Shop move/Vandercook question

  • innererklang@aol.com
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 26, 2004
      All--
      Innerer Klang Press just completed its move from Charlestown, MA to
      Asheville, NC last week. I don't know if any of you have moved an entire letterpress
      shop out of state before, but be warned, you've got some tense moments ahead of
      you. But it is done and it is beautiful here. The new shop is in an old brick
      tannery building on the edge of town built in 1904. The presses seem quite at
      home.
      One question--although most things seem to have made the journey
      unscathed--OK, there was the one galley rack that fell over when the movers tried to get
      it on the truck, but fortunately the galleys were well wrapped--I do notice
      something on the Vandercook that I can't quite figure out. When the motor is on
      and I begin to crank the rollers over the bed, the small gear on the back form
      roller grinds a bit when engaging the gears along the track. Seems that
      something has gone out of alignment. Any suggestions for correcting this?
      Otherwise, if you are ever in the Asheville area: Innerer Klang Letterpress,
      191 Lyman St., #103B, Asheville, NC 28801 (828.253.3711)

      Mark Olson
    • Fritz Klinke
      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 26, 2004
        Mark--Which Vandercook do you have--model #?

        Fritz

      • innererklang@aol.com
        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 27, 2004
          Fritz--
          I have a SP-20 Vandercook. The noise is not a horrible grinding, just a
          little sound like scraping metal as the teeth engage.

          Mark
        • Malcolm Dean
          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 27, 2004
            Mark:

            I have an SP20 too. When the movers moved the press, did they use a
            forklift? If so, how did they lift the press? Did they put it on skids
            and/or a palette, and lift by the skids, or did they lift it by forking
            under the press itself directly and lifting by the crossbars?

            Malcolm

            --- innererklang@... wrote:

            > Fritz--
            > I have a SP-20 Vandercook. The noise is not a horrible grinding, just
            > little sound like scraping metal as the teeth engage.
            >
            > Mark

            =====
            Malcolm Dean
            1887 - 35th Avenue
            San Francisco, CA 94122
            415.564.5646
          • typetom@aol.com
            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 27, 2004
              In a message dated 8/27/2004 innererklang@... writes:
              I have a SP-20 Vandercook. The noise is not a horrible grinding, just a
              little sound like scraping metal as the teeth engage.
              Hi Mark,
              I have an SP15 and have occasionally had this happen. I have associated it
              with the geared roller being adjusted slightly too high (or a high form perhaps)
              so it doesn't allow the teeth to mesh deeply enough. Check to be sure the
              rollers are seated correctly first, then try lowering them slightly.

              Or maybe there's another answer I should know about as well!
              Best wishes, Tom

              Tom Parson
              Now It's Up To You Publications
              157 S. Logan, Denver CO 80209
              (303) 777-8951
              http://members.aol.com/typetom

            • v918man
              Message 6 of 14 , Aug 27, 2004
                Mark,

                Beside checking roller height there is another cause that is --- in my experience ---
                typical with with the SP-20.

                On the collar of the form roller drive gear there is a hex head screw that fixes the gear on
                the roller core. Screw should contact a flat recess on the core.

                When loose the gear can move will drag as it moves forward and may meander from side
                to side and thus not travel on along its gear rack in a straight line. It may even contact the
                cylinder gear rack. Center on core and tighten.

                If it will not stay tight either the hole of the gear is reamed out or the screw is stripped.

                Paul
                Message 7 of 14 , Aug 27, 2004
                  I'd also check to make sure that the engagement track (where the
                  roller gear makes first contact) is working properly and is not loose,
                  is properly lubricated, spring is not broken...

                  Gerald

                • innererklang@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 14 , Aug 27, 2004
                    Malcolm--
                    The movers I used said they could move anything, but I don't think they had
                    had much experience moving presses. And with this company, the driver shows up
                    alone and hires temps to help with the rest--OK for moving boxes, but no clue
                    about anything else. Fortunately, the driver did seem to have a lot of
                    experience moving heavy things--just not presses. As I recall, he used a variety of
                    equipment (I'm already trying to forget the dirty details). He used something
                    called a Rola-Lift (I think) to lift one end and then blocked it up and then
                    used a palate-jack with a heavy sheet of plywood to slip under the belly of the
                    press. I warned against this, as it's just sheet metal in the middle, but he
                    said don't worry. Right. But it moved without incident. On the Asheville end my
                    landlord had a forklift which he used to move the press from the truck into
                    the shop, then back to the palate-jack and a lot of hired muscle to get it in
                    place. Not a pretty picture, but when you are moving on a limited budget, what c
                    an you do?

                    Mark
                  • Fritz Klinke
                    Message 9 of 14 , Aug 27, 2004
                      The worst thing you can hear from a mover--"but he
                      said don't worry."

                      Fritz

                      > The movers I used said they could move anything, but I don't think they had
                      > had much experience moving presses. And with this company, the driver shows up
                      > alone and hires temps to help with the rest--OK for moving boxes, but no clue
                      > about anything else. Fortunately, the driver did seem to have a lot of
                      > experience moving heavy things--just not presses. As I recall, he used a
                      variety of
                      > equipment (I'm already trying to forget the dirty details). He used something
                      > called a Rola-Lift (I think) to lift one end and then blocked it up and then
                      > used a palate-jack with a heavy sheet of plywood to slip under the belly of
                      the
                      > press. I warned against this, as it's just sheet metal in the middle, but he
                      > said don't worry. Right. But it moved without incident. On the Asheville end
                      my
                      > landlord had a forklift which he used to move the press from the truck into
                      > the shop, then back to the palate-jack and a lot of hired muscle to get it in
                      > place. Not a pretty picture, but when you are moving on a limited budget, what
                      > an you do?
                      >
                      > Mark
                      >

                      > Yahoo! Groups Links

                    • Fritz Klinke
                      Message 10 of 14 , Aug 27, 2004
                        You'll note on that form roller gear that the teeth are rounded. This is not a
                        normal practice but it is specifically called out on the Vandercook print for
                        that gear. I have a normal gear without the rounded teeth and I can't tell any
                        difference in operation. I think the gear teeth may have excessive wear, and Tom
                        has hit on a meshing problem as the teeth wear. The little spring loaded
                        starting tooth on the gear rack is to allow for the roller gear to be in the
                        proper position--if the spring is broken or missing, it could be that the gear
                        is out of snyc with the bed rack when the cylinder starts forward.

                        Fritz

                        > I have a SP-20 Vandercook. The noise is not a horrible grinding, just a
                        > little sound like scraping metal as the teeth engage.
                        > Hi Mark,
                        > I have an SP15 and have occasionally had this happen. I have associated it
                        > with the geared roller being adjusted slightly too high (or a high form
                        perhaps)
                        > so it doesn't allow the teeth to mesh deeply enough. Check to be sure the
                        > rollers are seated correctly first, then try lowering them slightly.
                        >
                        > Or maybe there's another answer I should know about as well!
                        > Best wishes, Tom
                        >
                        > Tom Parson
                        > Now It's Up To You Publications
                        > 157 S. Logan, Denver CO 80209
                        > (303) 777-8951
                        > http://members.aol.com/typetom

                      • Chris Papasadero
                        Message 11 of 14 , Aug 27, 2004
                          I'd be interested to know how, exactly, you moved that vandercook,
                          considering the size of most vandys...

                          Thanks a ton,
                          Chris Papasadero, Portland, OR, and ownder of a 3100 lb vandy 219p that I
                          still haven't figured out how to move...

                          Mark--Which Vandercook do you have--model #?

                          Fritz

                          > Innerer Klang Press just completed its move from Charlestown, MA to
                          > Asheville, NC last week. I don't know if any of you have moved an entire
                          letterpress
                          > shop out of state before, but be warned, you've got some tense moments
                          ahead
                          of
                          > you. But it is done and it is beautiful here. The new shop is in an old
                          brick
                          > tannery building on the edge of town built in 1904. The presses seem quite
                          at
                          > home.
                          > One question--although most things seem to have made the journey
                          > unscathed--OK, there was the one galley rack that fell over when the
                          movers
                          tried to get
                          > it on the truck, but fortunately the galleys were well wrapped--I do
                          notice
                          > something on the Vandercook that I can't quite figure out. When the motor
                          is
                          on
                          > and I begin to crank the rollers over the bed, the small gear on the back
                          form
                          > roller grinds a bit when engaging the gears along the track. Seems that
                          > something has gone out of alignment. Any suggestions for correcting this?
                          > Otherwise, if you are ever in the Asheville area: Innerer Klang
                          Letterpress,
                          > 191 Lyman St., #103B, Asheville, NC 28801 (828.253.3711)
                          >
                          > Mark Olson

                          Yahoo! Groups Links
                        • innererklang@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 14 , Aug 28, 2004
                            Chris--
                            Having just had a Vandercook moved, one would think I would have plenty of
                            advice on how to move a Vandercook. My one bit of advice would be, if you can
                            afford it, have professional riggers involved, or at least someone who has moved
                            letterpresses before. I feel lucky that my presses arrived basically
                            undamaged and in working order, but I don't think I would go my route again--like I'll
                            ever move again. Having seen a few presses moved over the years, it has
                            seemed to me that the best and safest method is to block up the press at its
                            strongest points and get it securely positioned on 4 x 4s or a pallet and then move
                            it with either a pallet jack or forklift. Like I know what I'm talking
                            about--again, find professionals who know what they're doing. You can do great damage
                            to yourself or the press. They ain't beanbags. Good luck.

                            Mark
                          • Jessica Spring
                            Message 13 of 14 , Aug 29, 2004
                              Chris--
                              I moved two vandys from Chicago to Tacoma and used a local rigger to unload
                              into my studio--Nelson Trucking, http://www.nelsontrucking.com/
                              I'm not sure what it would cost to have them come to OR, but maybe they can
                              recommend locals??
                              Good luck,
                              Jessica

                              Jessica Spring
                              SPRINGTIDE PRESS
                              http://www.springtidepress.com
                              253.627.8629

                            • arizonaprinter@yahoo.com
                              Message 14 of 14 , Aug 29, 2004
                                I just have to say this being a printer as well as being part of a family
                                owns equipment moving company. Sometime we may only move 1 model of
                                equipment once or twice. If you want the equipment moved right hire a
                                professional rigger and know your machine. Tell them where to brace it
                                where are the week spots are. By doing this it will make your move better
                                and eliminated any breakage. I have moved small and large offset and letter
                                presses and each one is different. We have a notebook with all of the model
                                we have moved and the best and worst way to move them. For instance certain
                                model of Kluge's have slightly different clearance on the base. It makes
                                the difference between just picking it up with a forklift and having to
                                brace it. All Equipment has its own personality to move Vandercooks are no
                                different. We do not put items on pallets to move them unless it is
                                specified by the customer. It takes time and costs money and time.
                                Generally we have to custom make the pallets which takes a fair amount of
                                time to do it right. We moved a piece of machinery that if the customer had
                                not told us that the base was unstable do to being rewelded many years ago
                                we might have destroyed it but because he told us we picked it up from the
                                top with chains and no problems. A Vandercook is a relatively small Item to
                                move. It actually moves very easily if done properly. Just remember do
                                your homework and prep the machine as much as possible prior to the riggers
                                moving it. Take off the handles and any loose items. Remember rigger just
                                move equipment they are NOT mechanics by trade. That is why there are
                                Riggers, and Erectors on large presses.

                                Sorry for rambling but you as the press owner must know the press in order
                                to have someone move it who may have never seen one before.

                                Sean
                                From: Jessica Spring <springtide@...>
                                Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2004 21:33:25 -0500
                                To: <PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com>

                                Chris--
                                I moved two vandys from Chicago to Tacoma and used a local rigger to unload
                                into my studio--Nelson Trucking, http://www.nelsontrucking.com/
                                I'm not sure what it would cost to have them come to OR, but maybe they can
                                recommend locals??
                                Good luck,
                                Jessica

                                Jessica Spring
                                SPRINGTIDE PRESS
                                http://www.springtidepress.com
                                253.627.8629

                                > From: "Chris Papasadero" <cp@...>
                                > Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2004 19:34:46 -0700
                                > To: <PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com>
                                > Subject: RE: [PPLetterpress] Shop move/Vandercook question
                                >
                                > I'd be interested to know how, exactly, you moved that vandercook,
                                > considering the size of most vandys...
                                >
                                > Thanks a ton,
                                > Chris Papasadero, Portland, OR, and ownder of a 3100 lb vandy 219p that I
                                > still haven't figured out how to move...

                                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ADVERTISEMENT

                                Yahoo! Groups Links
                                To visit your group on the web, go to:

                                <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .