Re: [PPLetterpress] Re: Adjustments to Font Metrics

  • Ph. D.
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 7, 2004
      Thank you for the advice, Gerald. That's pretty much the way
      I've been going. I've done almost all the capital letters, then I
      print them out in words on a 1200 dpi laser printer. I figured
      that once I get the entire font the way I want it on the laser
      output, then I can thin it a bit and use it for making PP plates.
      I have Fontographer 4.1.

      I hope to use it for a "house face." Having matrices cut for it
      that I can use on my Thompson caster is a very long range
      goal. For the foreseeable future, it'll have to be PP plates.

      Thanks,
      Ph. D.

      ----- Originala Mesagxo -----
      De: "Gerald Lange" <bieler@...>

      > Ph. D.
      >
      > Probably the most appropriate way to proceed is to digitize the font at
      the weight that seems correct to you, testing this as you go on a
      high-resolution laser printer (1200dpi) or preferably, an image setter
      (2400dpi).

      > When you have completed the font you can easily create instances of it
      with Fontographer or FontLab in various weights (thicker or thinner). These
      instances can serve as a form of cheap and dirty way to size optimize a
      font. You can't reduce or expand the weight by much though as the character
      outline points will become disturbed.

      > There is no easy answer to the "how much" question but if the ultimate
      goal is to use digitization for creating a metal face, the photopolymer
      process will provide a fairly useful testing ground. You should be able to
      determine how much expansion will occur as a result of ink gain and
      impression and adjust accordingly.

      > FontLab also allows for interpolation (increasing or decreasing weight and
      other glyph attributes) during the post-creation process through its
      Transformation feature. I haven't tried it for this purpose but from what I
      have seen it might be worth while exploring.

      http://bielerpress.blogspot.com/