Re: another possible factor in exposing plates

  • bielerpr
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 9, 2002
      Dear Marnie

      Here's a useful page with a lot of links re: the halftone process

      http://halftones.info/

      For further ref this is in Bookmarks under Tech Info

      Gerald
    • Katie Harper
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 9, 2002
        > From: "Marnie Powers" <mpowers@...>
        > Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2002 11:29:26 -0700
        > To: PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
        > Cc: vhindley@...
        > Subject: [PPLetterpress] Re: another possible factor in exposing plates
        >
        > I have the image output
        > on imagesetting film with a stochastic screen at "80". The difficutly is
        > that the stochastic screen (as I understand it anyway) does not directly
        > translate to lpi.

        I'm unfamiliar with the term "stochastic" screen. Can you explain what this
        is? Thanks.

        Katie Harper
      • Marnie Powers
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 9, 2002
          Hi Katie-

          I'm willing to explain the stochastic screen to the best of my ability.
          As I understand it, it is not a random screen. Under a loupe it looks
          very similar to the grain of photographic film and paper. The screen
          applies a spattered pattern to the image, the dots occurring more
          frequently in dark areas than in the light areas. In terms of fooling the
          eye into thinking it's seeing grayscale, stochastic is the most effective
          screen currently availabe. Software is expensive, and I have my
          service bureau do it. It's not used for offset prepress work however, so
          finding a provider can be a little challenging.

          Best,

          Marnie

          To: <PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com>
          From: Katie Harper <knharper@...>
          Date sent: Wed, 09 Jan 2002 14:54:12 -0500
          Subject: Re: [PPLetterpress] Re: another possible factor in exposing plates
          Send reply to: PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com

          > From: "Marnie Powers" <mpowers@...>
          > Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2002 11:29:26 -0700
          > To: PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
          > Cc: vhindley@...
          > Subject: [PPLetterpress] Re: another possible factor in exposing plates
          >
          > I have the image output
          > on imagesetting film with a stochastic screen at "80". The difficutly is
          > that the stochastic screen (as I understand it anyway) does not directly
          > translate to lpi.

          I'm unfamiliar with the term "stochastic" screen. Can you explain what this
          is? Thanks.

          Katie Harper

          PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com

          To log on to the groupsite (confirmed Yahoo ID required), go to
          http://groups.yahoogroups.com/group/PPLetterpress
          [copious reference sources can be found onsite in Bookmarks (URLs),
          Database (tables), Files (documents), and Messages (archives)]

          Encountering problems? send an email to
          PPLetterpress-owner@yahoogroups.com

          To unsubscribe, send an email to

          Marnie Powers-Torrey
          Studio Manager
          Book Arts Program
          J.Willard Marriott Library
          (801)585-9191
        • bielerpr
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 9, 2002
            Marnie Powers wrote:

            > I'm willing to explain the stochastic screen to the best of my ability.
            > As I understand it, it is not a random screen. Under a loupe it looks
            > very similar to the grain of photographic film and paper. The screen
            > applies a spattered pattern to the image, the dots occurring more
            > frequently in dark areas than in the light areas. In terms of fooling the
            > eye into thinking it's seeing grayscale, stochastic is the most effective
            > screen currently availabe. Software is expensive, and I have my
            > service bureau do it. It's not used for offset prepress work however, so
            > finding a provider can be a little challenging.

            Dear Marnie

            Have you tried ISIS Icefields (grayscale software, renders
            stochastic, available as a plug-in for Photoshop)? Heard great
            things, especially for inkjet.

            http://www.isisimaging.com

            Gerald
          • Mark Attwood
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 10, 2002
              Marnie,

              It was a few years ago that I did the research into the different
              wavelengths, and it seems I haven't filed it. The suppliers of the plates
              will be able to tell you the best wavelength to expose their plates, and the
              suppliers of the bulbs will give you detailed info on the output wavelength
              of the lamp. If I remember correctly there was only a small overlap at one
              end of the spectrum, and this is why the metal halide will work, but only
              with such a long exposure.

              let me know what you find out,

              Regards,
              Mark.

              Mark Attwood

              The Artists' Press
              Box 623
              Newtown
              2113
              South Africa

              Tel. +27 11 836 5474
              fax. +27 11 836 6858
              mark@...

              ----------

              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 11, 2002
                Gerald

                I'm so glad that I joined this list. I've learned so much already! Your
                referrals have been extraordinarilly helpful, and the discussion is to
                the point and interesting.

                Best,
                Marnie

                To: PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com