Re: Adjustments to Font Metrics

    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 6, 2004
      Ph. D.

      Probably the most appropriate way to proceed is to digitize the font at the weight that seems correct to you, testing this as you go on a high-resolution laser printer (1200dpi) or preferably, an image setter (2400dpi).

      When you have completed the font you can easily create instances of it with Fontographer or FontLab in various weights (thicker or thinner). These instances can serve as a form of cheap and dirty way to size optimize a font. You can't reduce or expand the weight by much though as the character outline points will become disturbed.

      There is no easy answer to the "how much" question but if the ultimate goal is to use digitization for creating a metal face, the photopolymer process will provide a fairly useful testing ground. You should be able to determine how much expansion will occur as a result of ink gain and impression and adjust accordingly.

      FontLab also allows for interpolation (increasing or decreasing weight and other glyph attributes) during the post-creation process through its Transformation feature. I haven't tried it for this purpose but from what I have seen it might be worth while exploring.

      Per you interest, I have some material pertaining to this at http://bielerpress.blogspot.com/

      Good luck with it

      Gerald

      > I'm digitizing a font. I recall reading that digital fonts need
      > to be thinned down a bit to allow for ink spread when the
      > font is made into a photopolymer plate. I am assuming the
      > same is true if I have matrices cut for casting regular metal
      > type.
      >
      > My question is, how much should I thin the characters?
      >
      > Thanks,
      > Ph. D.
    • Ph. D.
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 7, 2004
        Thank you for the advice, Gerald. That's pretty much the way
        I've been going. I've done almost all the capital letters, then I
        print them out in words on a 1200 dpi laser printer. I figured
        that once I get the entire font the way I want it on the laser
        output, then I can thin it a bit and use it for making PP plates.
        I have Fontographer 4.1.

        I hope to use it for a "house face." Having matrices cut for it
        that I can use on my Thompson caster is a very long range
        goal. For the foreseeable future, it'll have to be PP plates.

        Thanks,
        Ph. D.

        ----- Originala Mesagxo -----
        De: "Gerald Lange" <bieler@...>