Re: [PPLetterpress] Looking for broadsides

  • Jessica Spring
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 9, 2004
      Mamie--
      Check out http://www.springtidepress.com/miniprospectus.pdf

      I sell the broadsides individually ($100 each) and they are printed
      letterpress on handmade paper. Saffron is sold out.
      Thanks for asking!
      Are you selling any??

      Jessica Spring
      SPRINGTIDE PRESS
      http://www.springtidepress.com
      253.627.8629

      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 9, 2004
        Yes, this is a wonderful idea. I started putting up broadsides on eBay a
        while back as a way of showing and describing the work. There was far
        more interest in them than I would have thought (fine press books, on
        the other hand, are a bit too pricey to move well). The idea of selling
        broadsides for holiday gift giving occured to me as well and I began to
        load my scheduled listings up about a week ago.

        BTW: There is a Files section here on site, where publishers can put up
        their catalogs and announcements (in either text-based form or
        downloadable PDF form). There is also the Photos section (for images),
        and the Links section for placing URLs to web sites. Since these are a
        free resource I've been more than a little surprised that more members
        have not taken advantage of this.

        There are many opportunities for non-traditional marketing that have
        opened up on the web. Just putting up a web site is not necessarily the
        only avenue. Nor the most effective. Fine press printer-publishers have
        really not been pro-active enough in utilizing the possibilities
        provided by the web. If you issue ISBN numbers with your publications,
        for instance, and your title is listed on Amazon, you can piggy-back on
        the listings with the I Have One For Sale feature. Lots of little niches
        out there.

        Gerald

        Eileen O Malley Callahan wrote:

        >Hoo-ray, Hoo-ray, Hoo-ray ! Good for you. Perhaps you'll start a
        >movement! Folks I know who are doing broadsides would dearly love to
        >sell them, and I've passed you name on. Definately NOT on the
        >Internet, but well worth the knowing of them.
        >
        >Cheers,
        >
        >Eileen
        >

        >I've decided to support the art of letterpress printers this Christmas. I'd
        >like to give broadsides to all on my gift list. Could printers who have
        >broadsides available for sale (especially those who don't readily
        >show up on internet
        >searches) either contact me, or let the entire list know? Maybe we can all
        >support each other.
        >
        >Thanks,
        >Mamie Hale

      • Deep Wood Press
        Message 3 of 15 , Nov 9, 2004
          I've got a couple on my website listed below. They're in the books and
          broadsides category.

          Chad
          _____________________________

          Chad Pastotnik
          Deep Wood Press 231.587.0506
          www.deepwoodpress.com

          Message 4 of 15 , Nov 9, 2004
            Eileen

            I've put the photos up in a folder within The Bieler Press folder.

            The original publication is _Le Point_, "Imprimeries Clandestines,"
            XXXI, Mars 1945. Photographies by Robert Doisnea.

            Movie?

            You won't have much luck printing these on the Vandercook.

            Gerald

            > Thanks a lot Gerald. I'd love to do something in class via the
            > Vandercook with them. The original movie would be interesting to
            > track down.
            >
            > I'll go to the site tomorrow for those photos - thanks again for
            > taking the time to help.
            >
            > Eileen
            >
            > > Thanks,.
            > >
            > > Eileen
            > > --
            > >

            > > Eileen Grace O Malley Callahan
            > > Office of Undergraduate and Interdisciplinary Studies
            > > 301 Campbell Hall
            > > University of California, Berkeley
            > > (510) 643-2173
            > > callahan@u...
          • ERIC WOODS
            Message 5 of 15 , Nov 9, 2004
              Check out www.firecrackerpress.com

              Lots for sale there including many items that would
              make great holiday gifts.

              Eric Woods, Owner
              The Firecracker Press

              --- mamiehale@... wrote:

              > I've decided to support the art of letterpress
              > printers this Christmas. I'd
              > like to give broadsides to all on my gift list.
              > Could printers who have
              > broadsides available for sale (especially those who
              > don't readily show up on internet
              > searches) either contact me, or let the entire list
              > know? Maybe we can all
              > support each other.
              >
              > Thanks,
              > Mamie Hale

              > removed]

              Check out the new Yahoo! Front Page.
              www.yahoo.com
            • Michael Andrews
              Message 6 of 15 , Nov 10, 2004
                Hi Mamie

                I have a number of broadsides at
                http://www.beachnet.com/~apeiron/BroadsideTable.htm
                at $50 to $75 apiece.

                They are somewhat different than the usual broadside
                in that they are a conflation of text and photographic
                image. This was, in fact, a result of talking with
                Gerald at one of our skull banging talks.

                Although I considered the broadside an almost perfect
                media for my work, in that they could be priced very
                low in relation to photographic print market, and that
                they are about the only media that is widely accepted
                as being okay for combining text and image.

                But it also my experience that broadsides are not hot
                sellers. I have talked to several dealers/buyers who
                are not even interested in looking at something so
                undesirable as broadsides.

                My further impression is that although relatively
                inexpensive, they sell largely as objects that are
                parasitical to the well-known, famous or dead, and do
                not do as well as objects sought after for their own
                intrinsic value.

                So, I am not sure what you mean by support. Do you
                mean a mutual self help effort, or do you mean you
                have some actual way to sell broadsides?

                I can let you know if I have any success at Pyramid
                Atlantic with them. My understanding of PA is that it
                largely populated with folks looking for $25 Xmas
                gifts. So who knows?

                But thank you, thank you for raising the issue.

                Michael Andrews
                Bombshelter Press

                http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/mFXtlB/TM

                Check out the new Yahoo! Front Page.
                www.yahoo.com
              • Chip Schilling
                Message 7 of 15 , Nov 10, 2004
                  It is great to hear that people are excited about broadsides and interested
                  in supporting them.

                  Please check out my site for more broadside options.
                  www.indulgencepress.com

                  All the best,
                  Chip
                  --

                  Chip Schilling
                  Indulgence Press

                  On 11/9/04 9:54 AM, "mamiehale@..." <mamiehale@...> wrote:

                  > I've decided to support the art of letterpress printers this Christmas. I'd
                  > like to give broadsides to all on my gift list. Could printers who have
                  > broadsides available for sale (especially those who don't readily show up on
                  > internet
                  > searches) either contact me, or let the entire list know? Maybe we can all
                  > support each other.
                  >
                  > Thanks,
                  > Mamie Hale

                  > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                  >
                  > <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129a0r3ks/M=281955.5530326.6602771.3001176/D=grou
                  > ps/S=1706389862:HM/EXP=1100102512/A=2343726/R=0/SIG=12it1tu7c/*http://clk.atdm
                  > t.com/VON/go/yhxxxvon01900091von/direct/01/&time=1100016112509070> Get
                  > unlimited calls to U.S./Canada
                  > <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129a0r3ks/M=281955.5530326.6602771.3001176/D=grou
                  > ps/S=1706389862:HM/EXP=1100102512/A=2343726/R=1/SIG=12it1tu7c/*http://clk.atdm
                  > t.com/VON/go/yhxxxvon01900091von/direct/01/&time=1100016112509070>

                  > *
                  > *
                  > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

                • champecarter
                  Message 8 of 15 , Nov 10, 2004
                    You might like to know that the Center for Book Arts in NY has a wonderful series to
                    support poets. They have 6 readings a year, with 2 poets featured each time. Leading
                    up to the reading, letterpress printers are approached to print one broadside of a
                    featured poet. The printer chooses the poem, and designs and prints the broadside.
                    The poet signs the edition. It's done pro bono to support the Center. Then, the CBA
                    sells the broadsides for very reasonable prices. At the end of the year, they are all
                    collected in a portfolio, and the printer gets one complete set. The whole porfolio is
                    also available for sale to the public, I believe. I know about it since I have printed two
                    broadsides for them in the last year.

                    http://www.centerforbookarts.org/

                    Contact them for details.
                    info@...

                    Regards,
                    Champe Smith

                    --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, mamiehale@a... wrote:

                    > I've decided to support the art of letterpress printers this Christmas. I'd
                    > like to give broadsides to all on my gift list. Could printers who have
                    > broadsides available for sale (especially those who don't readily show up on
                    internet
                    > searches) either contact me, or let the entire list know? Maybe we can all
                    > support each other.
                    >
                    > Thanks,
                    > Mamie Hale

                  • Jenni Undis
                    Message 9 of 15 , Nov 10, 2004
                      There's a series of small, simple poetry broadsides available at:

                      http://www.culturalsociety.org/miniside.html

                      I can attest to their quality - printed at Lunalux!

                      Jennifer Undis
                      Lunalux Art & Design Workshop
                      1618 Harmon Place � Minneapolis, Minnesota 55403
                      ph. 612-373-0526 � fx. 612-673-0671

                    • Kathleen Whalen
                      Message 10 of 15 , Nov 10, 2004
                        I think you will find the photos and an accompanying article in an issue of
                        Matrix - there is a printed index to the first 21 copies available. Must be
                        in a university library near you!

                        Graham Moss
                        Incline Press
                        36 Bow Street