of 15 , Nov 9, 2004
            Check out www.firecrackerpress.com

            Lots for sale there including many items that would
            make great holiday gifts.

            Eric Woods, Owner
            The Firecracker Press

            --- mamiehale@... wrote:

            > I've decided to support the art of letterpress
            > printers this Christmas. I'd
            > like to give broadsides to all on my gift list.
            > Could printers who have
            > broadsides available for sale (especially those who
            > don't readily show up on internet
            > searches) either contact me, or let the entire list
            > know? Maybe we can all
            > support each other.
            >
            > Thanks,
            > Mamie Hale

            > removed]

            Check out the new Yahoo! Front Page.
            www.yahoo.com
          • Michael Andrews
            Message 5 of 15 , Nov 10, 2004
              Hi Mamie

              I have a number of broadsides at
              http://www.beachnet.com/~apeiron/BroadsideTable.htm
              at $50 to $75 apiece.

              They are somewhat different than the usual broadside
              in that they are a conflation of text and photographic
              image. This was, in fact, a result of talking with
              Gerald at one of our skull banging talks.

              Although I considered the broadside an almost perfect
              media for my work, in that they could be priced very
              low in relation to photographic print market, and that
              they are about the only media that is widely accepted
              as being okay for combining text and image.

              But it also my experience that broadsides are not hot
              sellers. I have talked to several dealers/buyers who
              are not even interested in looking at something so
              undesirable as broadsides.

              My further impression is that although relatively
              inexpensive, they sell largely as objects that are
              parasitical to the well-known, famous or dead, and do
              not do as well as objects sought after for their own
              intrinsic value.

              So, I am not sure what you mean by support. Do you
              mean a mutual self help effort, or do you mean you
              have some actual way to sell broadsides?

              I can let you know if I have any success at Pyramid
              Atlantic with them. My understanding of PA is that it
              largely populated with folks looking for $25 Xmas
              gifts. So who knows?

              But thank you, thank you for raising the issue.

              Michael Andrews
              Bombshelter Press

              http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/mFXtlB/TM

              Check out the new Yahoo! Front Page.
              www.yahoo.com
            • Chip Schilling
              Message 6 of 15 , Nov 10, 2004
                It is great to hear that people are excited about broadsides and interested
                in supporting them.

                Please check out my site for more broadside options.
                www.indulgencepress.com

                All the best,
                Chip
                --

                Chip Schilling
                Indulgence Press

                On 11/9/04 9:54 AM, "mamiehale@..." <mamiehale@...> wrote:

                > I've decided to support the art of letterpress printers this Christmas. I'd
                > like to give broadsides to all on my gift list. Could printers who have
                > broadsides available for sale (especially those who don't readily show up on
                > internet
                > searches) either contact me, or let the entire list know? Maybe we can all
                > support each other.
                >
                > Thanks,
                > Mamie Hale

                > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                >
                > <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129a0r3ks/M=281955.5530326.6602771.3001176/D=grou
                > ps/S=1706389862:HM/EXP=1100102512/A=2343726/R=0/SIG=12it1tu7c/*http://clk.atdm
                > t.com/VON/go/yhxxxvon01900091von/direct/01/&time=1100016112509070> Get
                > unlimited calls to U.S./Canada
                > <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129a0r3ks/M=281955.5530326.6602771.3001176/D=grou
                > ps/S=1706389862:HM/EXP=1100102512/A=2343726/R=1/SIG=12it1tu7c/*http://clk.atdm
                > t.com/VON/go/yhxxxvon01900091von/direct/01/&time=1100016112509070>

                > *
                > *
                > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

              • champecarter
                Message 7 of 15 , Nov 10, 2004
                  You might like to know that the Center for Book Arts in NY has a wonderful series to
                  support poets. They have 6 readings a year, with 2 poets featured each time. Leading
                  up to the reading, letterpress printers are approached to print one broadside of a
                  featured poet. The printer chooses the poem, and designs and prints the broadside.
                  The poet signs the edition. It's done pro bono to support the Center. Then, the CBA
                  sells the broadsides for very reasonable prices. At the end of the year, they are all
                  collected in a portfolio, and the printer gets one complete set. The whole porfolio is
                  also available for sale to the public, I believe. I know about it since I have printed two
                  broadsides for them in the last year.

                  http://www.centerforbookarts.org/

                  Contact them for details.
                  info@...

                  Regards,
                  Champe Smith

                  --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, mamiehale@a... wrote:

                  > I've decided to support the art of letterpress printers this Christmas. I'd
                  > like to give broadsides to all on my gift list. Could printers who have
                  > broadsides available for sale (especially those who don't readily show up on
                  internet
                  > searches) either contact me, or let the entire list know? Maybe we can all
                  > support each other.
                  >
                  > Thanks,
                  > Mamie Hale

                • Jenni Undis
                  Message 8 of 15 , Nov 10, 2004
                    There's a series of small, simple poetry broadsides available at:

                    http://www.culturalsociety.org/miniside.html

                    I can attest to their quality - printed at Lunalux!

                    Jennifer Undis
                    Lunalux Art & Design Workshop
                    1618 Harmon Place � Minneapolis, Minnesota 55403
                    ph. 612-373-0526 � fx. 612-673-0671

                  • Kathleen Whalen
                    Message 9 of 15 , Nov 10, 2004
                      I think you will find the photos and an accompanying article in an issue of
                      Matrix - there is a printed index to the first 21 copies available. Must be
                      in a university library near you!

                      Graham Moss
                      Incline Press
                      36 Bow Street