P22 is at it again

    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 1, 2004
      Recent from P22 is A M Cassandra's two-color initial set Bifur

      http://www.p22.com/ihof/bifurset.html

      Cassandra was one of the great twentieth-century typographers (and
      completely out of the Anglo-American sphere - which I am more and more
      convinced is a very good thing). His Peignot was one of my favs but I
      never could convince a client to use it...

      Gerald
    • Keith Berger
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 3, 2004
        Hello All, I have been trying to run a 3" x 5" card with the brass
        bottom guides. The problem seems to be that the two gripper arms are
        out of registration with each other. The first arm is allowing the
        sheet to be straight but the second arm is making the sheet crooked,
        with the gripper side of the sheet in place but the left side going
        about an 1/8" down hill. It seems to alternate with every other sheet
        in register, the first sheet straight the second sheet crooked by an
        1/8 then a straight sheet then another crooked by an 1/8 and so on. Now
        I am pretty new to the windmill so I may be missing something. Any
        ideas? Help will be greatly appreciated.

        Thank you,
        Keith

        Leaders in yesterday's technology.
        ***
        The Graphic Touch Letterpress & Binding Company
        Salem, Ohio
        800-433-1288

      • arizonaprinter@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 3, 2004
          Does the press have 1 new bar and 1 old gripper bar on it. we had this
          problem years ago and after a major problem we only replaced the bent
          gripper and every other sheet was out of register. The other solution is to
          take the bar that is not registering off and only run 1 bar if the job is
          time criticle.

          From: Keith Berger <tradebind@...>
          Date: Sun, 3 Oct 2004 13:58:39 -0400
          To: PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
          Subject: [PPLetterpress] Windmill Registration Problem

[...]

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ADVERTISEMENT

          Yahoo! Groups Links
          To visit your group on the web, go to:

          <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

        • Mats Broberg
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 4, 2004
            Keith,

            I assume you have moved small contraption in the gripper arms center to
            the "Printing with guides" position? And moved the small guide to the
            left of the feeding table ("Printing with brass guides" / "Printing with
            chromed guides") to the left position? As well as having moved the left
            alignment of the feeding board to the very left?

            The texts on the small signs may not be identical to what I write above
            (since I translate these from Swedish) but I would check these three
            things.

            Best regards,
            Mats

[...]

            <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129mrqeh6/M=298184.5285298.6392945.3001176/
            D=groups/S=1706389862:HM/EXP=1096938040/A=2368837/R=0/SIG=11tdf3rom/*htt
            p://www.netflix.com/Default?mqso=60185370&partid=5285298> click here

            <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=298184.5285298.6392945.3001176/D=group
            s/S=:HM/A=2368837/rand=358275504>

            _____

            Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Keith Berger
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 4, 2004
              Mats, yes, I do believe I have made all necessary changes over to
              guides. I did call a local retired Heidelberg repair man who recited a
              long list of things it could be. It is interesting that each arm seems
              to register to itself, even the crooked one seems to be crooked the
              same amount each time. Maybe the gripper arms are not releasing the
              sheet. I have ran stuff without guides, which seemed to stay in pretty
              good register, but I think that too could be better. After all, it IS a
              Heidelberg!

              I will keep everybody updated.

              Thank you!!!!
              Keith

            • mike.jacobs
              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 4, 2004
                Keith,
                If I am reading your message correctly the card is sloping when in the
                printing position and the press is running on 'register'.
                If this is so I can only suggest that the gripper arm is not fully releasing
                the card so that it can drop into the register guides. Assuming you have
                make ALL the changes to run on register, then check the gripper arm to see
                if there is something preventing release.
                If I have misunderstood your problem, my apologies.
                Mike at the Cockleshell Press, England
              • Printer
                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 4, 2004
                  Every-other-sheet misregistration is a common scenario. When I can't fix something by adjusting this or that, I go back to Square One, so to speak, by running a sheet through in slow motion. That is, I turn on the press, and have the sucker bar pick up a sheet and let the gripper bar grab it. Stop the press right at the point where the gripper bar has grabbed the sheet, but before it has started to swing in to the platen. Now shut off the motor and let the flywheel stop spinning. Now you can open the hatch on the flywheel's safety cover, engage the clutch, and start turning the press by hand. Watch the sheet carefully as it is being brought in to the side guides, and look for places where the sheet is getting hung up or misaligned. What I would look for is:
                  Is the sheet too close to/too far from the bottom guides?
                  Is one end of the sheet slipping off the bottom guide?
                  Are the bottom guides aligned well with the bottom of the platen?
                  Does the front of the sheet get pulled against the front guide before the gripper releases it, or is it released just a little in front of that guide?
                  Does each gripper arm grab the same amount of paper, or is there a big difference? This would indicate that one arm is way out of alignment.

                  Because you are getting crookedness, I would suspect that one end of the sheet isn't landing on the side guide, and maybe is slipping between the guide and the platen. There is a little widget that slides onto the track under the bottom edge of the platen that is made for this kind of situation- it keeps the sheet a little off the platen until the side guides are up and in position. Alternatively, you can cut a little triangle flap in the tympan and curl the point up a bit, at the end where the sheet is slipping down. This pushes it off the platen just enough to catch the side guide.

                  Good luck with this. These things can be really frustrating and each windmill has it's peculiarities, in my experience. But you can figure out a lot when you turn it by hand and look at what is going on carefully. It may not be the gripper arms causing your problem, in the end. Cast out all preconceptions and put your trust in empirical observation!! ;^)

                  Joel

                  Joel Benson
                  Dependable Letterpress
                  San Francisco
                • almoprint
                  Message 8 of 11 , Oct 4, 2004
                    I had similar problem a while back. One of the gripper bars had a
                    tiny spot of adhesive on it. I assume it was a remnant of a die
                    cutting job. After cleaning it off the register problem went away.
                    The hair I pulled out while trying to solve it, has not however, come
                    back! Hope this helps you.

                    Mike
                  • Keith Berger
                    Message 9 of 11 , Oct 4, 2004
                      Wow, you all made for a good Monday!!! Although I didn't ink up, I did
                      watch the card in slow-mo and I did notice the tail end of the card was
                      going over top of the [ fly wheel side] pin. So I put a longer pin in
                      the guide and it looks to be better. Tomorrow I will ink up and see if
                      it PRINTS better, that will be the real test.

                      I will keep you posted.

                      Thank You!!!!

                      Keith

                    • RoyVM@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 11 , Oct 4, 2004
                        Check the rubber inside the gripper, be sure its clean. If it has been
                        replaced
                        with vinyl tape (electrical or bookbinding) which can be and is often done,
                        make sure it is
                        not sticky.

                        Make sure the gripper is properly holding the stock. Bring a sheet into the
                        gripper,
                        stop it as the gripper enters the press and pull on each side of the sheet to
                        make
                        sure the bite is even and adequate. . The gripper pressure can also be
                        adjusted on each
                        individual arm.

                        If you are not using register pins on the guides, I suggest you do. The
                        guides with
                        the flat lip do not always catch the sheet when it is dropped.

                        Decurl the stock. If the curl is up it can fall over the guide specially at
                        the tail of the
                        sheet. Use a longer pin at the rear of the sheet if possible. It also might
                        be necessary
                        to slightly bend the register pins open so the sheet will not override them.

                        Check the bite on each gripper arm. Bring a sheet up with the suckers until
                        the gripper
                        closes on it. I then draw a line along the gripper edge. Do it to each arm.
                        If the bite is
                        considerably different between arms, it may be necessary to force them into
                        alignment.
                        I would not attempt this yourself, but a Heidleberg serviceman with windmill
                        experience
                        usually has a long bar to accomplish this.

                        You may be running the press too slow for the momentem of the sheet to reach
                        the
                        sheet stop. I have found also that is is often necessary to move the stack
                        side guide
                        about 1/8" to 1/4" further to the right than the adjustment for the brass
                        guide stop.

                        I have also found that too much speed with certain types of stock, will cause
                        the stock
                        to bounce back from the front guide, after it is released.

                        I currently have three 10 x 15 windmills and they are all different. No two
                        run exactly the
                        same.

                        Good luck,

                        Royvm

                      • Fritz Klinke
                        Message 11 of 11 , Oct 4, 2004
                          The register pins are called lay pins or guides, and come in 5 different
                          lengths. They are still made by Heidelberg and we stock them.

                          Fritz