The End of Film [thread was Image Setters]

    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 9, 2004
      I guess it's quite clear, and has been for some time, that we will be
      seeing more and more film-related sources drying up as the years pass
      by, but I`d think this is not an immediate concern (as long as there
      is a group of willing buyers, there usually are willing sellers). On
      the other hand, direct-to-plate imaging technologies continue to
      evolve and several of these look potentially useful. It's really a
      matter of paying attention to this and exploiting the little tidbits
      that will be handed down to us from the industry.

      From my little perch here: We are witness to an unprecedented and
      phenomenal increase in activity in non-industry letterpress over the
      last several years but this "letterpress bubble" seems to have little
      to do with the old metal type technologies (since those resources
      continue to dwindle away from lack of market—though the "romance" of
      "metal" is without question the attraction, it's not like the mass of
      new entries to the field are actually out there buying new type or
      building metal type collections). We have purchased a little time with
      digital type technologies and the photopolymer plate process, but as
      we near the end of that cycle, future survival is a matter of making
      adjustments. Assuming they can be made (and our work is not forced to
      suffer a decline in quality as a result) and that we are willing. It
      is not only film we have to worry about, digital type technologies as
      well have been undergoing significant change, and much of this is not
      in our best interests.

      Gerald