Seeking advice for purchasing a tabletop press

  • Leah Smith
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 17 11:27 PM
      I'm looking for advice on pricing for a small tabletop press.

      I'm a novice printer and am looking to purchase a small press. I
      I've been looking at the C&P Pilot but also found a 9x12 Table
      Top Platen, completely gone over, good used rollers set up
      ready to print for $1300.00. I believe it's made by Craftsman and
      looks exactly like the Pilot. Is it "less valuable" because it's not
      made by C&P?

      If I bought it and later decided to sell it would I be able to get
      $1300 for it?

      This is a fairly rare press. Would I have difficulty finding parts for
      it or someone to work on it, if needed, in the Bay Area? I'd prefer
      this over the Pilot because of the larger chase.

      Is this a fair asking price? From what I've read on briarpress.org
      it says to expect to pay $700 for a Pilot. This same company is
      selling a Pilot for $1100 with new rollers.

      I'd be having this shipped from the East Coast. Is that foolish or
      are there places in the San Francisco Bay Area that I should be
      looking into for presses?

      What other questions should I be asking? Thank you very much
      for any advice you might offer.

      -Leah
    • David S. Rose
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 18 3:09 PM
        Leah,
        Is it a complete fraud and highway robbery? No. Is it very, very, VERY
        expensive for what you're getting relative to what you need? Definitely yes.
        The only situation in which I would not try to dissuade you from a purchase
        like this would be if you needed a press yesterday, had absolutely no
        inclination to do any work yourself, and had lots and lots of disposable
        cash such that an extra thousand bucks here or there wouldn't make a
        difference.

        Otherwise, with a little bit of looking and a little (not necessarily
        months and months worth, but a little) patience, you should be able to get
        yourself a decent Pilot, probably locally in the Bay Area, for something
        closer to $500.

        Let me suggest that before you do anything else you do the following:

        1) Take a look at the Introduction to Letterpress Printing at
        www.fiveroses.org/intro.htm

        2) Call one (or all) of the reputable dealers in letterpress equipment you
        will find listed there (and also in the Briar Press Directory), including
        Don Black and Dave Churchman. Although one is in the midwest and the other
        in Canada, they can both give you a very good sense of the market. You
        should also check out Jim Heagy, who has an enormous warehouse in San
        Francisco stocked with thousands of cases of type and lots of presses.

        3) Post a few notes online (particularly here, and on Letpress (the main
        letterpress mailing list), and SFLetterpress (the Bay Area group), as well
        as a classified want add on the Briar Press site, letting people know what
        you're looking for. Pilot's and Craftsmen are not particularly difficult to
        find, and when you do, they'll likely be going for a lot less than $1300.

        Good luck with your quest (and save your hard earned dollars!)

        -David S. Rose
        Five Roses Press
        New York, NY

        PS: The short answer to your question is that it is highly, highly, HIGHLY
        unlikely that you would be able to get $1300 for that press if you
        eventually decide to sell it.

        > From: Leah Smith <leah@...>
        > Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2004 06:27:52 -0000
        > To: "PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com" <PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com>
        > Subject: [PPLetterpress] Seeking advice for purchasing a tabletop press
        >
        > I'm looking for advice on pricing for a small tabletop press.
        >
        > I'm a novice printer and am looking to purchase a small press. I
        > I've been looking at the C&P Pilot but also found a 9x12 Table
        > Top Platen, completely gone over, good used rollers set up
        > ready to print for $1300.00. I believe it's made by Craftsman and
        > looks exactly like the Pilot. Is it "less valuable" because it's not
        > made by C&P?
        >
        > If I bought it and later decided to sell it would I be able to get
        > $1300 for it?
        >
        > This is a fairly rare press. Would I have difficulty finding parts for
        > it or someone to work on it, if needed, in the Bay Area? I'd prefer
        > this over the Pilot because of the larger chase.
        >
        > Is this a fair asking price? From what I've read on briarpress.org
        > it says to expect to pay $700 for a Pilot. This same company is
        > selling a Pilot for $1100 with new rollers.
        >
        > I'd be having this shipped from the East Coast. Is that foolish or
        > are there places in the San Francisco Bay Area that I should be
        > looking into for presses?
        >
        > What other questions should I be asking? Thank you very much
        > for any advice you might offer.
        >
        > -Leah
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • David Goodrich
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 18 7:25 PM
          I agree with David Rose's response, as always more eloquent and diplomatic
          than I am capable of.
          You should also check with John Barrett at "Letterpress Things"
          (letterpressthings@...) as he usually has a stock of tabletop presses in
          his inventory.
          However, I would suggest you give some thought as to where you want to be
          going and to whether a tabletop press will get you there. Most people
          either go for a super high quality proof press (such as a Vandercook) that
          is capable of very high quality work at a slow speed or a treadle (or motor)
          operated platen press (such as a C&P 8x12) which is capable of very good
          work and much more volume.
          I think $1300 would go far toward a very good piece of equipment in either
          direction.
          David.

          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 19 9:06 PM
            Hi,

            I am currently in need of a press. I only have experience on vandercook sp15 (polymer press) and to my disappointment, it seems that they are a rare item to come by....

            Does anyone know of one for sale that is up for sale and also of a person who can rent me time on a press while I am in search of one? Is there also another press that is similar to it that would be easier to find and purchase?

            Thank you much!

            Susan

            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 20 7:49 AM
              In a message dated 9/19/2004, s_park7@... writes:
              I am currently in need of a press. I only have experience on vandercook sp15
              (polymer press) and to my disappointment, it seems that they are a rare item
              to come by....

              Does anyone know of one for sale that is up for sale and also of a person who
              can rent me time on a press while I am in search of one? Is there also
              another press that is similar to it that would be easier to find and purchase?
              Hello Susan,
              It would help to know more details. First, where are you ? In the Denver area
              I'm happy to talk details about access to equipment....

              Considering what kind of press you need really depends on what you want to
              print. The SP 15 actually is not a "polymer press". It's a press that was
              designed for the limited purposes of making excellent proofs from metal type --
              originally intended to provide quality proofs for offset printing in the days
              before computer- or photo-typesetting was possible. Not really the right press if
              you want to print business cards or small invitations or multiple copies of
              many kinds of designs. It works beautifully for large forms and small editions.

              For photopolymer plates, the SP 15 may not be the best choice. A common
              platen press actually works fine for most polymer printing. The rolling motion of
              the cylinder on a Vandercook tends to cause the plate to move on its backing;
              the platen press hits the paper flat, with less tendancy to move the plate. I
              have both an SP 15 and a Chandler & Price platen (10x15), and generally prefer
              the platen for most kinds of work, both metal and polymer. It really depends
              on the size and demands of the design, with larger forms, large image surfaces,
              a need for heavier pressure, being the main factors favoring the SP 15.

              I'd recommend you take a look at the C&P or other platen presses, which are
              more available. While the flatbed Vandercook offers easy access to the type on
              the press, and has a certain current mystique, a platen offers other kinds of
              advantages. It's not hard to learn to use it comfortably.
              Best wishes, Tom

              Tom Parson
              Now It's Up To You Publications
              157 S. Logan, Denver CO 80209
              (303) 777-8951
              http://members.aol.com/typetom

            • David Beckham
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 2, 2004
                I have a C&P Pilot (which I completely stripped and repainted black
                when I got it) mounted on a wood stand with wheels located in Canoga
                Park (near LA). I also have a single Hamilton type cabinet (which I
                got without a top), four trays of type (don't remember the fonts off-
                hand and the trays are still taped over from when we moved), a bunch
                of coins, various cuts, some furniture, some ink. I'd like to sell
                the lot all at once for $750 (though I will certainly consider other
                offers). One gentleman asked about just the press and wanted it
                shipped (which would be fairly expensive as it's heavy and would have
                to be very carefully packaged--but could be done). The only thing I
                know that's out on the press is it's missing the little hairpin
                spring that (if I remember right) pops the paper lifter up or down.
                Press seemed to work OK without it. The rollers have only been used
                to print a couple of small jobs and are a couple of years old.

                When I bought the Hamilton cabinet I dis-assembled it and brought it
                home in the car, then put it back together (I guess it could be
                shipped too--but the whole thing would be easiest in a pick-up or
                small U-Haul.)

                I may be out of line on the price, but I'm going by what I paid (and
                the amount of work in refinishing the press ;-). Anyone is welcome
                to express what they think it should bring.

                Best regards,
                David Beckham

                --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "Leah Smith" <leah@a...> wrote:
                > I'm looking for advice on pricing for a small tabletop press.
                >
                > I'm a novice printer and am looking to purchase a small press. I
                > I've been looking at the C&P Pilot but also found a 9x12 Table
                > Top Platen, completely gone over, good used rollers set up
                > ready to print for $1300.00. I believe it's made by Craftsman and
                > looks exactly like the Pilot. Is it "less valuable" because it's
                not
                > made by C&P?
                >
                > If I bought it and later decided to sell it would I be able to get
                > $1300 for it?
                >
                > This is a fairly rare press. Would I have difficulty finding parts
                for
                > it or someone to work on it, if needed, in the Bay Area? I'd prefer
                > this over the Pilot because of the larger chase.
                >
                > Is this a fair asking price? From what I've read on briarpress.org
                > it says to expect to pay $700 for a Pilot. This same company is
                > selling a Pilot for $1100 with new rollers.
                >
                > I'd be having this shipped from the East Coast. Is that foolish or
                > are there places in the San Francisco Bay Area that I should be
                > looking into for presses?
                >
                > What other questions should I be asking? Thank you very much
                > for any advice you might offer.
                >
                > -Leah
              • Michael Andrews
                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 6, 2004