Re: another possible factor in exposing plates

  • Marnie Powers
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 11, 2002

      I'm so glad that I joined this list. I've learned so much already! Your
      referrals have been extraordinarilly helpful, and the discussion is to
      the point and interesting.

      Best,
      Marnie

      To: PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
      From: "bielerpr" <bieler@...>
      Date sent: Wed, 09 Jan 2002 23:22:58 -0000
      Subject: [PPLetterpress] Re: another possible factor in exposing plates
      Send reply to: PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com

      Marnie Powers wrote:

      > I'm willing to explain the stochastic screen to the best of my ability.
      > As I understand it, it is not a random screen. Under a loupe it looks
      > very similar to the grain of photographic film and paper. The screen
      > applies a spattered pattern to the image, the dots occurring more
      > frequently in dark areas than in the light areas. In terms of fooling the
      > eye into thinking it's seeing grayscale, stochastic is the most effective
      > screen currently availabe. Software is expensive, and I have my
      > service bureau do it. It's not used for offset prepress work however, so
      > finding a provider can be a little challenging.

      Dear Marnie

      Have you tried ISIS Icefields (grayscale software, renders
      stochastic, available as a plug-in for Photoshop)? Heard great
      things, especially for inkjet.

      http://www.isisimaging.com

      PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com

      To log on to the groupsite (confirmed Yahoo ID required), go to
      http://groups.yahoogroups.com/group/PPLetterpress
      [copious reference sources can be found onsite in Bookmarks (URLs),
      Database (tables), Files (documents), and Messages (archives)]

      Encountering problems? send an email to
      PPLetterpress-owner@yahoogroups.com

      To unsubscribe, send an email to

      Marnie Powers-Torrey