Re: Type & Politics

    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 17, 2004
      If the designer is working for a client (in this case, the Republican
      Party) I suspect that the right to choose is somewhat out of his/her
      hands. I can well imagine this is just one of several designs that
      were submitted to a committee and the design that was chosen probably
      had to be reworked a bit to satisfy those concerned with the final
      decision.

      I did a stint as a book production manager and it was not uncommon for
      a designer to submit a dozen different designs to a committee for a
      project. There was most likely only one of the designs that the
      designer felt was his/her "own" but it was generally wise not to fight
      too hard for it or he/she might risk losing the job.

      It's not a matter of the designer's "right" to choose, the thread
      query questioned the designer's typographic knowledge, or rather,
      perhaps the lack thereof. It is not expected that the "general public"
      understand the nuts and bolts of typography but one might hope more
      from a professional graphic designer.

      Gerald

      > The comments about the use of the apostrophe or acute do not
      recognize the RIGHT of the designer to choose. In art the artist is
      the final authority on his work. A critic can make comments about what
      is wrong or right about the work. But, in the end all the critic is
      able to say is how he would have done it if he had done the piece. The
      real jury on any work is public opinion. We may be able to technically
      critique a work as to what is incorrect. It is still the general
      public who decides the effectiveness of the work by how they perceive
      the statement.