Re: fonts, letterpress configuration

  • bielerpr
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 8, 2002
      Hi Tom

      Well, essentially you want to have the printed piece look like it was
      printed with metal. Maybe. But most digital fonts need a slight
      weight reduction to accomplish this, to counteract ink spread,
      provide an even color to the letterform as well as the page, etc.
      More importantly to hold to the original design of the digital face
      which can quickly have problems with ink gain and increased
      impression. These are problems digital faces do not often encounter,
      especially since, except for a great rarity, no one designs faces for
      us, the letterpess folk.

      Used straight out of the can the results are not often good. But some
      faces do perform well, eg the Lanston Type Co issue, dfTYPE's Rialto
      (actually designed for letterpress), some of the Monotype Typography
      revivals, HTF Didot, etc, and that is why we are trying to draw up a
      list.

      A more important problem is optical ranging. I will invariably alter
      fonts so that I do have an optical sizing effect. Often as many as
      four to six variances dependent upon the sizes I will need in the
      finished piece. This is usually accomplished in a font-editing
      program but there are also some built-in ways to do this, multiple
      master fonts, possibly open type fonts, built-in sizing such as with
      Justin Howes' Founder's Caslon, etc.

      Of course we are not yet talking about printing or printing techniques.
      But perhaps we should one of these days.

      Both dfTYPE and H W Caslon Co Ltd (Howes) are members here, and would
      probably welcome inquiries.

      Sort of the short quick response here.

      All best

      Gerald

    • typetom@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 8, 2002
        << most digital fonts need a slight weight reduction ..., to counteract ink
        spread, provide an even color to the letterform as well as the page, etc....
        to hold to the original design of the digital face >>

        Pretty much what I thought you were refering to with the term "letterpress
        configuration." In practice, mostly, I tend to work with what is given. If
        the digital typeface prints slightly heavier with letterpress, that's what I
        plan for in the page design. A type design can be quirky or out of balance in
        many ways. Maybe fontographer and editing capabilities of the computer now
        allow us to meddle with such things (in ways that the old compositor could
        not, short of the kinds of tricks Bruce Rogers became known for). But mostly
        I live with it, and try to fit the quirks and design weaknesses into the
        typographic decisions -- or I just don't use that font for that situation.

        Sure, multiple masters, optical sizing, the wonderful recent work with
        Caslon, are the right way to go. A discussion of what makes some digital
        fonts work better than others also makes good sense. But I'd hate to dismiss
        the fonts and choices we have in front of us -- as if good work can only be
        done with perfectly designed fonts. Seems to me the job of the printer always
        involves working with necessary compromises. In metal type, the printer
        devised letter-spacing to make caps aesthetically pleasing. While he might
        have demanded more kerned letters (or more ligatures and logo-types) from the
        type designer instead, I think perhaps the letter-spaced setting was a worthy
        solution. Conservatively, I am troubled by over-lapped letters (or such
        things as letter-spaced italics) now occurring just because the computer
        makes them easily possible.

        A bunch of complex issues, I guess. In practice, I'd back off the polymer
        exposure time if possible and watch the inking very carefully, be aware of
        the distortions that can occur, but never decide I can't make good printing
        and creative design just because I am given a limitation to start. On the
        other hand, maybe you're of a mind to do the William Morris trick, and just
        change the whole danged pallette! Press on, press on!
        Tom

        Tom Parson
        Now It's Up To You Publications
        157 S. Logan, Denver CO 80209
        (303) 777-8951
        http://members.aol.com/typetom
      • David Glover
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 9, 2002
          If it is not too much trouble...what kind of tricks did Bruce Rogers use?
          I'm not looking for a complete list...just a few examples.