Re: [PPLetterpress] Windmill Registration Problem

  • Keith Berger
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 4, 2004
      Wow, you all made for a good Monday!!! Although I didn't ink up, I did
      watch the card in slow-mo and I did notice the tail end of the card was
      going over top of the [ fly wheel side] pin. So I put a longer pin in
      the guide and it looks to be better. Tomorrow I will ink up and see if
      it PRINTS better, that will be the real test.

      I will keep you posted.

      Thank You!!!!

      Keith

      On Oct 4, 2004, at 3:03 PM, Printer wrote:

      > Every-other-sheet misregistration is a common scenario.  When I can't
      > fix something by adjusting this or that, I go back to Square One, so
      > to speak, by running a sheet through in slow motion.  That is, I turn
      > on the press, and have the sucker bar pick up a sheet and let the
      > gripper bar grab it.  Stop the press right at the point where the
      > gripper bar has grabbed the sheet, but before it has started to swing
      > in to the platen.  Now shut off the motor and let the flywheel stop
      > spinning.  Now you can open the hatch on the flywheel's safety cover,
      > engage the clutch, and start turning the press by hand.  Watch the
      > sheet carefully as it is being brought in to the side guides, and look
      > for places where the sheet is getting hung up or misaligned.  What I
      > would look for is:
      > Is the sheet too close to/too far from the bottom guides?
      > Is one end of the sheet slipping off the bottom guide?
      > Are the bottom guides aligned well with the bottom of the platen?
      > Does the front of the sheet get pulled against the front guide before
      > the gripper releases it, or is it released just a little in front of
      > that guide?
      > Does each gripper arm grab the same amount of paper, or is there a
      > big difference?  This would indicate that one arm is way out of
      > alignment.
      >
      > Because you are getting crookedness, I would suspect that one end of
      > the sheet isn't landing on the side guide, and maybe is slipping
      > between the guide and the platen.  There is a little widget that
      > slides onto the track under the bottom edge of the platen that is made
      > for this kind of situation- it keeps the sheet a little off the platen
      > until the side guides are up and in position.  Alternatively, you can
      > cut a little triangle flap in the tympan and curl the point up a bit,
      > at the end where the sheet is slipping down.  This pushes it off the
      > platen just enough to catch the side guide.
      >
      > Good luck with this.  These things can be really frustrating and each
      > windmill has it's peculiarities, in my experience.  But you can figure
      > out a lot when you turn it by hand and look at what is going on
      > carefully.  It may not be the gripper arms causing your problem, in
      > the end.  Cast out all preconceptions and put your trust in empirical
      > observation!!  ;^)
      >
      > Joel
      >
      > Joel Benson
      > Dependable Letterpress
      > San Francisco
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      > <81804_0704_b_300250a.gif>
      > <l.gif>

      > Service.

      Leaders in yesterday's technology.
      ***
      The Graphic Touch Letterpress & Binding Company
      Salem, Ohio
      800-433-1288
    • RoyVM@aol.com
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 4, 2004
        Check the rubber inside the gripper, be sure its clean. If it has been
        replaced
        with vinyl tape (electrical or bookbinding) which can be and is often done,
        make sure it is
        not sticky.

        Make sure the gripper is properly holding the stock. Bring a sheet into the
        gripper,
        stop it as the gripper enters the press and pull on each side of the sheet to
        make
        sure the bite is even and adequate. . The gripper pressure can also be
        adjusted on each
        individual arm.

        If you are not using register pins on the guides, I suggest you do. The
        guides with
        the flat lip do not always catch the sheet when it is dropped.

        Decurl the stock. If the curl is up it can fall over the guide specially at
        the tail of the
        sheet. Use a longer pin at the rear of the sheet if possible. It also might
        be necessary
        to slightly bend the register pins open so the sheet will not override them.

        Check the bite on each gripper arm. Bring a sheet up with the suckers until
        the gripper
        closes on it. I then draw a line along the gripper edge. Do it to each arm.
        If the bite is
        considerably different between arms, it may be necessary to force them into
        alignment.
        I would not attempt this yourself, but a Heidleberg serviceman with windmill
        experience
        usually has a long bar to accomplish this.

        You may be running the press too slow for the momentem of the sheet to reach
        the
        sheet stop. I have found also that is is often necessary to move the stack
        side guide
        about 1/8" to 1/4" further to the right than the adjustment for the brass
        guide stop.

        I have also found that too much speed with certain types of stock, will cause
        the stock
        to bounce back from the front guide, after it is released.

        I currently have three 10 x 15 windmills and they are all different. No two
        run exactly the
        same.

        Good luck,

        Royvm

      • Fritz Klinke
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 4, 2004
          The register pins are called lay pins or guides, and come in 5 different
          lengths. They are still made by Heidelberg and we stock them.

          Fritz