Books on Craft

    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 9, 2004
      From what I have been able to find, the two serious books (in recent times) on the philosophy of craft are generally acknowledged to be David Pye's _The Nature and Art of Workmanship_, Herbert Press, 1968, and Soetsu Yanagi's _The Unknown
      Craftsman_, Kodansha International Press, 1972. I recently came across another book of interest, _The Culture of Craft_, Manchester University Press, 1997, edited by Peter Dormer. While certainly not as in depth or focused, it does provide a wide spectrum of views and opinions (contributions from ten authors), and is interest for the more recent take on the idea of craft.

      This is apparently out-of-print but "new" copies can still be had from various distributors on Amazon's Marketplace or through abe.com.

      Gerald Lange
    • Kathleen Whalen
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 10, 2004
        And you can pick up a copy over the counter at the Whitworth Gallery in
        Manchester, England. An interesting and generally thought-provoking read
        which I found useful in defining what we do, in terms that our customers
        might find understandable in the general craft context, which is where I'd
        put our work.

        Graham Moss
        Incline Press
        36 Bow Street