FontLab and the Cabarga book

    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 4, 2004
      FontLab has put up a new site with forums for users at

      http://www.pyrus.com/index.php

      This is apparently, as I understand it, a temporary site that will be
      eventually incorporated into

      http://www.fontlab.com

      but in actuality is probably just a move away from

      http://groups.msn.com/FontLab

      Of some interest is the very recent publication of _Learn FontLab
      Fast_ by Lesie Cabarga

      http://www.logofontandlettering.com/

      I was hoping this would help solve a lot of the problems encountered
      with the FontLab manual, which is typically inscrutable (for a
      font-editing software manual). I can't say that the Cabarga effort
      actually makes things all that more understandable (one still needs
      the manual) but there are moments of clarity that are worth the price
      of admission.

      On the other hand, a while back I put together a sequence that one can
      follow to configure a PostScript Type 1 digital font for letterpress
      with FontLab (based on the similar script for Fontographer). This
      actually works quite well by the way. Once you get used to it you can
      render an instance in less than five minutes time. If there is any
      interest I will put the sequence in the Files section. I haven't put
      together a sequence to successfully configure OpenType format fonts
      because the fields that may or may not be incorporated are a bit
      problematic (to explain). The Cabarga book does help with this but
      actually only if you are already somewhat familiar with the coding
      requirement (the real fault of the book is that you already have to be
      familiar with FontLab to catch all the useful points).

      The reason I continually campaign for letterpress configuration (with
      software that is readily available), simply put, is because it will
      make your type look better when printed with the photopolymer process.
      I also realize most folks could care less and will use digital type
      straight out of the can, so to speak. But with configuration there is
      "potential" for better work, and that I think, is always worthy of
      consideration. At least, I would hope so.

      Gerald
    • Michael Andrews
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 4, 2004
        Hi Gerald

        Yes, please do put the sequence in the files.

        micael

        http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/mFXtlB/TM

        http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
      • David Wall
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 7, 2004
          I second Michael's motion: please do put the sequence in the publicly
          available files.

          Thanks,

          Dave

          ________________
          David P. Wall
          The Applecart Press, LLC
          14 Maine Street, Box 43
          Brunswick, ME 04011
          Tel. 207-373-1690
          Fax 207-373-1691

          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 7, 2004
            Dave

            Here 'tis.

            Files > Articles, reference, and other downloadable materials >
            Typeface reconstruction & configuration >

            Gerald