Re: [PPLetterpress] Looking for broadsides

  • Jessica Spring
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 9, 2004
      Mamie--
      Check out http://www.springtidepress.com/miniprospectus.pdf

      I sell the broadsides individually ($100 each) and they are printed
      letterpress on handmade paper. Saffron is sold out.
      Thanks for asking!
      Are you selling any??

      Jessica Spring
      SPRINGTIDE PRESS
      http://www.springtidepress.com
      253.627.8629

      > From: mamiehale@...
      > Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2004 10:54:53 EST
      > To: PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
      > Subject: [PPLetterpress] Looking for broadsides
      >

      > I've decided to support the art of letterpress printers this Christmas. I'd
      > like to give broadsides to all on my gift list. Could printers who have
      > broadsides available for sale (especially those who don't readily show up on
      > internet
      > searches) either contact me, or let the entire list know? Maybe we can all
      > support each other.
      >
      > Thanks,
      > Mamie Hale

    • Eileen O Malley Callahan
      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 9, 2004
        Thanks a lot Gerald. I'd love to do something in class via the
        Vandercook with them. The original movie would be interesting to
        track down.

        I'll go to the site tomorrow for those photos - thanks again for
        taking the time to help.

        Eileen

        Eileen

        I removed them from the Photos section some time ago. I still have
        them in a folder somewhere and will put them up again (probably
        tomorrow sometime), though I may have reduced the original resolution
        at some point. If not I can rescan. They were all colotypes and
        reproduced quite well. Scanning devices love colotype!!!

        The publication they came from is quite hard to find. I collect
        fugitive publications, outsider art sort of thing, and it was one of
        those I was quite fortunate enough to have acquired.

        Gerald

        --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Eileen O Malley Callahan
        <africaomalley@e...> wrote:
        > Gerald, do you still have these French Resistence and letterpress
        > photos on the website for the group? I couldn't find them (although
        > they might be there - forgive me if I just can't see the obvious). I
        > would dearly love to have copies for my class. As I recall, one of
        > them showed a man riding a bicycle to power a letterpress, and the
        > other had three people, one a woman, setting and proofing type. If
        > you don't have those on line, do you know how I can get them?
        >
        > Thanks,.
        >
        > Eileen
        > --
        >

        > Eileen Grace O Malley Callahan
        > Office of Undergraduate and Interdisciplinary Studies
        > 301 Campbell Hall
        > University of California, Berkeley
        > (510) 643-2173
        > callahan@u...

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
        <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129u1a208/M=294855.5468653.6549235.3001176/D=groups/S=1706389862:HM/EXP=1100105552/A=2376776/R=0/SIG=11ldm1jvc/*http://promotions.yahoo.com/ydomains2004/index.html>

        Yahoo! Groups Links

        To visit your group on the web, go to:

        Message 3 of 15 , Nov 9, 2004
          Yes, this is a wonderful idea. I started putting up broadsides on eBay a
          while back as a way of showing and describing the work. There was far
          more interest in them than I would have thought (fine press books, on
          the other hand, are a bit too pricey to move well). The idea of selling
          broadsides for holiday gift giving occured to me as well and I began to
          load my scheduled listings up about a week ago.

          BTW: There is a Files section here on site, where publishers can put up
          their catalogs and announcements (in either text-based form or
          downloadable PDF form). There is also the Photos section (for images),
          and the Links section for placing URLs to web sites. Since these are a
          free resource I've been more than a little surprised that more members
          have not taken advantage of this.

          There are many opportunities for non-traditional marketing that have
          opened up on the web. Just putting up a web site is not necessarily the
          only avenue. Nor the most effective. Fine press printer-publishers have
          really not been pro-active enough in utilizing the possibilities
          provided by the web. If you issue ISBN numbers with your publications,
          for instance, and your title is listed on Amazon, you can piggy-back on
          the listings with the I Have One For Sale feature. Lots of little niches
          out there.

          Gerald

          Eileen O Malley Callahan wrote:

          >Hoo-ray, Hoo-ray, Hoo-ray ! Good for you. Perhaps you'll start a
          >movement! Folks I know who are doing broadsides would dearly love to
          >sell them, and I've passed you name on. Definately NOT on the
          >Internet, but well worth the knowing of them.
          >
          >Cheers,
          >
          >Eileen
          >

          >I've decided to support the art of letterpress printers this Christmas. I'd
          >like to give broadsides to all on my gift list. Could printers who have
          >broadsides available for sale (especially those who don't readily
          >show up on internet
          >searches) either contact me, or let the entire list know? Maybe we can all
          >support each other.
          >
          >Thanks,
          >Mamie Hale

        • Deep Wood Press
          Message 4 of 15 , Nov 9, 2004
            I've got a couple on my website listed below. They're in the books and
            broadsides category.

            Chad
            _____________________________

            Chad Pastotnik
            Deep Wood Press 231.587.0506
            www.deepwoodpress.com

            Message 5 of 15 , Nov 9, 2004
              Eileen

              I've put the photos up in a folder within The Bieler Press folder.

              The original publication is _Le Point_, "Imprimeries Clandestines,"
              XXXI, Mars 1945. Photographies by Robert Doisnea.

              Movie?

              You won't have much luck printing these on the Vandercook.

              Gerald

              > Thanks a lot Gerald. I'd love to do something in class via the
              > Vandercook with them. The original movie would be interesting to
              > track down.
              >
              > I'll go to the site tomorrow for those photos - thanks again for
              > taking the time to help.
              >
              > Eileen
              >
              > > Thanks,.
              > >
              > > Eileen
              > > --
              > >

              > > Eileen Grace O Malley Callahan
              > > Office of Undergraduate and Interdisciplinary Studies
              > > 301 Campbell Hall
              > > University of California, Berkeley
              > > (510) 643-2173
              > > callahan@u...
            • ERIC WOODS
              Message 6 of 15 , Nov 9, 2004
                Check out www.firecrackerpress.com

                Lots for sale there including many items that would
                make great holiday gifts.

                Eric Woods, Owner
                The Firecracker Press

                --- mamiehale@... wrote:

                > I've decided to support the art of letterpress
                > printers this Christmas. I'd
                > like to give broadsides to all on my gift list.
                > Could printers who have
                > broadsides available for sale (especially those who
                > don't readily show up on internet
                > searches) either contact me, or let the entire list
                > know? Maybe we can all
                > support each other.
                >
                > Thanks,
                > Mamie Hale

                > removed]

                Check out the new Yahoo! Front Page.
                www.yahoo.com
              • Michael Andrews
                Message 7 of 15 , Nov 10, 2004
                  Hi Mamie

                  I have a number of broadsides at
                  http://www.beachnet.com/~apeiron/BroadsideTable.htm
                  at $50 to $75 apiece.

                  They are somewhat different than the usual broadside
                  in that they are a conflation of text and photographic
                  image. This was, in fact, a result of talking with
                  Gerald at one of our skull banging talks.

                  Although I considered the broadside an almost perfect
                  media for my work, in that they could be priced very
                  low in relation to photographic print market, and that
                  they are about the only media that is widely accepted
                  as being okay for combining text and image.

                  But it also my experience that broadsides are not hot
                  sellers. I have talked to several dealers/buyers who
                  are not even interested in looking at something so
                  undesirable as broadsides.

                  My further impression is that although relatively
                  inexpensive, they sell largely as objects that are
                  parasitical to the well-known, famous or dead, and do
                  not do as well as objects sought after for their own
                  intrinsic value.

                  So, I am not sure what you mean by support. Do you
                  mean a mutual self help effort, or do you mean you
                  have some actual way to sell broadsides?

                  I can let you know if I have any success at Pyramid
                  Atlantic with them. My understanding of PA is that it
                  largely populated with folks looking for $25 Xmas
                  gifts. So who knows?

                  But thank you, thank you for raising the issue.

                  Michael Andrews
                  Bombshelter Press

                  http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/mFXtlB/TM

                  Check out the new Yahoo! Front Page.
                  www.yahoo.com
                • Chip Schilling
                  Message 8 of 15 , Nov 10, 2004
                    It is great to hear that people are excited about broadsides and interested
                    in supporting them.

                    Please check out my site for more broadside options.
                    www.indulgencepress.com

                    All the best,
                    Chip
                    --

                    Chip Schilling
                    Indulgence Press

                    On 11/9/04 9:54 AM, "mamiehale@..." <mamiehale@...> wrote:

                    > I've decided to support the art of letterpress printers this Christmas. I'd
                    > like to give broadsides to all on my gift list. Could printers who have
                    > broadsides available for sale (especially those who don't readily show up on
                    > internet
                    > searches) either contact me, or let the entire list know? Maybe we can all
                    > support each other.
                    >
                    > Thanks,
                    > Mamie Hale

                    > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                    >
                    > <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129a0r3ks/M=281955.5530326.6602771.3001176/D=grou
                    > ps/S=1706389862:HM/EXP=1100102512/A=2343726/R=0/SIG=12it1tu7c/*http://clk.atdm
                    > t.com/VON/go/yhxxxvon01900091von/direct/01/&time=1100016112509070> Get
                    > unlimited calls to U.S./Canada
                    > <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129a0r3ks/M=281955.5530326.6602771.3001176/D=grou
                    > ps/S=1706389862:HM/EXP=1100102512/A=2343726/R=1/SIG=12it1tu7c/*http://clk.atdm
                    > t.com/VON/go/yhxxxvon01900091von/direct/01/&time=1100016112509070>

                    > *
                    > *
                    > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

                  • champecarter
                    Message 9 of 15 , Nov 10, 2004
                      You might like to know that the Center for Book Arts in NY has a wonderful series to
                      support poets. They have 6 readings a year, with 2 poets featured each time. Leading
                      up to the reading, letterpress printers are approached to print one broadside of a
                      featured poet. The printer chooses the poem, and designs and prints the broadside.
                      The poet signs the edition. It's done pro bono to support the Center. Then, the CBA
                      sells the broadsides for very reasonable prices. At the end of the year, they are all
                      collected in a portfolio, and the printer gets one complete set. The whole porfolio is
                      also available for sale to the public, I believe. I know about it since I have printed two
                      broadsides for them in the last year.

                      http://www.centerforbookarts.org/

                      Contact them for details.
                      info@...

                      Regards,
                      Champe Smith

                      --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, mamiehale@a... wrote:

                      > I've decided to support the art of letterpress printers this Christmas. I'd
                      > like to give broadsides to all on my gift list. Could printers who have
                      > broadsides available for sale (especially those who don't readily show up on
                      internet
                      > searches) either contact me, or let the entire list know? Maybe we can all
                      > support each other.
                      >
                      > Thanks,
                      > Mamie Hale

                    • Jenni Undis
                      Message 10 of 15 , Nov 10, 2004
                        There's a series of small, simple poetry broadsides available at:

                        http://www.culturalsociety.org/miniside.html

                        I can attest to their quality - printed at Lunalux!

                        Jennifer Undis
                        Lunalux Art & Design Workshop
                        1618 Harmon Place � Minneapolis, Minnesota 55403
                        ph. 612-373-0526 � fx. 612-673-0671

                      • Kathleen Whalen
                        Message 11 of 15 , Nov 10, 2004
                          I think you will find the photos and an accompanying article in an issue of
                          Matrix - there is a printed index to the first 21 copies available. Must be
                          in a university library near you!

                          Graham Moss
                          Incline Press
                          36 Bow Street