Re: [PPLetterpress] Looking for broadsides

  • Jessica Spring
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 9, 2004
      Mamie--
      Check out http://www.springtidepress.com/miniprospectus.pdf

      I sell the broadsides individually ($100 each) and they are printed
      letterpress on handmade paper. Saffron is sold out.
      Thanks for asking!
      Are you selling any??

      Jessica Spring
      SPRINGTIDE PRESS
      http://www.springtidepress.com
      253.627.8629

    • mamiehale@aol.com
      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 9, 2004
        I've decided to support the art of letterpress printers this Christmas. I'd
        like to give broadsides to all on my gift list. Could printers who have
        broadsides available for sale (especially those who don't readily show up on internet
        searches) either contact me, or let the entire list know? Maybe we can all
        support each other.

        Thanks,
        Mamie Hale

      • Eileen O Malley Callahan
        Message 3 of 15 , Nov 9, 2004
          Gerald, do you still have these French Resistence and letterpress
          photos on the website for the group? I couldn't find them (although
          they might be there - forgive me if I just can't see the obvious). I
          would dearly love to have copies for my class. As I recall, one of
          them showed a man riding a bicycle to power a letterpress, and the
          other had three people, one a woman, setting and proofing type. If
          you don't have those on line, do you know how I can get them?

          Thanks,.

          Eileen
          --

          Eileen Grace O Malley Callahan
          Office of Undergraduate and Interdisciplinary Studies
          Message 4 of 15 , Nov 9, 2004
            Hoo-ray, Hoo-ray, Hoo-ray ! Good for you. Perhaps you'll start a
            movement! Folks I know who are doing broadsides would dearly love to
            sell them, and I've passed you name on. Definately NOT on the
            Internet, but well worth the knowing of them.

            Cheers,

            Eileen

            I've decided to support the art of letterpress printers this Christmas. I'd
            like to give broadsides to all on my gift list. Could printers who have
            broadsides available for sale (especially those who don't readily
            show up on internet
            searches) either contact me, or let the entire list know? Maybe we can all
            support each other.

            Thanks,
            Mamie Hale

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
            <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129a0r3ks/M=281955.5530326.6602771.3001176/D=groups/S=1706389862:HM/EXP=1100102512/A=2343726/R=0/SIG=12it1tu7c/*http://clk.atdmt.com/VON/go/yhxxxvon01900091von/direct/01/&time=1100016112509070>

            Get unlimited calls to

            U.S./Canada

            Yahoo! Groups Links

            To visit your group on the web, go to:

            Message 5 of 15 , Nov 9, 2004
              Eileen

              I removed them from the Photos section some time ago. I still have
              them in a folder somewhere and will put them up again (probably
              tomorrow sometime), though I may have reduced the original resolution
              at some point. If not I can rescan. They were all colotypes and
              reproduced quite well. Scanning devices love colotype!!!

              The publication they came from is quite hard to find. I collect
              fugitive publications, outsider art sort of thing, and it was one of
              those I was quite fortunate enough to have acquired.

              Gerald

              --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Eileen O Malley Callahan
              <africaomalley@e...> wrote:
              > Gerald, do you still have these French Resistence and letterpress
              > photos on the website for the group? I couldn't find them (although
              > they might be there - forgive me if I just can't see the obvious). I
              > would dearly love to have copies for my class. As I recall, one of
              > them showed a man riding a bicycle to power a letterpress, and the
              > other had three people, one a woman, setting and proofing type. If
              > you don't have those on line, do you know how I can get them?
              >
              > Thanks,.
              >
              > Eileen
              > --
              >

              > Eileen Grace O Malley Callahan
              > Office of Undergraduate and Interdisciplinary Studies
              > 301 Campbell Hall
              > University of California, Berkeley
              > (510) 643-2173
              > callahan@u...
            • Eileen O Malley Callahan
              Message 6 of 15 , Nov 9, 2004
                Thanks a lot Gerald. I'd love to do something in class via the
                Vandercook with them. The original movie would be interesting to
                track down.

                I'll go to the site tomorrow for those photos - thanks again for
                taking the time to help.

                <africaomalley@e...> wrote:
                > Gerald, do you still have these French Resistence and letterpress
                > photos on the website for the group? I couldn't find them (although
                > they might be there - forgive me if I just can't see the obvious). I
                > would dearly love to have copies for my class. As I recall, one of
                > them showed a man riding a bicycle to power a letterpress, and the
                > other had three people, one a woman, setting and proofing type. If
                > you don't have those on line, do you know how I can get them?
                >
                > Thanks,.
                >
                > Eileen
                > --
                >

                > Eileen Grace O Malley Callahan
                > Office of Undergraduate and Interdisciplinary Studies
                > 301 Campbell Hall
                > University of California, Berkeley
                > (510) 643-2173
                > callahan@u...

                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129u1a208/M=294855.5468653.6549235.3001176/D=groups/S=1706389862:HM/EXP=1100105552/A=2376776/R=0/SIG=11ldm1jvc/*http://promotions.yahoo.com/ydomains2004/index.html>

                Message 7 of 15 , Nov 9, 2004
                  Yes, this is a wonderful idea. I started putting up broadsides on eBay a
                  while back as a way of showing and describing the work. There was far
                  more interest in them than I would have thought (fine press books, on
                  the other hand, are a bit too pricey to move well). The idea of selling
                  broadsides for holiday gift giving occured to me as well and I began to
                  load my scheduled listings up about a week ago.

                  BTW: There is a Files section here on site, where publishers can put up
                  their catalogs and announcements (in either text-based form or
                  downloadable PDF form). There is also the Photos section (for images),
                  and the Links section for placing URLs to web sites. Since these are a
                  free resource I've been more than a little surprised that more members
                  have not taken advantage of this.

                  There are many opportunities for non-traditional marketing that have
                  opened up on the web. Just putting up a web site is not necessarily the
                  only avenue. Nor the most effective. Fine press printer-publishers have
                  really not been pro-active enough in utilizing the possibilities
                  provided by the web. If you issue ISBN numbers with your publications,
                  for instance, and your title is listed on Amazon, you can piggy-back on
                  the listings with the I Have One For Sale feature. Lots of little niches
                  out there.

                  Gerald

                  Eileen O Malley Callahan wrote:

                  >Hoo-ray, Hoo-ray, Hoo-ray ! Good for you. Perhaps you'll start a
                  >movement! Folks I know who are doing broadsides would dearly love to
                  >sell them, and I've passed you name on. Definately NOT on the
                  >Internet, but well worth the knowing of them.
                  >
                  >Cheers,
                  >
                  >Eileen
                  >

                  >I've decided to support the art of letterpress printers this Christmas. I'd
                  >like to give broadsides to all on my gift list. Could printers who have
                  >broadsides available for sale (especially those who don't readily
                  >show up on internet
                  >searches) either contact me, or let the entire list know? Maybe we can all
                  >support each other.
                  >
                  >Thanks,
                  >Mamie Hale

                • Deep Wood Press
                  Message 8 of 15 , Nov 9, 2004
                    I've got a couple on my website listed below. They're in the books and
                    broadsides category.

                    Chad
                    _____________________________

                    Chad Pastotnik
                    Deep Wood Press 231.587.0506
                    www.deepwoodpress.com

                    Message 9 of 15 , Nov 9, 2004
                      Eileen

                      I've put the photos up in a folder within The Bieler Press folder.

                      The original publication is _Le Point_, "Imprimeries Clandestines,"
                      XXXI, Mars 1945. Photographies by Robert Doisnea.

                      Movie?

                      You won't have much luck printing these on the Vandercook.

                      Gerald

                      > Thanks a lot Gerald. I'd love to do something in class via the
                      > Vandercook with them. The original movie would be interesting to
                      > track down.
                      >
                      > I'll go to the site tomorrow for those photos - thanks again for
                      > taking the time to help.
                      >
                      > Eileen
                      >
                      > > Thanks,.
                      > >
                      > > Eileen
                      > > --
                      > >

                      > > Eileen Grace O Malley Callahan
                      > > Office of Undergraduate and Interdisciplinary Studies
                      > > 301 Campbell Hall
                      > > University of California, Berkeley
                      > > (510) 643-2173
                      > > callahan@u...
                    • ERIC WOODS
                      Message 10 of 15 , Nov 9, 2004
                        Check out www.firecrackerpress.com

                        Lots for sale there including many items that would
                        make great holiday gifts.

                        Eric Woods, Owner
                        The Firecracker Press

                        --- mamiehale@... wrote:

                        > I've decided to support the art of letterpress
                        > printers this Christmas. I'd
                        > like to give broadsides to all on my gift list.
                        > Could printers who have
                        > broadsides available for sale (especially those who
                        > don't readily show up on internet
                        > searches) either contact me, or let the entire list
                        > know? Maybe we can all
                        > support each other.
                        >
                        > Thanks,
                        > Mamie Hale

                        > removed]

                        Check out the new Yahoo! Front Page.
                        www.yahoo.com
                      • Michael Andrews
                        Message 11 of 15 , Nov 10, 2004
                          Hi Mamie

                          I have a number of broadsides at
                          http://www.beachnet.com/~apeiron/BroadsideTable.htm
                          at $50 to $75 apiece.

                          They are somewhat different than the usual broadside
                          in that they are a conflation of text and photographic
                          image. This was, in fact, a result of talking with
                          Gerald at one of our skull banging talks.

                          Although I considered the broadside an almost perfect
                          media for my work, in that they could be priced very
                          low in relation to photographic print market, and that
                          they are about the only media that is widely accepted
                          as being okay for combining text and image.

                          But it also my experience that broadsides are not hot
                          sellers. I have talked to several dealers/buyers who
                          are not even interested in looking at something so
                          undesirable as broadsides.

                          My further impression is that although relatively
                          inexpensive, they sell largely as objects that are
                          parasitical to the well-known, famous or dead, and do
                          not do as well as objects sought after for their own
                          intrinsic value.

                          So, I am not sure what you mean by support. Do you
                          mean a mutual self help effort, or do you mean you
                          have some actual way to sell broadsides?

                          I can let you know if I have any success at Pyramid
                          Atlantic with them. My understanding of PA is that it
                          largely populated with folks looking for $25 Xmas
                          gifts. So who knows?

                          But thank you, thank you for raising the issue.

                          Michael Andrews
                          Bombshelter Press

                          http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/mFXtlB/TM

                          Check out the new Yahoo! Front Page.
                          www.yahoo.com
                        • Chip Schilling
                          Message 12 of 15 , Nov 10, 2004
                            It is great to hear that people are excited about broadsides and interested
                            in supporting them.

                            Please check out my site for more broadside options.
                            www.indulgencepress.com

                            All the best,
                            Chip
                            --

                            Chip Schilling
                            Indulgence Press

                            On 11/9/04 9:54 AM, "mamiehale@..." <mamiehale@...> wrote:

                            > I've decided to support the art of letterpress printers this Christmas. I'd
                            > like to give broadsides to all on my gift list. Could printers who have
                            > broadsides available for sale (especially those who don't readily show up on
                            > internet
                            > searches) either contact me, or let the entire list know? Maybe we can all
                            > support each other.
                            >
                            > Thanks,
                            > Mamie Hale

                            > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                            >
                            > <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129a0r3ks/M=281955.5530326.6602771.3001176/D=grou
                            > ps/S=1706389862:HM/EXP=1100102512/A=2343726/R=0/SIG=12it1tu7c/*http://clk.atdm
                            > t.com/VON/go/yhxxxvon01900091von/direct/01/&time=1100016112509070> Get
                            > unlimited calls to U.S./Canada
                            > <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129a0r3ks/M=281955.5530326.6602771.3001176/D=grou
                            > ps/S=1706389862:HM/EXP=1100102512/A=2343726/R=1/SIG=12it1tu7c/*http://clk.atdm
                            > t.com/VON/go/yhxxxvon01900091von/direct/01/&time=1100016112509070>

                            > *
                            > *
                            > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

                          • champecarter
                            Message 13 of 15 , Nov 10, 2004
                              You might like to know that the Center for Book Arts in NY has a wonderful series to
                              support poets. They have 6 readings a year, with 2 poets featured each time. Leading
                              up to the reading, letterpress printers are approached to print one broadside of a
                              featured poet. The printer chooses the poem, and designs and prints the broadside.
                              The poet signs the edition. It's done pro bono to support the Center. Then, the CBA
                              sells the broadsides for very reasonable prices. At the end of the year, they are all
                              collected in a portfolio, and the printer gets one complete set. The whole porfolio is
                              also available for sale to the public, I believe. I know about it since I have printed two
                              broadsides for them in the last year.

                              http://www.centerforbookarts.org/

                              Contact them for details.
                              info@...

                              Regards,
                              Champe Smith

                              --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, mamiehale@a... wrote:

                              > I've decided to support the art of letterpress printers this Christmas. I'd
                              > like to give broadsides to all on my gift list. Could printers who have
                              > broadsides available for sale (especially those who don't readily show up on
                              internet
                              > searches) either contact me, or let the entire list know? Maybe we can all
                              > support each other.
                              >
                              > Thanks,
                              > Mamie Hale

                            • Jenni Undis
                              Message 14 of 15 , Nov 10, 2004
                                There's a series of small, simple poetry broadsides available at:

                                http://www.culturalsociety.org/miniside.html

                                I can attest to their quality - printed at Lunalux!

                                Jennifer Undis
                                Lunalux Art & Design Workshop
                                1618 Harmon Place � Minneapolis, Minnesota 55403
                                ph. 612-373-0526 � fx. 612-673-0671

                              • Kathleen Whalen
                                Message 15 of 15 , Nov 10, 2004
                                  I think you will find the photos and an accompanying article in an issue of
                                  Matrix - there is a printed index to the first 21 copies available. Must be
                                  in a university library near you!

                                  Graham Moss
                                  Incline Press
                                  36 Bow Street