Re: [PPLetterpress] Looking for broadsides

  • Jessica Spring
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 9, 2004
      Mamie--
      Check out http://www.springtidepress.com/miniprospectus.pdf

      I sell the broadsides individually ($100 each) and they are printed
      letterpress on handmade paper. Saffron is sold out.
      Thanks for asking!
      Are you selling any??

      Jessica Spring
      SPRINGTIDE PRESS
      http://www.springtidepress.com
      253.627.8629

      > From: mamiehale@...
      > Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2004 10:54:53 EST
      > To: PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
      > Subject: [PPLetterpress] Looking for broadsides
      >

      > I've decided to support the art of letterpress printers this Christmas. I'd
      > like to give broadsides to all on my gift list. Could printers who have
      > broadsides available for sale (especially those who don't readily show up on
      > internet
      > searches) either contact me, or let the entire list know? Maybe we can all
      > support each other.
      >
      > Thanks,
      > Mamie Hale

    • Eileen O Malley Callahan
      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 9, 2004
        Hoo-ray, Hoo-ray, Hoo-ray ! Good for you. Perhaps you'll start a
        movement! Folks I know who are doing broadsides would dearly love to
        sell them, and I've passed you name on. Definately NOT on the
        Internet, but well worth the knowing of them.

        Cheers,

        Eileen

        I've decided to support the art of letterpress printers this Christmas. I'd
        like to give broadsides to all on my gift list. Could printers who have
        broadsides available for sale (especially those who don't readily
        show up on internet
        searches) either contact me, or let the entire list know? Maybe we can all
        support each other.

        Thanks,
        Mamie Hale

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
        <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129a0r3ks/M=281955.5530326.6602771.3001176/D=groups/S=1706389862:HM/EXP=1100102512/A=2343726/R=0/SIG=12it1tu7c/*http://clk.atdmt.com/VON/go/yhxxxvon01900091von/direct/01/&time=1100016112509070>

        Get unlimited calls to

        U.S./Canada

        Yahoo! Groups Links

        To visit your group on the web, go to:

        Eileen Grace O Malley Callahan
        Office of Undergraduate and Interdisciplinary Studies
        301 Campbell Hall
        University of California, Berkeley
        (510) 643-2173
        callahan@...

        Message 3 of 15 , Nov 9, 2004
          Eileen

          I removed them from the Photos section some time ago. I still have
          them in a folder somewhere and will put them up again (probably
          tomorrow sometime), though I may have reduced the original resolution
          at some point. If not I can rescan. They were all colotypes and
          reproduced quite well. Scanning devices love colotype!!!

          The publication they came from is quite hard to find. I collect
          fugitive publications, outsider art sort of thing, and it was one of
          those I was quite fortunate enough to have acquired.

          Gerald

          --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Eileen O Malley Callahan
          <africaomalley@e...> wrote:
          > Gerald, do you still have these French Resistence and letterpress
          > photos on the website for the group? I couldn't find them (although
          > they might be there - forgive me if I just can't see the obvious). I
          > would dearly love to have copies for my class. As I recall, one of
          > them showed a man riding a bicycle to power a letterpress, and the
          > other had three people, one a woman, setting and proofing type. If
          > you don't have those on line, do you know how I can get them?
          >
          > Thanks,.
          >
          > Eileen
          > --
          >

          > Eileen Grace O Malley Callahan
          > Office of Undergraduate and Interdisciplinary Studies
          > 301 Campbell Hall
          > University of California, Berkeley
          > (510) 643-2173
          > callahan@u...
        • Eileen O Malley Callahan
          Message 4 of 15 , Nov 9, 2004
            Thanks a lot Gerald. I'd love to do something in class via the
            Vandercook with them. The original movie would be interesting to
            track down.

            I'll go to the site tomorrow for those photos - thanks again for
            taking the time to help.

            Eileen

            <africaomalley@e...> wrote:
            > Gerald, do you still have these French Resistence and letterpress
            > photos on the website for the group? I couldn't find them (although
            > they might be there - forgive me if I just can't see the obvious). I
            > would dearly love to have copies for my class. As I recall, one of
            > them showed a man riding a bicycle to power a letterpress, and the
            > other had three people, one a woman, setting and proofing type. If
            > you don't have those on line, do you know how I can get them?
            >
            > Thanks,.
            >
            > Eileen
            > --
            >

            > Eileen Grace O Malley Callahan
            > Office of Undergraduate and Interdisciplinary Studies
            > 301 Campbell Hall
            > University of California, Berkeley
            > (510) 643-2173
            > callahan@u...

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
            <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129u1a208/M=294855.5468653.6549235.3001176/D=groups/S=1706389862:HM/EXP=1100105552/A=2376776/R=0/SIG=11ldm1jvc/*http://promotions.yahoo.com/ydomains2004/index.html>

            Message 5 of 15 , Nov 9, 2004
              Yes, this is a wonderful idea. I started putting up broadsides on eBay a
              while back as a way of showing and describing the work. There was far
              more interest in them than I would have thought (fine press books, on
              the other hand, are a bit too pricey to move well). The idea of selling
              broadsides for holiday gift giving occured to me as well and I began to
              load my scheduled listings up about a week ago.

              BTW: There is a Files section here on site, where publishers can put up
              their catalogs and announcements (in either text-based form or
              downloadable PDF form). There is also the Photos section (for images),
              and the Links section for placing URLs to web sites. Since these are a
              free resource I've been more than a little surprised that more members
              have not taken advantage of this.

              There are many opportunities for non-traditional marketing that have
              opened up on the web. Just putting up a web site is not necessarily the
              only avenue. Nor the most effective. Fine press printer-publishers have
              really not been pro-active enough in utilizing the possibilities
              provided by the web. If you issue ISBN numbers with your publications,
              for instance, and your title is listed on Amazon, you can piggy-back on
              the listings with the I Have One For Sale feature. Lots of little niches
              out there.

              Gerald

              Eileen O Malley Callahan wrote:

              >Hoo-ray, Hoo-ray, Hoo-ray ! Good for you. Perhaps you'll start a
              >movement! Folks I know who are doing broadsides would dearly love to
              >sell them, and I've passed you name on. Definately NOT on the
              >Internet, but well worth the knowing of them.
              >
              >Cheers,
              >
              >Eileen
              >

              >I've decided to support the art of letterpress printers this Christmas. I'd
              >like to give broadsides to all on my gift list. Could printers who have
              >broadsides available for sale (especially those who don't readily
              >show up on internet
              >searches) either contact me, or let the entire list know? Maybe we can all
              >support each other.
              >
              >Thanks,
              >Mamie Hale

            • Deep Wood Press
              Message 6 of 15 , Nov 9, 2004
                I've got a couple on my website listed below. They're in the books and
                broadsides category.

                Chad
                _____________________________

                Chad Pastotnik
                Deep Wood Press 231.587.0506
                www.deepwoodpress.com

                Message 7 of 15 , Nov 9, 2004
                  Eileen

                  I've put the photos up in a folder within The Bieler Press folder.

                  The original publication is _Le Point_, "Imprimeries Clandestines,"
                  XXXI, Mars 1945. Photographies by Robert Doisnea.

                  Movie?

                  You won't have much luck printing these on the Vandercook.

                  Gerald

                  > Thanks a lot Gerald. I'd love to do something in class via the
                  > Vandercook with them. The original movie would be interesting to
                  > track down.
                  >
                  > I'll go to the site tomorrow for those photos - thanks again for
                  > taking the time to help.
                  >
                  > Eileen
                  >
                  > > Thanks,.
                  > >
                  > > Eileen
                  > > --
                  > >

                  > > Eileen Grace O Malley Callahan
                  > > Office of Undergraduate and Interdisciplinary Studies
                  > > 301 Campbell Hall
                  > > University of California, Berkeley
                  > > (510) 643-2173
                  > > callahan@u...
                • ERIC WOODS
                  Message 8 of 15 , Nov 9, 2004
                    Check out www.firecrackerpress.com

                    Lots for sale there including many items that would
                    make great holiday gifts.

                    Eric Woods, Owner
                    The Firecracker Press

                    --- mamiehale@... wrote:

                    > I've decided to support the art of letterpress
                    > printers this Christmas. I'd
                    > like to give broadsides to all on my gift list.
                    > Could printers who have
                    > broadsides available for sale (especially those who
                    > don't readily show up on internet
                    > searches) either contact me, or let the entire list
                    > know? Maybe we can all
                    > support each other.
                    >
                    > Thanks,
                    > Mamie Hale

                    > removed]

                    Check out the new Yahoo! Front Page.
                    www.yahoo.com
                  • Michael Andrews
                    Message 9 of 15 , Nov 10, 2004
                      Hi Mamie

                      I have a number of broadsides at
                      http://www.beachnet.com/~apeiron/BroadsideTable.htm
                      at $50 to $75 apiece.

                      They are somewhat different than the usual broadside
                      in that they are a conflation of text and photographic
                      image. This was, in fact, a result of talking with
                      Gerald at one of our skull banging talks.

                      Although I considered the broadside an almost perfect
                      media for my work, in that they could be priced very
                      low in relation to photographic print market, and that
                      they are about the only media that is widely accepted
                      as being okay for combining text and image.

                      But it also my experience that broadsides are not hot
                      sellers. I have talked to several dealers/buyers who
                      are not even interested in looking at something so
                      undesirable as broadsides.

                      My further impression is that although relatively
                      inexpensive, they sell largely as objects that are
                      parasitical to the well-known, famous or dead, and do
                      not do as well as objects sought after for their own
                      intrinsic value.

                      So, I am not sure what you mean by support. Do you
                      mean a mutual self help effort, or do you mean you
                      have some actual way to sell broadsides?

                      I can let you know if I have any success at Pyramid
                      Atlantic with them. My understanding of PA is that it
                      largely populated with folks looking for $25 Xmas
                      gifts. So who knows?

                      But thank you, thank you for raising the issue.

                      Michael Andrews
                      Bombshelter Press

                      http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/mFXtlB/TM

                      Check out the new Yahoo! Front Page.
                      www.yahoo.com
                    • Chip Schilling
                      Message 10 of 15 , Nov 10, 2004
                        It is great to hear that people are excited about broadsides and interested
                        in supporting them.

                        Please check out my site for more broadside options.
                        www.indulgencepress.com

                        All the best,
                        Chip
                        --

                        Chip Schilling
                        Indulgence Press

                        On 11/9/04 9:54 AM, "mamiehale@..." <mamiehale@...> wrote:

                        > I've decided to support the art of letterpress printers this Christmas. I'd
                        > like to give broadsides to all on my gift list. Could printers who have
                        > broadsides available for sale (especially those who don't readily show up on
                        > internet
                        > searches) either contact me, or let the entire list know? Maybe we can all
                        > support each other.
                        >
                        > Thanks,
                        > Mamie Hale

                        > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                        >
                        > <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129a0r3ks/M=281955.5530326.6602771.3001176/D=grou
                        > ps/S=1706389862:HM/EXP=1100102512/A=2343726/R=0/SIG=12it1tu7c/*http://clk.atdm
                        > t.com/VON/go/yhxxxvon01900091von/direct/01/&time=1100016112509070> Get
                        > unlimited calls to U.S./Canada
                        > <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129a0r3ks/M=281955.5530326.6602771.3001176/D=grou
                        > ps/S=1706389862:HM/EXP=1100102512/A=2343726/R=1/SIG=12it1tu7c/*http://clk.atdm
                        > t.com/VON/go/yhxxxvon01900091von/direct/01/&time=1100016112509070>

                        > *
                        > *
                        > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

                      • champecarter
                        Message 11 of 15 , Nov 10, 2004
                          You might like to know that the Center for Book Arts in NY has a wonderful series to
                          support poets. They have 6 readings a year, with 2 poets featured each time. Leading
                          up to the reading, letterpress printers are approached to print one broadside of a
                          featured poet. The printer chooses the poem, and designs and prints the broadside.
                          The poet signs the edition. It's done pro bono to support the Center. Then, the CBA
                          sells the broadsides for very reasonable prices. At the end of the year, they are all
                          collected in a portfolio, and the printer gets one complete set. The whole porfolio is
                          also available for sale to the public, I believe. I know about it since I have printed two
                          broadsides for them in the last year.

                          http://www.centerforbookarts.org/

                          Contact them for details.
                          info@...

                          Regards,
                          Champe Smith

                          --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, mamiehale@a... wrote:

                          > I've decided to support the art of letterpress printers this Christmas. I'd
                          > like to give broadsides to all on my gift list. Could printers who have
                          > broadsides available for sale (especially those who don't readily show up on
                          internet
                          > searches) either contact me, or let the entire list know? Maybe we can all
                          > support each other.
                          >
                          > Thanks,
                          > Mamie Hale

                        • Jenni Undis
                          Message 12 of 15 , Nov 10, 2004
                            There's a series of small, simple poetry broadsides available at:

                            http://www.culturalsociety.org/miniside.html

                            I can attest to their quality - printed at Lunalux!

                            Jennifer Undis
                            Lunalux Art & Design Workshop
                            1618 Harmon Place � Minneapolis, Minnesota 55403
                            ph. 612-373-0526 � fx. 612-673-0671

                          • Kathleen Whalen
                            Message 13 of 15 , Nov 10, 2004
                              I think you will find the photos and an accompanying article in an issue of
                              Matrix - there is a printed index to the first 21 copies available. Must be
                              in a university library near you!

                              Graham Moss
                              Incline Press
                              36 Bow Street