Re: [PPLetterpress] Re: another possible factor in exposing plates

  • Katie Harper
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 9, 2002
      > From: "Marnie Powers" <mpowers@...>
      > Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2002 11:29:26 -0700
      > To: PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
      > Cc: vhindley@...
      > Subject: [PPLetterpress] Re: another possible factor in exposing plates
      >
      > I have the image output
      > on imagesetting film with a stochastic screen at "80". The difficutly is
      > that the stochastic screen (as I understand it anyway) does not directly
      > translate to lpi.

      I'm unfamiliar with the term "stochastic" screen. Can you explain what this
      is? Thanks.

      Katie Harper
    • Marnie Powers
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 9, 2002
        Hi Katie-

        I'm willing to explain the stochastic screen to the best of my ability.
        As I understand it, it is not a random screen. Under a loupe it looks
        very similar to the grain of photographic film and paper. The screen
        applies a spattered pattern to the image, the dots occurring more
        frequently in dark areas than in the light areas. In terms of fooling the
        eye into thinking it's seeing grayscale, stochastic is the most effective
        screen currently availabe. Software is expensive, and I have my
        service bureau do it. It's not used for offset prepress work however, so
        finding a provider can be a little challenging.

        Best,

        Marnie

        To: <PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com>
        From: Katie Harper <knharper@...>
        Date sent: Wed, 09 Jan 2002 14:54:12 -0500
        Subject: Re: [PPLetterpress] Re: another possible factor in exposing plates
        Send reply to: PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com

        > From: "Marnie Powers" <mpowers@...>
        > Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2002 11:29:26 -0700
        > To: PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
        > Cc: vhindley@...
        > Subject: [PPLetterpress] Re: another possible factor in exposing plates
        >
        > I have the image output
        > on imagesetting film with a stochastic screen at "80". The difficutly is
        > that the stochastic screen (as I understand it anyway) does not directly
        > translate to lpi.

        I'm unfamiliar with the term "stochastic" screen. Can you explain what this
        is? Thanks.

        Katie Harper

        PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com

        To log on to the groupsite (confirmed Yahoo ID required), go to
        http://groups.yahoogroups.com/group/PPLetterpress
        [copious reference sources can be found onsite in Bookmarks (URLs),
        Database (tables), Files (documents), and Messages (archives)]

        Encountering problems? send an email to
        PPLetterpress-owner@yahoogroups.com

        To unsubscribe, send an email to

        Marnie Powers-Torrey
        Studio Manager
        Book Arts Program
        J.Willard Marriott Library
        (801)585-9191
      • bielerpr
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 9, 2002
          Marnie Powers wrote:

          > I'm willing to explain the stochastic screen to the best of my ability.
          > As I understand it, it is not a random screen. Under a loupe it looks
          > very similar to the grain of photographic film and paper. The screen
          > applies a spattered pattern to the image, the dots occurring more
          > frequently in dark areas than in the light areas. In terms of fooling the
          > eye into thinking it's seeing grayscale, stochastic is the most effective
          > screen currently availabe. Software is expensive, and I have my
          > service bureau do it. It's not used for offset prepress work however, so
          > finding a provider can be a little challenging.

          Dear Marnie

          Have you tried ISIS Icefields (grayscale software, renders
          stochastic, available as a plug-in for Photoshop)? Heard great
          things, especially for inkjet.

          http://www.isisimaging.com

          Gerald
        • Mark Attwood
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 10, 2002
            Marnie,

            It was a few years ago that I did the research into the different
            wavelengths, and it seems I haven't filed it. The suppliers of the plates
            will be able to tell you the best wavelength to expose their plates, and the
            suppliers of the bulbs will give you detailed info on the output wavelength
            of the lamp. If I remember correctly there was only a small overlap at one
            end of the spectrum, and this is why the metal halide will work, but only
            with such a long exposure.

            let me know what you find out,

            Regards,
            Mark.

            Mark Attwood

            The Artists' Press
            Box 623
            Newtown
            2113
            South Africa

            Tel. +27 11 836 5474
            fax. +27 11 836 6858
            mark@...

            ----------

            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 11, 2002
              Gerald

              I'm so glad that I joined this list. I've learned so much already! Your
              referrals have been extraordinarilly helpful, and the discussion is to
              the point and interesting.

              Best,
              Marnie

              To: PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com