Historical Digital Type Libraries

    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 6, 2004
      There have been some recent changes in the major players connected to digital revivals of the historical type libraries:

      Ludlow - LudlowUK seems to have bit the dust (the website domain is for sale)? Red Rooster carries some of the Ludlow collection, and they seem to still be in operation. (Neither of these firms seem to have/have had any legal connection to the old Ludlow.)

      Monotype - AgfaMonotype (which represented the libraries of Monotype and Compugraphic, and several others) is now Monotype Imaging. Lanston, however, appears to still have its web presence going, though they have not issued a font since the early 90s.

      Linotype - Linotype Library seems to be the most active and progressive of the foundries, especially since the break from Linotype-Hell several years ago.

      Neufville - Neufville represents the holdings of many of the major European foundries, though their digital production never was strong and has slacked off in recent years.

      Berthold - Berthold maintains is collection but their offerings are all based on the photocomp era, not the earlier metal types.

      And, of course, the digital output of good old ATF-Kingsley, disappeared quietly by the early 90s. ITC, the major player in the pre-digitral years, resisted the transition to digital far too long, recovered ground quickly and has done some interesting revivals in years past, specifically the ITC Bodoni and ITC Founder's Caslon.

      Of all of these though, despite their survival instincts/success or lack of, the only serious consideration for exacting revival came from Lanston and the previous Monotype Typography. Serious revivals seem more now to be coming from foundries that originated and became well established in the digital era.

      URLs for foundries listed are:

      http://www.lanstontype.com
      http://www.linotype.com/
      http://www.neufville.com/uk/start_uk.htm
      http://www.studio.agfamonotype.com/
      http://www.bertholdtypes.com/home.html
      http://www.itcfonts.com/

      For the last couple of years I have been loading URLs to various foundries that provide historical revivals in the Digital Type Foundries folder here on site (Links section). I haven't been following it all that closely much anymore so if members know of other foundries that should be listed, please feel free to add them.

      Gerald
    • Mats Broberg
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 7, 2004
        Dear listmembers,

        I'm going through my shelfs and have found some duplicate spare parts
        etc. that I don't need anymore.

        Should anyone be interested, pls contact me off-list for a price
        discussion.

        - 1 steel chase

        - 2 gripper arms

        - 1 suction bar

        - 2 gauges (the model where a thin sheet-metal strip moves down through
        the gauge when the platen is closed, due to a small lever actuated by
        the platen).

        - 1 nickel gauge

        - 1 brass gauge

        - 2 ball bearings for rollers

        - 1 spare parts catalog for 10 x 15 Windmill (photocopy, Wire-O bound)

        - 1 spare parts catalog for 13 x 18 Windmill (photocopy, Wire-O bound)

        I also have two Bunting bases (6 1/8 x 9 1/8") for sale.

        They were milled to 0.890" for European typeheight (0.928") and need to
        be milled down to 0.881" if you intend to use 0.037" photopolymer plates
        & US typeheight (0.918").

        Sincerely,
        Mats Broberg
      • Vinayaga Prabhu
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 8, 2004
          Dear Sir,
          I have a Heidelberg PLaten 10x15 size.Please
          let me know the prices for the following parts.Please
          do let us know the condition of the spare parts.And
          also pictres of those.The parts for price details are
          as follows:-

          - 2 gripper arms

          - 1 suction bar

          - 2 gauges (the model where a thin sheet-metal strip
          moves down through the gauge when the platen is
          closed, due to a small lever actuated by
          the platen).

          - 1 nickel gauge

          - 1 brass gauge

          Please let me know the mode of payment and the
          currency you need.Also do give your contact number or
          mobile.
          T H A N K I N G Y O U

          Sincerely
          R.Prabhu

        • Ken Botnick
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 8, 2004
            On 11/8/04 12:50 PM, "Vinayaga Prabhu" <golden_litho@...> wrote:

            Dear Vinayaga Prabhu,

            Where are you located in India? I have seen your message to the letterpress
            list and am curious because I am traveling to India this December/January
            and would like to meet other printers, if possible.

            Yours,

            -- Kenneth Botnick
            Associate Professor
            Washington University
            telephone: 314.935.8402x1 (office)
            314.367.3497
          • Alan Brignull
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 10, 2004
              This is not letterpress, but I'm sure a lot of you use Photoshop on Macs and
              I'd like to save someone the week of bewilderment I've just had.

              At work I use Photoshop (v7, running on OS 10.3.1) but on Monday morning it
              refused to load. It started normally but quit unexpectedly before finishing.
              I suspected one of my colleagues or a student of messing about with the
              computer and corrupting something, so I tried reinstalling Photoshop but
              that made no difference. Everyone denied installing any new software on it
              and the techie people in the department were mystified. I went all through
              the Adobe troubleshooting list and was even considering the last resort of
              reformatting the hard disk but just in time I got a lead from a friend which
              led me to the cause.

              The previous weekend our clocks had gone back onto GMT for the winter. OSX
              had correctly adjusted the hour, but had also changed my 'nearest city' from
              London to Cardiff. Photoshop didn't like being in Cardiff and stopped
              working. As soon as I corrected the location everything went back to normal.
              Weird, eh?

              Alan