Re: [PPLetterpress] vacuum exposure unit

  • D. McNaughton
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 22 5:21 AM
      I am just exploring the possibilities of of PP again. In the early 80's I
      had a processing unit but after the last 18 years or so in offset I am
      coming back to letterpress with the intention of having a small hobby
      business. For this reason I cannot justify the cost of a commercial unit so
      was wondering if any one could help with plans of a vacuum frame or any
      suggestions on how to make one.

      David McNaughton

      Toora Australia

      > From: "Harold \"Jay\" Kyle" <harold@...>
      > Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2001 13:30:43 -0400
      > to say that if you care about the quality of your (expensive)
      > photopolymer plates, you should not use an exposure unit for alt-process.
      > You need a vacuum and you should try to use kreene, which will minimize
      > light distortion. I sell the kreene at $1 per square foot. Kreene needs to
      > be replaced periodically because it loses its plasticity and can soil up.
      > Oh, and I also have a few extra vacuum pumps laying around--make an offer.
      >
      > Harold Kyle

    • Sue Ereio
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 30, 2005
        There are plans available on the site www.polymerplates.com

        --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "D. McNaughton" <dmac@d...>

        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 30, 2005
          Sue

          Thanks for the tip but that link doesn't work, did you mean?

          http://www.photopolymerplates.com/

          I don't indend to be snotty by this comment, but it is never "polymer" or poly," photopolymer" is the proper word. The correct term will save folks a lot of grief in searching for information on the web.

          And by this I don't mean to start up a controversy similar to the one awhile back concerning the use of "letterpresser" or "letterpressed." :—)

          In the Files section here is a very useful article by Brian Allen on building a
          homemade photopolymer plate processing system: