Re: [PPLetterpress] Re: honeycomb bases

    Message 1 of 32 , Sep 6, 2004
      Mike

      Thanks for the return. I wasn't questioning quality as much as wondering
      about this technical issue. I'd assume that if your are printing a
      sixteen page body you aren't going beyond certain impression levels. If
      it looks good to you that is all that matters.

      So I guess my question was misdirected.

      I don't know if photopolymer distorts under extreme impression anymore
      than other plates or type would. More impression, more wider the
      appearance with accumulating ink gain. Hard to actually gauge this. If a
      number of folks suspect photopolymer spreads more than other materials,
      it probably does. I don't have any experience with extreme impression
      but I've thought that the increase letterform expansion was a
      combination of normal processing and, to some extent, exposure rates.
      Prior to presswork. And that any further growth was "normal" with
      increasing impression and accumulating ink. But, because there were
      these questions, I pursued it. I don't have any technical information on
      the effect of extreme impression on photopolymer except to note that
      photopolymer is used for embossing and debossing and no one previously
      had complained about distortion of letterforms.

      What is your Humorlist Times about by the way?

      Hope you don't mind these further questions but
      how did you come up with the idea of using the plates with the
      honeycomb? Just a lightbulb that went on? And what is the thickness of
      your precut sheet metal? How do you bevel the edge?

      Gerald

      Michael T. Metz wrote:

      >Gerald you'll have to be the judge with your own eye.
      >I'm not being flip, I merely don't have you experience
      >to judge the quality. It looks good to me! If anyone
      >is interested send me $4.60 and I'll send you a sample
      >issue of "The Humoralist Times" which the sixteen page
      >body was printed with this method.
      >
      >Mike
      >
      >Lamppost Press
      >7 East 7th St.
      >Suite 2
      >Lawrence, KS 66044

    • Michael T. Metz
      Message 32 of 32 , Sep 13, 2004
        Thanks for the plug Gerald. I apologize that my website is not yet up and
        running.

        All the best,
        Mike