Re: [PPLetterpress] Windmill Registration Problem

  • RoyVM@aol.com
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 4, 2004
      Check the rubber inside the gripper, be sure its clean. If it has been
      replaced
      with vinyl tape (electrical or bookbinding) which can be and is often done,
      make sure it is
      not sticky.

      Make sure the gripper is properly holding the stock. Bring a sheet into the
      gripper,
      stop it as the gripper enters the press and pull on each side of the sheet to
      make
      sure the bite is even and adequate. . The gripper pressure can also be
      adjusted on each
      individual arm.

      If you are not using register pins on the guides, I suggest you do. The
      guides with
      the flat lip do not always catch the sheet when it is dropped.

      Decurl the stock. If the curl is up it can fall over the guide specially at
      the tail of the
      sheet. Use a longer pin at the rear of the sheet if possible. It also might
      be necessary
      to slightly bend the register pins open so the sheet will not override them.

      Check the bite on each gripper arm. Bring a sheet up with the suckers until
      the gripper
      closes on it. I then draw a line along the gripper edge. Do it to each arm.
      If the bite is
      considerably different between arms, it may be necessary to force them into
      alignment.
      I would not attempt this yourself, but a Heidleberg serviceman with windmill
      experience
      usually has a long bar to accomplish this.

      You may be running the press too slow for the momentem of the sheet to reach
      the
      sheet stop. I have found also that is is often necessary to move the stack
      side guide
      about 1/8" to 1/4" further to the right than the adjustment for the brass
      guide stop.

      I have also found that too much speed with certain types of stock, will cause
      the stock
      to bounce back from the front guide, after it is released.

      I currently have three 10 x 15 windmills and they are all different. No two
      run exactly the
      same.

      Good luck,

      Royvm

    • Fritz Klinke
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 4, 2004
        The register pins are called lay pins or guides, and come in 5 different
        lengths. They are still made by Heidelberg and we stock them.

        Fritz