Re: another possible factor in exposing plates

  • bielerpr
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 9, 2002
      Marnie Powers wrote:

      > I'm willing to explain the stochastic screen to the best of my ability.
      > As I understand it, it is not a random screen. Under a loupe it looks
      > very similar to the grain of photographic film and paper. The screen
      > applies a spattered pattern to the image, the dots occurring more
      > frequently in dark areas than in the light areas. In terms of fooling the
      > eye into thinking it's seeing grayscale, stochastic is the most effective
      > screen currently availabe. Software is expensive, and I have my
      > service bureau do it. It's not used for offset prepress work however, so
      > finding a provider can be a little challenging.

      Dear Marnie

      Have you tried ISIS Icefields (grayscale software, renders
      stochastic, available as a plug-in for Photoshop)? Heard great
      things, especially for inkjet.

      http://www.isisimaging.com

      Gerald
    • Mark Attwood
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 10, 2002
        Marnie,

        It was a few years ago that I did the research into the different
        wavelengths, and it seems I haven't filed it. The suppliers of the plates
        will be able to tell you the best wavelength to expose their plates, and the
        suppliers of the bulbs will give you detailed info on the output wavelength
        of the lamp. If I remember correctly there was only a small overlap at one
        end of the spectrum, and this is why the metal halide will work, but only
        with such a long exposure.

        let me know what you find out,

        Regards,
        Mark.

        Mark Attwood

        The Artists' Press
        Box 623
        Newtown
        2113
        South Africa

        Tel. +27 11 836 5474
        fax. +27 11 836 6858
        mark@...

        ----------
        >From: "Marnie Powers" <mpowers@...>
        >To: PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject: [PPLetterpress] another possible factor in exposing plates
        >Date: Wed, Jan 9, 2002, 5:56 pm
        >

        > Mark,
        >
        > Thanks much for the information. Do you have any details on the
        > specific UV frequency of metal halide verses flourescent, and the ideal
        > frequency for exposing photopolymer plates? If so, I'd be interested in
        > seeing it.
        >
        > Best,
        >
        > Marnie
        > Marnie Powers-Torrey
        > Studio Manager
        > Book Arts Program
        > J.Willard Marriott Library
        > (801)585-9191

        > PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
        >
        > To log on to the groupsite (confirmed Yahoo ID required), go to
        > http://groups.yahoogroups.com/group/PPLetterpress
        > [copious reference sources can be found onsite in Bookmarks (URLs),
        > Database (tables), Files (documents), and Messages (archives)]
        >
        > Encountering problems? send an email to
        > PPLetterpress-owner@yahoogroups.com
        >
        > To unsubscribe, send an email to

      • Marnie Powers
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 11, 2002

          I'm so glad that I joined this list. I've learned so much already! Your
          referrals have been extraordinarilly helpful, and the discussion is to
          the point and interesting.

          Best,
          Marnie

          To: PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com